Chocolate?    
  2 (10.5%)
Butter Pecan?    
  2 (10.5%)
Strawberry?    
  2 (10.5%)
Coffee?    
  1 (5.3%)
Sherbet? (You’re a monster if you choose this.)    
  0 (0.0%)
Pistachio?    
  1 (5.3%)
Frozen Yogurt (Who hurt you?)    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 19
« Created by: Morphy on: Mar 12th, 2021 at 6:02pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Unloved Throws-Question. With Poll! (Read 10345 times)
Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Unloved Throws-Question. With Poll!
Reply #30 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 3:05pm

Slyngorm wrote on Mar 16th, 2021 at 8:07am:
I am firm believer in the Greek overhand. Has been since I discovered it and have used it ever since. Just yesterday I slung for the first time in months using the overhand and was amazed by how much accuracy I retained.
I have never had problems with range though I mostly sling at 20-15 meters.

Hirtius wrote on Mar 12th, 2021 at 7:57pm:
They can be positioned to either side of the head, although the ones with the sling on the opposite side from the throwing arm  are somewhat awkward to me.

So what does this depict? My speculation is that it is both a pose and a starting point for one or more additional spins.

Can't see why they couldn't depict a Greek style. They might look a little awkward but it is perfectly possible to do a Greek from that position. Or maybe it is a question of artistic merit.

I can't really argue with personal preference, but I can try to explain where I find issue. I find that even with a boost from my arm, the stone doesn't have enough movement or is in the right position. I find that I can't accelerate it to the same extent due to that shorter distance, especially when starting it off in an awkward position (which shortness the distance a bit more).

I hear that greek overhand is more accurate, but is it more accurate or are you throwing slower than you are able to? With practice in other styles it is possible to get both power and accuracy. Do you feel you can get the best power and accuracy out of it that you are capable of?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 3:37pm

Certainly you can throw as you like.  For me they are varieties.  Something really bothers me though.  But from the athlete's point of view.  The Balearic Islands have a rule work.  It says that the sling must be turned several times to count as a shot.  This rule has been softened internationally.  Everyone turns and shoots as they want.  Personally, I don't think it's right.  And there is little respect for the Balearic Islands.  There should be an international structure.  And there is already a fixed structure.  It's a personal opinion.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #32 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 3:49pm

I think of it as other sports. People can run in any style they want (within reason) they can throw javelins how they want (within reason) I think slinging should be the same.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 4:07pm

JudoP wrote on Mar 16th, 2021 at 7:36am:
Team rocky road woop woop!

Honestly it would surprise me if fig 8 wasn't commonly used historically. It works very well mechanically, you can get way more power than straight overarm (apache), at least I can.

Rocky Road is amazing. I love the fig-8 as well. Combine them both and you have a recipe for a good time.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #34 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 4:28pm

You can get more power by moving your hand in a tiny circle after releasing the pouch as if you are pulling the pouch around. Then end it by pushing it forward before release. Like this I get both power and accuracy.

What do you mean with “slow” throwing.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 9:47pm

Slyngorm wrote on Mar 16th, 2021 at 4:28pm:
You can get more power by moving your hand in a tiny circle after releasing the pouch as if you are pulling the pouch around. Then end it by pushing it forward before release. Like this I get both power and accuracy.

What do you mean with “slow” throwing.

I didn't say anything about "slow" throwing, just slower than you are able to. For me, Greek overhand is slower. It can be accurate, but I don't feel I'm able to get as much power out of it. Especially with heavier stones, I would find myself doing a bit of a lob with Greek overhand that I send straighter with other styles. I was just asking if you feel you are able to use your full power with that style.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #36 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 5:12am

I feel the same about Greek. I can get more power with Fig. 8, sidearm or helicopter.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #37 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 5:44am

What does slower throwing mean?
And yes, I do not feel lacking in power when using the Greek overhand.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #38 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 6:10am

Greek style like the coin of Aspendios.
Power is given by the trunk. Shoulders and pelvis remain aligned. Just my idea.
I think that this style is quick and may be beneficial for hunting and war (point-blank range).
I'm just guessing.

DSCN4485.MOV (4188 KB | 32 )

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #39 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 6:59am

Kick .... Throwing with a spear is strictly regulated.  There are only two types of handles, the weight is predetermined.  Also where the grip on the spear may be.  The field is also regulated.  And also how much run-up you can have.  Please have a look at the Balearic rules.  We are far away.  😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 2:34pm

Slyngorm wrote on Mar 17th, 2021 at 5:44am:
What does slower throwing mean?
And yes, I do not feel lacking in power when using the Greek overhand.

I'm not sure if I understand the question. You already asked that.

The only context I say "throwing slower" is in regards to accuracy.
"I hear that greek overhand is more accurate, but is it more accurate or are you throwing slower than you are able to?"

I've already explained that Greek overhand as I've tried it is slower. I don't have a problem with accuracy with Greek overhand, it's how fast it goes. Slinging slower helps with accuracy.

You've already said you don't have an issue with that, which would probably due to greater practice.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #41 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 4:26pm

I find that Greek done flat, like a semi-helicopter, absolutely rips. But, you have to wind up your body before the throw, twisting everything against the throwing direction then springing back in a powerful unwinding motion. Also, the sling has to be short, about to your shoulder be no more.

This guy from about a million years ago in YouTube years is what I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc_rAly4oLY&ab_channel=asgesa2

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #42 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 7:47pm

Right on, David. That is who I was thinking of.

For a stone, an average speed over 30m of 40m/s had to have been released above 50m/s I would think, based on my own measurements with my speed gun and frame counting.

Essentially and style can get power if you do it right. Look at AlbionSlinger. He's managed +50m/s with a sling that was something like 15 inches long. You just have to figure out the body mechanics.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #43 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 7:51pm

IronGoober wrote on Mar 17th, 2021 at 7:47pm:
Essentially any style can get power if you do it right. You just have to figure out the body mechanics.

There it is.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #44 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 11:15pm

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Kick)