Chocolate?    
  2 (10.5%)
Butter Pecan?    
  2 (10.5%)
Strawberry?    
  2 (10.5%)
Coffee?    
  1 (5.3%)
Sherbet? (You’re a monster if you choose this.)    
  0 (0.0%)
Pistachio?    
  1 (5.3%)
Frozen Yogurt (Who hurt you?)    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 19
« Created by: Morphy on: Mar 12th, 2021 at 6:02pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Unloved Throws-Question. With Poll! (Read 10340 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Unloved Throws-Question. With Poll!
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 1:02pm

Great stuff IG!  Nice consistency while concentrating on speed.  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 1:52pm

The problem I have with Greek isn't accuracy, it's range.  Other than Apache, for me at least it has the worst range.
   I've mentioned before that for no good reason at all the first few months of my slinging career I used nothing but Apache Style.  It's advantage, of course, is that there's no wind up to give away your position to potential game or enemies.  The best range I could ever get out of Apache, though, was only about ninety yards.
   Underarm is my most accurate style.  I don't get quite the range with it that I do with styles like Helicopter and Balearic but it's adequate.  One advantage to underarm is that due to its top spin, after your projectile hits the ground or water it bounces forward and low, giving you a second chance to hit your target. The backspin you get with overhand styles tends to make your projectile bounce straight up if it bounces at all. 
    Turkey Hill makes a killer Rocky Road.  I seldom buy it because when I do I eat the whole half gallon by myself in one or two sittings.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 4:06pm

David Morningstar wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 1:52am:
The Apache is absolutely a historical style: https://web.archive.org/web/20121016033429/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=ho...

Although the Greek style is entirely a modern speculative interpretation, I am a firm believer in it because of its speed.

Huh, that's really interesting. I guess that makes sense about the name. However, I really wish the guy who wrote that left a doodle or something of how it's done, because what he describes is a nightmare.

I've tried the style a number of times before, but I was always pretty dismissive of it because it was terrible anytime. I either got something that was way too slow going way too high, or something super fast but going directly into the ground. I could never get a happy medium.

Today I tried the style again, but this time I decided to give it a good college try. Low and behold, the results were exactly the same. Pathetic range and power or spiking it into the ground. However, I discovered a brand new disdain for this style. It's actually quite painful to do. Now, I've read about people in this forum being sore from certain styles before. I'm a young guy, so I probably have less of a problem with this than others. My arm with get tired and a little sore after a lot of slinging, but give it a while and I hardly notice. There is one exception to this, and that is when I "dry fire" a heavy stone. I screw around sometimes and use rocks that are way too big for the pouch, which causes the rock to fall out prematurely and the arm to jerk forward. It causes more serious soreness, and I've had to get much better about not being so goofy with what I sling. But with Apache style? Even with smaller rocks, I get some of that same feeling. Seriously trying Apache style was a bad idea. I was trying to follow the description as best as I could, but it is probably the most unnatural and ineffective slinging style there is. It makes me believe that there is something wrong with the description given.

I would have loved to actually see it or have a video of it (remember, documentation is important), because the textual evidence and existing examples I've seen describe something I can't imagine. You might point out that I don't have extensive experience with this and you're right, but the impression I've gotten from everyone else besides the initial source is that it's incredibly awkward.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 5:58pm

I once shared your disdain. But recently, I picked it up again, and I can see the merits of the style. I'm certainly less consistent with it than my other methods, but it has it's place. I can make a video of how I do it. Give me a week or so. It's raining tomorrow.

John R.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 6:23pm

IronGoober wrote on Mar 13th, 2021 at 5:58pm:
I once shared your disdain. But recently, I picked it up again, and I can see the merits of the style. I'm certainly less consistent with it than my other methods, but it has it's place. I can make a video of how I do it. Give me a week or so. It's raining tomorrow.

That would be cool to see how you make it work.

I use to have a dismissive attitude towards figure 8 thinking that no one would have ever used it, until I saw this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r-2xkXdelI) from Papua New Guinea. It seems like separated people on different sides of the world had converged on the same style, even the starting position. After that I practiced a bit more I was able to get the hang of it, and I could now see why people would use that style.

And while while I'm on this topic, I'll go a little off topic. If not for this video, I wouldn't have ever taken figure 8 seriously. However, it's also a bit depressing. If you read the description, it's one of the few places where the sling is still made. I would also guess that it might be in decline even in that local area, as one of the steps of the sling's decline is being relegated as a child's toy, though an older man at the end poses with a sling. It might get to that point soon. It's kind of sad to think that some of the last remaining slinging cultures are in decline. Again I'm just guessing, but I think that the old man of that article might have been one of the last people to use the "Apache" style as his native style.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #20 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 9:48am

I would say that one thing that helps is not coming down straight vertically. A 45 degree angle can help with getting that in between release.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 2:59pm

Figure 8 produces a very flat trajectory, I like that style with a short (50 cm) sling when I am in narrow areas like a forest trail. Short because I don't like halve the sling smacking the ground. It's a good style also for slinging head on.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 6:30pm

So what I’m getting from this is sort of what I suspected all along. Rocky Road is the favorite slinging style of Slinging.Org.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #23 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 7:50pm

I'm betting everyone secretly wanted to vote for vanilla.  Probably just concerned that everyone else would think they're boring.  Wink

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 9:17pm

Rocky road? Sounds like chocolate with extra steps.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 1:31am

The two replies above me are why I love this forum.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #26 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 3:36am

I'll say it, my favourite flavour is vanilla. I'm not afraid. Give me a good quality vanilla over chocolate any day. If vanilla is boring, that's because it's bad quality vanilla.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 5:19am

Underarm is the easiest style on the muscles and joints, health wise.

The very steep overhand the figure 8 produces is probably the least easy on the joints when you throw hard.

This style of cast is similar to an overhand cast I perform with a hand thrown stone, and similar to an overhand cast I do with a spear or atlatl. So this style of throwing shares ground with other weapons. I think an atlatlist would like figure 8 very much.

If underarm is the easiest on the body, and near-vertical overhand the toughest, than sidearm is probably in the middle when it comes to joint and muscle pressure.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #28 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 7:36am

Team rocky road woop woop!

Honestly it would surprise me if fig 8 wasn't commonly used historically. It works very well mechanically, you can get way more power than straight overarm (apache), at least I can.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #29 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 8:07am

I am firm believer in the Greek overhand. Has been since I discovered it and have used it ever since. Just yesterday I slung for the first time in months using the overhand and was amazed by how much accuracy I retained.
I have never had problems with range though I mostly sling at 20-15 meters.

Hirtius wrote on Mar 12th, 2021 at 7:57pm:
They can be positioned to either side of the head, although the ones with the sling on the opposite side from the throwing arm  are somewhat awkward to me.

So what does this depict? My speculation is that it is both a pose and a starting point for one or more additional spins.

Can't see why they couldn't depict a Greek style. They might look a little awkward but it is perfectly possible to do a Greek from that position. Or maybe it is a question of artistic merit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)