Chocolate?    
  2 (10.5%)
Butter Pecan?    
  2 (10.5%)
Strawberry?    
  2 (10.5%)
Coffee?    
  1 (5.3%)
Sherbet? (You’re a monster if you choose this.)    
  0 (0.0%)
Pistachio?    
  1 (5.3%)
Frozen Yogurt (Who hurt you?)    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 19
« Created by: Morphy on: Mar 12th, 2021 at 6:02pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Unloved Throws-Question. With Poll! (Read 10341 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Unloved Throws-Question. With Poll!
Reply #75 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 8:03pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 11:52pm:
Morphy wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 12:07pm:
Is this for me? If so that would be much appreciated. 

Here's an example.
However, if I were going into battle, I would fold the sides of the cloak even more so that it doesn't restrict the range of motion. I'd also use a penannular brooch to give the pouch more support.
Maybe I'll use it in my next video...

Wow!! Very nice Albion! I would love to see it in action.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #76 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 9:07am

It stays tight to the body too, unlike possibly a loose hanging shoulder bag.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #77 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 10:22am

Kick wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:25am:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 5:49pm:
There are ONLY two THROWING styles

Underarm... Truly the most unloved of slinging styles...

I'm under the impression that underarm falls under vertical. It should encompasses both overarm and underarm.   Smiley

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #78 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 10:49pm

Dead thread resurrection time! Sorry about this.

I recently went back to messing around with underarm, and it's a lot better than I thought. I guess experience with slinging in general helps out. But even in the past, underarm was the first style that I could really control. My opinion spoiled on it because I just didn't use it for so long, and I was thinking on how to do it. I found that it's a lot better (in my opinion) to slightly angle the release. I called underarm unnatural, but I was wrong. Going back to it, it's just as comfortable and fun as other styles, maybe even more so.

I don't think underarm is going to be taking any awards from other styles in terms of things like power or whatnot, but I find that it's easier to use even now. I think it definitely has its perks that we should acknowledge more. Maybe we need an underarm appreciation day or something.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #79 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 7:58am

One of the most interesting things for me about underarm is the fact you can do a reverse fig. 8 wind up with it instead of the typical rotor. The thing I dont really like about it is the fact that you are limited on sling length for hunting. Very limited actually when hunting real world conditions.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #80 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 8:37am

I believe that underarm is the best beginner style. For people who've never touched a sling in their lives. However, once they nail it down, I move them onto different styles.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #81 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 1:16pm

I agree that it's uses are often a bit limited, but they are definitely there. While I was slinging in the forest, I sometimes had enough clearance below and in front for underarm but not enough horizontally for almost any other style. I also don't think sling length is too much of an issue. It works fine for me with a 27 or 28 inch sling, and longer slings will run into other problems anyways.

I also agree that after figuring out underarm people should move on, but I think it might be worth going back. It's so simple that it doesn't take much time to figure it out again, and there might be situations in which it's worth using. Plus, I think it's fun.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #82 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 1:23pm

Sling length in real world hunting conditions is a whole other thing. Same thing why not everything in the Apache article can be taken at face value. Ive done a good amount of slinging in those conditions and it makes a difference. Take a 28 inch sling and go hunt in knee high grass with the underarm. Definitely creates problems. In concentration if nothing else. It also depends on the area you are in of course.

Under best conditions is not nearly as much an issue though.

EDIT: Vertical wind up/throws work well in certain forest types. It depends on the biome you are in. I prefer figure 8 for largely coniferious forests where as in the live oak scrub forests in chaparrals no style is optimal due to the large amount of twisted horizontal branches.

In high grass rotor/ side arms are better. For game in cover like brush piles, scrub brush or briar patches i like rotor/apache/overshoulder etc. Rotors need to already be in motion before scaring game into the open.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #83 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 7:08am

IronGoober wrote on Mar 12th, 2021 at 10:48pm:
Morphy, I really don't care if you share it.  It's on a public website after all.

https://youtu.be/AZGlEKCkjic

Not as accurate as you, Jaegoor, but this was after about 30 minutes of practice and I wasn't concerned with being accurate.(I have practiced a few times previously, months ago, too).  As you can see, I'm pretty clumsy getting a new ball reloaded. This serves your point about the extra spin giving you more time to grab another ball, resulting in more fluid motion overall.  However, If I can get setup so I can grab two at once, I think I can get 12-14 shots in 30s if I can cleanly grab 2 at a time from my bag. And Fluidity will likely come from a bit more practice.

But I think that you are right, Tint demonstrated the fastest speed slinging I've seen. I think the video was taken down. I found his other videos and didn't see his fast slinging video.

Yes, I took it down. I was worried protesters in Hong Kong was going to use slings in their resistance...It's back up now.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #84 - Jan 13th, 2022 at 9:11pm

Under arm/hand is the best for playing sling catch  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)