Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Delicious Failure (Read 4977 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Delicious Failure
Reply #15 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 6:38pm

The one thing I’ve seen on “chi” that I cannot explain was an episode of “Ripley’s Believe it or Not”. Season 1, episode 13. Yes, yes...I know. Ripleys. Not exactly MIT. But they had a FLIR camera and frankly I cannot understand how it was done if it was a trick. Wish I could find a high quality clip of that episode showing it.

I posted this here years and years ago and never got a solid explanation and this was with Bikewer, probably the most skeptical person this forum has ever seen trying to explain it away. But the explanations did not explain what was being seen so what I did was just say “huh, weird” and put it on the back burner of my mind so to speak until someone else found something.

There is also a video with John Chang I believe his name was who seemed to be able to create electrical impulses at will. You can find it on YouTube. Can’t really explain that although I chalk up the rest of his supposed “powers” to “I don’t care, just show me how the electrical stuff is done.” But you can see him do it on scientists and there is no doubt it’s happening.

As for using “chi” or whatever to shoot fireballs or whatever some of the practitioners claim, I don’t buy it and I don’t think it had anything to do with that kind of stuff initially when it was being “learned” by people years ago.

In the end, it’s like asking the difference between ignorance and indifference. I don’t know and I don’t care.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #16 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 10:55pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 15th, 2021 at 6:38pm:
As for using “chi” or whatever to shoot fireballs or whatever some of the practitioners claim, I don’t buy it and I don’t think it had anything to do with that kind of stuff initially when it was being “learned” by people years ago.

In the end, it’s like asking the difference between ignorance and indifference. I don’t know and I don’t care.

What are you talking about?  Fireballs are totally real.  I've seen them!

Over 9,000 times!

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 1:32am

Oxnate wrote on Mar 15th, 2021 at 10:55pm:
Morphy wrote on Mar 15th, 2021 at 6:38pm:

What are you talking about?  Fireballs are totally real.  I've seen them!

Over 9,000 times!

I’m going to laugh if we all go to Mallorca and you start screaming “Hadouken!” At the Balearic target.

Now damnit, how do you post GIFS here Ox! I knew at one time. I’m drawing a blank.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #18 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 9:50am

How to post gifs:

1. Make sure you're pronouncing it Gif, not Jif.  It won't work otherwise.

2. Find someone else's gif and copy the URL.

3. Use the Insert Image button at the top. 

(img)Url.com(/img)

I replaced the brackets so you can see.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 9:57am

I swear I tried that but I was pronouncing it bif which may have been the problem

[url]<iframe src="https://gifer.com/embed/8I4H" width=480 height=414.951 frameBorder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://gifer.com">via GIFER</a></p>[/url]

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #20 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 6:46pm

Here, as a mod, you should be able to look at the code I typed.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #21 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 8:35am

Rat Man wrote on Mar 15th, 2021 at 4:05pm:
Morphy wrote on Mar 15th, 2021 at 2:12pm:
Slyngorm wrote on Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:04am:
James Randi exposes James Hydrick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CASghTzNhc&list=PLRVUTcvx7LpEzm5LRmPCO2iUqlisMG...

Morphy wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 10:08am:
. I took it for a little while. It’s complete nonsense IMO. No offense to those who do it. It’s beautiful just not effective.

Most martial arts are made to be performed in accordance with specific rules. So they are so to say not fake, they are just a system that only works within said system and not in a street fight. Even MMA contains some rules that it in real life would be better without, like eye pricking, throat punching, spine kicking, etc.
Outside MMA there still are martial arts that are more usable in real life than other.
Quick tip: any striking martial art that doesn't allow punches or kicks to the head is no good for street fighting.
Most grappling arts are also at least a bit out in the cold since rolling around on the ground while surrounded by your opponent's friends can't be healthy. But I am NOT an expert in this.

Oxnate wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 4:58pm:
Where the "chi master" says the guy wasn't affected because he had his tongue or toes in the right/wrong places.   

An episode of Is it Real on NatGeo examined this sport and one guy they interviewed came up with this EXACT excuse. Say what you want but at least they have systematized their chi.   

My big 5:

BJJ
Wrestling
Boxing
Muay Thai
Judo.

If I could go back in time I would probably focus on BJJ, Muay Thai and Judo. But you cant go wrong with wrestling or boxing. Both are deadly when used correctly.

I would also spend a lot of time use Qi Gong to see if the whole chi thing has anything to it. I dont think a person can really truly judge unless they have experience with something.

Your big five is sort of similar to what I learned; wrestling, boxing, Tae Kwon Do, Street Fighting Techniques, Kung Fu, Judo, and Hapkido. To be successful in the real world you have to have a ground game.  Pure strikers just don't make it in MMA.  Wrestling is a great base to work from. 
      In the 70s when I got almost all of my formal training BJJ just wasn't a thing.  It really didn't become popular until the advent of MMA.  Consequently, it's the one hole in my training that I regret.  Sometimes I entertain the notion of learning it now.  I certainly have the time.  If my knees were in better shape then maybe... But at the age of 66 doing so would almost assuredly be beyond what this aging carcass could endure. 

And then there is the very best and most realistic martial art: carrying a knife.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #22 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 9:29am

Quote:
lol - we'll agree to disagree.

Ok  Sad

Quote:
electrical fields - particularly the weak ones that control our bodies can be easily manipulated.

Our nervous system is 100% electrical. Our brain is also. All the chemical reactions that comprise a working human being, all eventually come down to the exchange of electrically charged particles.
The atoms that make up our bodies are all held together with electrical fields.

It's pretty easy (relatively speaking) to learn how to control your own, and from there to control or effect others.

If you can control electric fields then you should be able to measure this with a voltmeter. Also the brain and nervous system have chemical components to them, it's not a full electrical system.

Quote:
There is only so far scepticiam and western science will take you, once you've done and experienced things it doesn't explain.

And to be fair there is so much that our current science base eithr gnore or just plain gets wrong - that the first thing any competent scinetist needs to admit is that we do not know everything.
As soon as you think you do know everything - you cease to be a scientist and become a fanatic.

Well I'd argue that 'scientists' aren't generally asserting they know anything for sure, let alone everything, it's a key principle of science that everything is up for revision. However, with that there is a responsibility to reject claims that are unfounded and unevidenced. In other words you can reject theories based on evidence but you can't prove a theory correct with evidence.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 9:32am

Wow...such...incredible power at my command...

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #24 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 10:27am

Quote:
And then there is the very best and most realistic martial art: carrying a knife.

I'd say yes and no. It's extremely difficult to defend against a knife which is something often not acknowledged in TMA and not drilled or attempted in more sport based MA. However, carrying a knife is an extreme escalation of any conflict into literal life and death territory, and is not appropriate for many physical confrontations. There are also serious legal penalties in many places for even suspicious carrying of a knife.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #25 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 10:39am

Also, involving a knife increases the chances of someone getting cut very significantly. Even if you are the person who brings the knife into that situation, your chance of getting cut also goes up. Better to not have a knife involved at all frankly.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #26 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 1:57pm

I'm the guy who brings a cane to a knife fight.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:53pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #27 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 11:15pm

Quote:

Seriously..who does this?  If someone is carrying a knife, I’d say it’s not only suspicious... it’s downright irresponsible.

I mean, come on! You should know better than to bring a knife to a knife fight. You should have your primary fixed blade, a tactical folder as backup, a neck knife, a boot knife, at least four karambits hidden about your person, and maybe a spare razor blade in your wallet... you know,  just in case.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #28 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:44am

Long sword in the back scabbard too.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 8:30am

Kick wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:44am:
Long sword in the back scabbard too.

I feel like that might be a bit excessive kick.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)