Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Your feelings on a Sling Hunting Video

Has no merit and shouldn’t be made.    
  0 (0.0%)
Has merit but potentially damaging to sling acceptance.    
  3 (15.8%)
You don’t care one way or the other.    
  1 (5.3%)
Promotes the sling and draws in more people.    
  5 (26.3%)
Hunting is fine but not with a sling.    
  1 (5.3%)
You have no problem with the idea so long as it is done well.    
  8 (42.1%)
Other-Please Explain.    
  1 (5.3%)

Total votes: 19
« Created by: Morphy on: Mar 7th, 2021 at 4:24pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sling Hunting Video (Read 4286 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Sling Hunting Video
Mar 7th, 2021 at 4:24pm

This question has nothing to do with actually posting a video on here.

I’m just curious if done tastefully and with respect for the animal that is going to be eaten, how many people would like to find a hunting video with a sling on YouTube?

If you feel like it’s a bad idea, for whatever reason, would you post your reasoning why?

Here’s mine to get started.

I am not a hunter anymore. I love animals and I’m a big wimp when it comes to hunting these days. There’s also a lot less ticks and snakes in the meat section at my local store. Therefore like a complete sucker I take all the animals in I can find and stick to leg less meat.

That being said I believe hunting with respect for your food has merit. It’s been part of our existence since time immemorial. It provides a less cruel way for meat to be procured. Factory farms are absolutely brutal, cruel affairs. Just buying meat and forgetting that is worse for an animal then letting them live in nature and at least have a chance to get away.

So in conclusion- Hunting’s fine if done with respect and class as opposed to some dumbass whooping and hollering after killing something.

How do you feel about this?
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2021 at 9:53pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Sling Hunting Video
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 7:17pm

I take all life seriously, from insects to plants to fungi to birds to mammals to fish. They all deserve respect, but like most organisms on the planet our individual survival depends on the death of other species. A vegan living in the city is no more ethical than a hunter living in the woods in my opinion. We all approach the scenario differently.

Hunting can be viewed in many ways.

Personally I enjoy the whole experience.
I forage wild plants and fungi and also hunt and fish.
I don’t pointlessly try to harm anything, plants animals or fungi but a part of life is you will disrupt and destroy other living things just by living yourself.

Amongst the viewpoints that vary around this subject I think it’s good to remember that the “ethics” surrounding the topic are an ideal and not a closed fact.

We all live in different places and have different experience.

We could argue to the end of time with good points on either end of the spectrum but it’s never going to solve the issue.

Hunt if you like
Don’t if you don’t.
Try to respect others

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 7:46pm

I find it distasteful personally but as a meat eater I can't judge people who do it, so long as they make use of the animal for food so the death is not pointless. Obviously there's people of all stripes who are into slinging and I don't think it is wise to split or exclude from such a small community given we all have this great hobby in common.

If you want to make a video I think that is fair- but perhaps put a warning of graphic content for those who don't like the idea.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 8:02pm

Hunting is varied, yes there is consumption of animal products for food and other resources but also pest management and asset protection.

I’ll personally raise an issue close to my heart and will weather the storm of distaste.

In Australia Feral domestic cats kill thousands and thousands of native species, they have already made some species extinct.

There’s no nice way about it you either say let nature take its course from our mistake and let the ecosystem sort itself out over time with drastic implications to many indigenous species or you start killing as many feral cats as you can to try to reduce the loss of natural ecosystems. So this is a real problem if you don’t want anything to die. Because on both sides something is gonna die.

Do I need to watch endless videos of cats being killed , no but cats need to be killed . With nothing keeping the cats in check it’s a disaster that’s continued to get worse. So in the city cats wil and the native animals lose , but in the country many people are for the culling of feral species.

Hunting is killing but sometimes killing is saving a life that’s more at risk .

It’s a hard topic to be objective about

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 9:30pm

The sling is a weapon, with well documented killing power.  Forgetting that can be dangerous.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 10:27pm

Oxnate wrote on Mar 7th, 2021 at 9:30pm:
The sling is a weapon, with well documented killing power.  Forgetting that can be dangerous.

+1 to this.

One thing I don't like seeing is slinging "demonstration" videos from people who don't sling.  More specifically when they have a rock in the pouch, spinning around at high speed, and have it come out early in an unknown direction only to then laugh about it.  I understand trying to keep a video light-hearted, but that is dangerous.

On the topic, I have no issues with hunting.  I don't hunt personally, but if I could regularly get meat from a hunter, I wouldn't buy it at the store.  I don't really understand the need for a video that actually includes the killing of an animal.  I'm not sure what would be lost in demonstrating hunting skills in a video which didn't actually complete the deed.  That said, if someone wanted to make a video of this, I'm certainly not going to tell them they shouldn't.  Assuming everything is being done safely, and with respect to all aspects of the activity.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 11:11pm

I actually thought the same , a “fake sling hunt” could almost be as useful as one where an animal is taken.

Hear me out.
Taking into consideration that the shot is successful the real knowledge would be how to manoeuvre through different scenarios with a sling, considerations with getting in range , space to use the sling, being stealth, there’s lots happening before the shot even takes place. Also if we were looking at the damage the sling can do I don’t believe it needs to be a live animal to show it. Hell watch a few of timpas videos and you’re surely a believer of the power a sling can possess.

I think the best place for an actual hunting video with the sling would be on a show like alone, where the situation allows for both hunting and filming with a real motivation of survival.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 4:24am

Do people want to see how the chicken they are eating died? probably not
then I dont see the use for a hunting video other than for entertainment.
I dont think hunting with a sling is ethically more cruel than buying meat from the market. But making a video out of it changes the angle.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 5:43am

@sarosh,
and there is the point.
of course people do not want to see a video of their dinner being killed and that is why it is widely reported that urban kids understand milk comes from supermarkets.
The one thing that unites us (slinging.org) is an intellect.
Why is murder by bow so rare ?
Because the skill and dedication required to learn the art requires intellect.
This also applies to the sling.
Bash someone on the head with a brick, shoot someone with a gun - result - death - skill - nil.

Time to chill guys.

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 6:22am

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Mar 8th, 2021 at 5:43am:
@sarosh,
and there is the point.
of course people do not want to see a video of their dinner being killed and that is why it is widely reported that urban kids understand milk comes from supermarkets.
The one thing that unites us (slinging.org) is an intellect.
Why is murder by bow so rare ?
Because the skill and dedication required to learn the art requires intellect.
This also applies to the sling.
Bash someone on the head with a brick, shoot someone with a gun - result - death - skill - nil.

Time to chill guys.

I think something was not communicated right here. I am not afraid that someone disturbed is going to use the sling in a bad way after watching a hunting video. After all, all bad people are in prison right? it is nobody's job to prevent violence before happening not even the police. talking about potential dangerous people is fear mongering.

Now on what I really said above.
someone who watches such a video is either a hunter or not a hunter.
for a hunter it has very little educational value because he has already experience on hunting, sling hunting is probably banned in most places, so he is probably going to watch for entertainment purposes, for these reasons it is useless for him.

now for someone who is not a hunter and he is not interested for the death of the animals he is eating I think it is hypocritical for him to say he wants it for education, he clearly wants to entertain himself with the thought of what he could possibly do. if he wants to hunt with a sling then he should learn from any hunter how to hunt and then adapt to the sling. a chicken is just a moving target I dont see the need for showing it on video. a boar is dangerous and should be hunted with a team. privileged people can hunt boar, most slingers are not so priviledged, such a video will end up being used for entertainment not for education.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 6:31am

I think it's pretty far fetched.  Sorry  Why don't all people hunt with a bow?  Or with a sling?  Fortunately they don't.  In many countries it would not be allowed at all.  There are very strict laws in Germany.  You are not allowed to hunt with a sling.  Not even with a bow.  I think that's a good thing too.  Guns kill much more efficiently.  So what can stay.  Sport should stay.  There are very good guidelines with the bow.  You can have a course in the forest with hinged metal discs.  For me, also with an animal picture.  You would be very close to the hunt.  It wouldn't be great for very long.  It would be very difficult.  Many would fail.  I've tried something like this before.  There were only two shooters who hit something.  From 15 participants.  Film that. No animal would have to die.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 7:54am

bow hunting videos are uploaded to youtube every week. I am definitely open to watching sling hunting videos. But the reason there aren't any with a sling isn't because it's graphic, it's because there are better tools, and its harder to succeed with a sling, and capture it on film. The question shouldn't be, do we want a sling hunting video, the question should be, can we ?

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 7:55am

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 8:28am

Jaegoor wrote on Mar 8th, 2021 at 6:31am:
I think it's pretty far fetched. 

I think Jaegoor’s right. Hunting-level accuracy videos have to be faked by taking hundreds of shots and only showing the lucky hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0263QMyMdU

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 8:31am

Look at that bow hunting video. I bet most here could take a bird in that setting with a sling.  Still, a bow will give you a higher guarantee, even if it means the animal suffers more. But if you don't have a bow a sling should work !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15)