Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Your feelings on a Sling Hunting Video

Has no merit and shouldn’t be made.    
  0 (0.0%)
Has merit but potentially damaging to sling acceptance.    
  3 (15.8%)
You don’t care one way or the other.    
  1 (5.3%)
Promotes the sling and draws in more people.    
  5 (26.3%)
Hunting is fine but not with a sling.    
  1 (5.3%)
You have no problem with the idea so long as it is done well.    
  8 (42.1%)
Other-Please Explain.    
  1 (5.3%)

Total votes: 19
« Created by: Morphy on: Mar 7th, 2021 at 4:24pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sling Hunting Video (Read 4288 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Sling Hunting Video
Reply #30 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 3:45am

I completely forgot but I've already done hunting videos with a bolas and a sling:

Bolas:
https://youtu.be/EcXtdD9l1HQ

Sling:
https://youtu.be/IpRbmucu5kk

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #31 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 3:48am

^^^^^^^
Grin

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #32 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 7:59am

Mersa wrote on Mar 9th, 2021 at 3:48am:
^^^^^^^
Grin

That bird didn’t stand a chance!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #33 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 12:00pm

Mersa wrote on Mar 7th, 2021 at 8:02pm:
Hunting is varied, yes there is consumption of animal products for food and other resources but also pest management and asset protection.

I’ll personally raise an issue close to my heart and will weather the storm of distaste.

In Australia Feral domestic cats kill thousands and thousands of native species, they have already made some species extinct.

There’s no nice way about it you either say let nature take its course from our mistake and let the ecosystem sort itself out over time with drastic implications to many indigenous species or you start killing as many feral cats as you can to try to reduce the loss of natural ecosystems. So this is a real problem if you don’t want anything to die. Because on both sides something is gonna die.

Do I need to watch endless videos of cats being killed , no but cats need to be killed . With nothing keeping the cats in check it’s a disaster that’s continued to get worse. So in the city cats wil and the native animals lose , but in the country many people are for the culling of feral species.

Hunting is killing but sometimes killing is saving a life that’s more at risk .

It’s a hard topic to be objective about

No fair point and thanks for raising it. This matter is very interesting. We see a lot of very quick environmental change from human activity and biodiversity loss- however this is also part of nature and has happened before many times. I think the best way to go is to try temper our impact on nature/biodiversity not because "we love the earth" or some other justification  you tend to see a lot, but simply because these things will impact us and make our lives harder. Changes to the environment and nature are fairly permanent on the timescale of human civilisation and can pose a lot of danger, however on the scale of the earth and life anything we do is a blip which will reset relatively quickly after we're gone.

Going back to the original topic then yes I think hunting should be allowed with this justification also, however it is not something I'll personally celebrate or take interest in. Each to his own is what I'll say.

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #34 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 8:59pm

All I'm getting from this thread is that I should hire a hitman to kill me with a sling and film it.

THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 9:14pm

Josephusflav wrote on Mar 9th, 2021 at 8:59pm:
All I'm getting from this thread is that I should hire a hitman to kill me with a sling and film it.

THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME

Hitman: "I'm proficient in any weapon. Rifles, explosives, knives, etc. You name it, I'll do it. So who do you want me to take out?"

Josephusflav: "Me, with this rock and some rope. Oh, and remember to leave lots of evidence by filming it!"

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #36 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:04am

Hunting wise I'm in the same boat as Morphy.  I hunted as a young man.  I loved being out in nature, loved tromping through the woods all day in the Winter, loved the taste of wild game, loved the sport of shooting... hated killing animals.  I eventually gave it up.  I have nothing against legal, properly regulated hunting.  In fact, in my state of  New Jersey where most natural predator were eliminated a long time ago hunting is actually necessary to prevent overpopulation.  If I had to hunt to feed myself I would have no problem doing so but as long as I can buy meat in the store I'll let someone else do the killing. 
    How do I feel about a sling-hunting video?  I would probably watch it to see how realistic and feasible it is.  I don't think posting one here is a great idea.  We've already seen the poopy storm this topic starts. 
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2021 at 6:32pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #37 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:13am

JudoP wrote on Mar 9th, 2021 at 12:00pm:
Mersa wrote on Mar 7th, 2021 at 8:02pm:
Hunting is varied, yes there is consumption of animal products for food and other resources but also pest management and asset protection.

I’ll personally raise an issue close to my heart and will weather the storm of distaste.

In Australia Feral domestic cats kill thousands and thousands of native species, they have already made some species extinct.

There’s no nice way about it you either say let nature take its course from our mistake and let the ecosystem sort itself out over time with drastic implications to many indigenous species or you start killing as many feral cats as you can to try to reduce the loss of natural ecosystems. So this is a real problem if you don’t want anything to die. Because on both sides something is gonna die.

Do I need to watch endless videos of cats being killed , no but cats need to be killed . With nothing keeping the cats in check it’s a disaster that’s continued to get worse. So in the city cats wil and the native animals lose , but in the country many people are for the culling of feral species.

Hunting is killing but sometimes killing is saving a life that’s more at risk .

It’s a hard topic to be objective about

No fair point and thanks for raising it. This matter is very interesting. We see a lot of very quick environmental change from human activity and biodiversity loss- however this is also part of nature and has happened before many times. I think the best way to go is to try temper our impact on nature/biodiversity not because "we love the earth" or some other justification  you tend to see a lot, but simply because these things will impact us and make our lives harder. Changes to the environment and nature are fairly permanent on the timescale of human civilisation and can pose a lot of danger, however on the scale of the earth and life anything we do is a blip which will reset relatively quickly after we're gone.

Going back to the original topic then yes I think hunting should be allowed with this justification also, however it is not something I'll personally celebrate or take interest in. Each to his own is what I'll say.

From what I've seen once invasive species are introduced there is no getting rid of them; the environment is changed forever and there's nothing we can do about it.  Carp are invasive in North America.  Europeans brought them here as a food source.  In my state of New Jersey it's illegal to release a caught carp.  You're supposed to kill it.  Carp are abundant in every body of water in New Jersey.  Killing those caught does no good at all. Killing Pythons in Florida does no good at all.  They are there to stay. Killing cats in Australia won't help.  Your environment is forever altered.  JS

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #38 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:13am

Rat Man wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:04am:
   Hunting wise I'm in the same boat as Morphy.  I hunted as a young man.  I loved being out in nature, loved tromping through the woods all day in the Winter, loved the taste of wild game, loved the sport of shooting... hated killing animals.  I eventually gave it up.  I have nothing against legal, properly regulated hunting.  In fact, in my state of  New Jersey where most natural predator were eliminated a long time ago hunting is actually necessary to prevent overpopulation.  If I had to hunt to feed myself I would have no problem doing so but as long as I can buy meat in the store I'll let someone else do the killing. 
    How do I feel about a sling-hunting video?  I would probably watch it to see how realistic and feasible it is.  I don't think posting one here is a great idea.  We've already seen the poopy storm this topic starts. 

And of course I agree. You read my posts and more than that you know pesonally my intense love for nature and animals. Man I am such a wimp. Anyone who goes field slinging and brings carrots to throw to rabbits is not a manly hunter. So guess Im not lol.

I really believe that Slinging.Org can have these discussions. So long as no personal attacks or outrageous statements are made. Our political thread went on way longer and most of us have pretty strong feelings about it, but for most of it we remained fairly cool, until we didnt lol. But again we have tools to fix that. We can lock threads if needed but most here are really good about seeing how hot it gets and backing off. Most here dont treat others like they are certified morons. We have a really good group and Im personally very excited to see the caliber of our newer members. We have some really good people coming in.

Strong rebuttals are fine but starting flame wars...well all it takes is one person to strike the match. For the most part we do very well and honestly I’ve never been happier to be a member here as I am with the people we have now.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2021 at 6:33pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #39 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:30am

Here here!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #40 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 3:28pm

12 for and 4 against. Seems pretty conclusive.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #41 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 10:26pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:13am:
Rat Man wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:04am:
    How do I feel about a sling-hunting video?  I would probably watch it to see how realistic and feasible it is.  I don't thing posting one here is a great idea.  We've already seen the poopy storm this topic starts. 

And of course I agree. You read my posts and more than that you know pesonally my intense love for nature and animals. Man I am such a wimp. Anyone who goes field slinging and brings carrots to throw to rabbits is not a manly hunter. So guess Im not lol.

I really believe that Slinging.Org can have these discussions. So long as no personal attacks or outrageous statements are made. Our political thread went on way longer and most of us have pretty strong feelings about it, but for most of it we remained fairly cool, until we didnt lol. But again we have tools to fix that. We can lock threads if needed but most here are really good about seeing how hot it gets and backing off. Most here dont treat others like they are certified morons. We have a really good group and Im personally very excited to see the caliber of our newer members. We have some really good people coming in.

Strong rebuttals are fine but starting flame wars...well all it takes is one person to strike the match. For the most part we do very well and honestly I’ve never been happier to be a member here as I am with the people we have now.

We have evolved quite a bit. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)