Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Delicious Failure (Read 4978 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Delicious Failure
Mar 13th, 2021 at 7:08am

I love watching psychics and fake martial artists fail miserably. It brings sunshine to my heart.  Ill start out with this one.

https://youtu.be/t07UzTcApMI

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: Delicious Failure
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 9:23am

Oh my gosh, that was cringe worthy.

I prefer fake martial arts.

https://youtu.be/Q0rWtZlzfGE

https://youtu.be/N8t_73QjtwA

Then there's Martial Arts Journey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_jGOXqkZno&ab_channel=MartialArtsJourney

He was an Akido blackbelt and instructor.  But when he realized that Akido was fake, he closed his school and started doing MMA.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 10:08am

Oxnate wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 9:23am:

He was an Akido blackbelt and instructor.  But when he realized that Akido was fake, he closed his school and started doing MMA.

Nice! I thought I had seen them all but the aikido one was new. Good for that honest Aikido guy. I took it for a little while. It’s complete nonsense IMO. No offense to those who do it. It’s beautiful just not effective.

I bet you will like this Ox.  Grin

https://youtu.be/dOOh2J1b3lQ

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 10:54am

I'm so glad you shared the fight between the "Chi master" and the guy that knows how to throw a punch. The schadenfreude of watching that guy get rocked is hard to beat. Also the woman getting absolutely steamrolled is also pretty wonderful.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 2:17pm

Fake martial arts is fascinating to me. You wouldn't think it possible that people can be deluded enough to throw themselves around or get 'knocked out' but true belief can be an amazingly powerful delusion.

People are so invested in being a lethal weaponTM that they ignore anything that contradicts that view and because no real sparring ever happens every bit of prestige is just based on the status within the community.

This is very different to judo where trust me if you aren't up to scratch it will be found out very quickly indeed, even if you just have an off day, it will be shown up. Many people I've met actually avoid trying to go up belts because it raises the expectation on them  Tongue

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 3:46pm

I do feel some sympathy for these people, but...

https://youtu.be/7cNOxE4dGEo

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 4:58pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 10:08am:
Oxnate wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 9:23am:

Nice! I thought I had seen them all but the aikido one was new. Good for that honest Aikido guy. I took it for a little while. It’s complete nonsense IMO. No offense to those who do it. It’s beautiful just not effective.

I bet you will like this Ox.  Grin

https://youtu.be/dOOh2J1b3lQ

I do love all of those.  Though they left out the best part of one.  Where the "chi master" says the guy wasn't affected because he had his tongue or toes in the right/wrong places.    Grin

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 4:52pm

hmm - well having been my old tai chi instructors punching bag for 15 years.
All I'll say is there's a shitload of stuff that the old chinese martil arts schools do that can't be explained by western science

And richards class was filled with harcore sceptic western scientists - and we did some stuff that none of us could explain.

The best one, I thought,  was one time he was demonstrating a one finder strike technique, that his master had just taught him.

Now I was the official class punching bag for two main reasons.
1) I pretty much never bruise.
2) I have a stupidly high pain threshhold. It's not always a good thing.
And also it's the single best way to learn what effect something has.

It also meant that richard didn't have to pull his 'punches' to the point that there was no point doing them.

So richard did this one finger techique. And it actually hurt. I was impressed.
But over the next week It developed into a massive purple bruise all over the my torso.
I mean I was impressed - 'cos, you know I just don't bruise.

Richard was totally horrified - I'm not sure how close I came to death that night, but judging by how white he went - I'm guessing almost as close as the day I let larry bray sling lead glandes at me Smiley
Which in that case was about 6 feet.

One thing I was proud of, was that none of the neck or shoulder grips ever worked on me.
Mind you, back then I used to do sets of 10 reps on the 110kg shoulder press.
I could probably do a couple now - but i've damaged way too many bits of my body to ever get back to that level of strength.
But I still don't bruise Smiley
And I can probably still rip your arm off and beat you with the soggy end - All a matter of leverage whistle

So while I'm not convinced the japanese guy was genuine - I would not mess with the chinese guy in the blue shirt.
Most of that was totally genuine and proper old school wu shu.

Look at it this way. The chinese masters don't even teach their students all they know, let alone EVER explain anything to anyone.

And yes I am being deliberately vague.
Some of the stuff I learnt, I shouldn't have been taught.
So my lips are sealed.
My teachers masters master was a living national treasure of china. And a little smiley guy who could have walked through any special forces regiment anywhere in the world, without breaking sweat.
Hell my teacher and his master used to go to hereford regularly to teach unarmed combat to the sas.
Probably not the good stuff, just the bog standard bone breaking side of things.
Leverage is a wonderful thing.

But just because YOU don't understand why a certain movement elicites a certain response - don't automatically assume it's been faked.

Proper chinese martial arts is only about 30% physical.
The rest is all about chi.
And the better you get, the less you need the physical side of things.

Not at all mystical.
we are electrical beings.
Learn to manipulate the electrical field of another human being and you can do a lot more damage and have a lot more control, than any mma hold or strike. 

I break it down into to types of fighting: recreational martial arts.
where people hit other people and they both seem to get something out of it.

And actual fighting where the only aim is to stop someone as fast as possible - usually terminally.
I've never - personally - seen much point in recreational fighting.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 5:34pm

CA. Ive seen one video at least about chi that has left me totally mystified. I simply cannot explain it. Until I can Im ok with believing in the possibility. Im pretty open minded to that stuff. But theres a lot of fakers out there and they are the ones I love to laugh at.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 5:51pm

Quote:
Not at all mystical.
we are electrical beings.
Learn to manipulate the electrical field of another human being and you can do a lot more damage and have a lot more control, than any mma hold or strike.

Thing is electricity is well understood, you can't just 'manipulate' it. Electric fields arise as per the movement of charged particles, there's no wiggle room here. It follows the laws of physics.

I've not seen any convincing demonstration of chi or no-touch style martial arts. Every single fight they get destroyed, even if it is recreational they just get completely dominated. It doesn't bode well for real fights.

These sorts of martial arts were popular in the 90s but have been completely debunked now.

It's easy to convince yourself you are a lethal weapon or your sensei is if you never fight a proper resisting opponent. As soon as that happens it never ends well.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 8:50am

lol - we'll agree to disagree.

electrical fields - particularly the weak ones that control our bodies can be easily manipulated.

Our nervous system is 100% electrical. Our brain is also. All the chemical reactions that comprise a working human being, all eventually come down to the exchange of electrically charged particles.
The atoms that make up our bodies are all held together with electrical fields.

It's pretty easy (relatively speaking) to learn how to control your own, and from there to control or effect others.

It's used mainly for health, but like i said recreational fighting is just something I don't see the point in.

There is only so far scepticiam and western science will take you, once you've done and experienced things it doesn't explain.

And to be fair there is so much that our current science base eithr gnore or just plain gets wrong - that the first thing any competent scinetist needs to admit is that we do not know everything.
As soon as you think you do know everything - you cease to be a scientist and become a fanatic.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:04am

James Randi exposes James Hydrick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CASghTzNhc&list=PLRVUTcvx7LpEzm5LRmPCO2iUqlisMG...

. I took it for a little while. It’s complete nonsense IMO. No offense to those who do it. It’s beautiful just not effective.

Most martial arts are made to be performed in accordance with specific rules. So they are so to say not fake, they are just a system that only works within said system and not in a street fight. Even MMA contains some rules that it in real life would be better without, like eye pricking, throat punching, spine kicking, etc.
Outside MMA there still are martial arts that are more usable in real life than other.
Quick tip: any striking martial art that doesn't allow punches or kicks to the head is no good for street fighting.
Most grappling arts are also at least a bit out in the cold since rolling around on the ground while surrounded by your opponent's friends can't be healthy. But I am NOT an expert in this.

Oxnate wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 4:58pm:
Where the "chi master" says the guy wasn't affected because he had his tongue or toes in the right/wrong places.   

An episode of Is it Real on NatGeo examined this sport and one guy they interviewed came up with this EXACT excuse. Say what you want but at least they have systematized their chi.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 2:12pm

Slyngorm wrote on Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:04am:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CASghTzNhc&list=PLRVUTcvx7LpEzm5LRmPCO2iUqlisMG...

. I took it for a little while. It’s complete nonsense IMO. No offense to those who do it. It’s beautiful just not effective.

Most martial arts are made to be performed in accordance with specific rules. So they are so to say not fake, they are just a system that only works within said system and not in a street fight. Even MMA contains some rules that it in real life would be better without, like eye pricking, throat punching, spine kicking, etc.
Outside MMA there still are martial arts that are more usable in real life than other.
Quick tip: any striking martial art that doesn't allow punches or kicks to the head is no good for street fighting.
Most grappling arts are also at least a bit out in the cold since rolling around on the ground while surrounded by your opponent's friends can't be healthy. But I am NOT an expert in this.

Where the "chi master" says the guy wasn't affected because he had his tongue or toes in the right/wrong places.   

An episode of Is it Real on NatGeo examined this sport and one guy they interviewed came up with this EXACT excuse. Say what you want but at least they have systematized their chi.   

My big 5:

BJJ
Wrestling
Boxing
Muay Thai
Judo.

If I could go back in time I would probably focus on BJJ, Muay Thai and Judo. But you cant go wrong with wrestling or boxing. Both are deadly when used correctly.

I would also spend a lot of time use Qi Gong to see if the whole chi thing has anything to it. I dont think a person can really truly judge unless they have experience with something.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 4:05pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 15th, 2021 at 2:12pm:
Slyngorm wrote on Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:04am:

My big 5:

BJJ
Wrestling
Boxing
Muay Thai
Judo.

If I could go back in time I would probably focus on BJJ, Muay Thai and Judo. But you cant go wrong with wrestling or boxing. Both are deadly when used correctly.

I would also spend a lot of time use Qi Gong to see if the whole chi thing has anything to it. I dont think a person can really truly judge unless they have experience with something.

Your big five is sort of similar to what I learned; wrestling, boxing, Tae Kwon Do, Street Fighting Techniques, Kung Fu, Judo, and Hapkido. To be successful in the real world you have to have a ground game.  Pure strikers just don't make it in MMA.  Wrestling is a great base to work from. 
      In the 70s when I got almost all of my formal training BJJ just wasn't a thing.  It really didn't become popular until the advent of MMA.  Consequently, it's the one hole in my training that I regret.  Sometimes I entertain the notion of learning it now.  I certainly have the time.  If my knees were in better shape then maybe... But at the age of 66 doing so would almost assuredly be beyond what this aging carcass could endure. 

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 5:26pm

In 1968, Dick Fosbury won the gold medal for the high jump at the summer Olympic games in Mexico and completely changed the high jump forever. Fosbury went on to perfect THE best technique for high jump. Any other technique falls short of the Fosbury Flop. No high jump athlete, not one, does any technique but the Fosbury Flop because it can not be bested.

If chi is so great, why is it that not a single MMA fighter has used this wondrous power in a competition fight? Knocking someone unconscious with a single finger would be beyond revolutionary. The prize money alone is enough of a motivation for trainers to chase up and investigate and practice and test and analyse every possible advantage for their fighters. Why, if it's so powerful, has Chi been seemingly dismissed in favour of BJJ, Judo and those other arts mentioned? If it's because it's so super mystical and hard to master, then, I've got to say, what's the point of it? If you want to bruise someone's chest and the two options are spend decades learning how to channel your mystical powers and use one finger or just learn how to punch straight in, at most, an afternoon then I mean...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark)