Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging at Cans 50 ft. (Read 2606 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Slinging at Cans 50 ft.
Mar 5th, 2021 at 3:23pm

https://youtu.be/4nj_DQXYuxE

For the record I did not poop my pants! Well not more than normal...

Actually no I sat on the ground which was wet. Why was it wet? Because it was raining. Why was I slinging in the rain? Because when the zombie apocalypes hits I better know how to sling in the rain. Obvious answer...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Slinging at Cans 50 ft.
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 4:20pm

You’re back with a vengeance!  Nice shooting Morphy! 

Please keep the videos coming!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 4:47pm

3 Hits from ~15 m is dang good. Soda cans are wily little bastards (pardon my french).

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 7:13pm

Great stuff Morphy!!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 10:41am

You need to get to the International some day, you'd do well. Like, really well.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 3:28pm

Thanks all. Really appreciate the compliments. More and better to come.

@David- I appreciate that. Knowing me, not being familiar with the stress of competition I would probably wilt under pressure. But regardless I plan on going. Hope we can get a large group of us other there one year.

IP Logged

CatHataFish
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 1:34am

Watched the video; a can is a small target at 50 ft!  So how accurate are the best slingers?
Traditional archery background here, trying to put it in perspective.  50 ft = 17 yards, a distance I'm comfortable putting 7/10 arrows in a dinner plate. Don't regularly shoot at a can tho!

IP Logged

TheHMGSlingingRep
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 4:11am

CatHataFish wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 1:34am:
Watched the video; a can is a small target at 50 ft!  So how accurate are the best slingers?
Traditional archery background here, trying to put it in perspective.  50 ft = 17 yards, a distance I'm comfortable putting 7/10 arrows in a dinner plate. Don't regularly shoot at a can tho!

I think the lack of variables in archery make getting accurate far easier. The argument is however, at longer ranges, wind effects the bullet or stone from a sling a lot less than the arrow of a bow, making slings more consistent at longer ranges.

But as for how accurate a sling can be it is mostly down to how consistent the conditions are, eg stone weight, using the same sling and technique, and so on.

'People of letters your warning stands clear, pay heed to your heart and not to your wit. Don't say in ink what you can't in my ear.' - Johnny Flynn

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 7:26am

I have a strong feeling that %50 accuracy on cans at 50 meters over a 6 shot run is possible with a sling. Give me another year or two and I will post videos. There was a time many years ago after a great deal of practice that hitting a 9 inch circle at 20meters was easy. Ive mentioned that on here many times but we have newer members with the same questions so we tend to repeat ourselves or at least I know I do lol. I can get back to that I think hopefully within 6-8 months.

A lot of it depends on if we are comparing two similar things. A sling is a true primitive weapon. Comparing a heavy handled recurve or worse a compound with let off, a mechanical release and peep sight to a sling isnt a fair comparison. Now a wood self bow and wooden arrows at 30 meters. Thats going to be  a much closer race. Stay tuned and I intend to get some answers on these questions. Keep in mind these stones I was using in the last two videos ranged in weight from 3.5 ounces to almost 7 ounces. A huge difference. Most archers would be using arrows of a weight within 50 grains of each other.  Thats a difference of .14 ounces from one arrow to the next. Get your sling stones within that close a range with all other things being equal and you will see magic happen.

EDIT: So just watched the video again.  I believe it was 20% accuracy at 50ft. 3 hits over 15 shots. Might be worth trying with your bow to get a better estimation

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 8:49am

The sling is an instrument, and she must sing. The-musician must be able to play his instrument, and his instrument must be tuned to produce a harmonious melody. or else the song is ruined

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 9:05am

I prefer punk.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 10:33am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 8:49am:
The sling is an instrument, and she must sing. The-musician must be able to play his instrument, and his instrument must be tuned to produce a harmonious melody. or else the song is ruined

Actually sounds a little odd at first J but there may be a lot of truth to that. Notes have different times like 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4.

Think of the Greek, Apache and Byzantine as 2/4, The figure-8, Vertical Greek and Two spin side arm as 3/4 and the Balearic style, Helicopter and Underhand as 4/4.

The timing in slinging is really important. Listen to the crack of the sling. A deeper richer note is better than an erratic or soft sound. More energy is being applied.

I would consider a paracord sling or one of NOOC’s asymetrics to be more like flutes or clarinets while the heavy Balearic is more like a bassoon or tuba.

Both have their place in the symphony of slinging, both must be guided by the Maestro and all beautiful in different ways.

I imagine even seating arrangement and the clothes worn by the different muscians could fall into this analogy. As could, in a round about yet deeper way, hair color, culture, political leanings and credit score. All can be related to the sling in their own ways.

This is one of those insights that make me glad you are here. It makes me really think outside the box to give proper answer for the situation.

Thanks man. You do more than you know. Appreciate ya.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:39am

So true Morphy. I was just thinking about that yesterday while slinging. I started off with a song in my head that was in 4/4 meter, and it totally screwed up my Byzantine style:

https://youtu.be/PSf4Gv-Rf1g

Then I took a little break and sang  “I will Wait” by Mumford and Sons quietly to myself. Once the rhythm was moving in my subconscious, I tried again and there was an obvious improvement:

https://youtu.be/cMtS1Ox9UQg

I think the reason so many people have the best accuracy with Balearic style is because most songs are  in 4/4 time.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:48am

I notice you are constantly putting a side spin on your tennisballs. Is that on purpose, and if so, why

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

CatHataFish
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 12:08pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 7:26am:

I have a strong feeling that %50 accuracy on cans at 50 meters over a 6 shot run is possible with a sling. Give me another year or two and I will post videos. There was a time many years ago after a great deal of practice that hitting a 9 inch circle at 20meters was easy. Ive mentioned that on here many times but we have newer members with the same questions so we tend to repeat ourselves or at least I know I do lol. I can get back to that I think hopefully within 6-8 months.

A lot of it depends on if we are comparing two similar things. A sling is a true primitive weapon. Comparing a heavy handled recurve or worse a compound with let off, a mechanical release and peep sight to a sling isnt a fair comparison. Now a wood self bow and wooden arrows at 30 meters. Thats going to be  a much closer race. Stay tuned and I intend to get some answers on these questions. Keep in mind these stones I was using in the last two videos ranged in weight from 3.5 ounces to almost 7 ounces. A huge difference. Most archers would be using arrows of a weight within 50 grains of each other.  Thats a difference of .14 ounces from one arrow to the next. Get your sling stones within that close a range with all other things being equal and you will see magic happen.

EDIT: So just watched the video again.  I believe it was 20% accuracy at 50ft. 3 hits over 15 shots. Might be worth trying with your bow to get a better estimation

Dunno, know I'm new but I'm pretty skeptical. From the limited amount I've seen.
Watching the Balearic slinging comp, it seems like a winning score in 2017 was two hits on a that steel plate and three on a piece of wood that looks about a square meter, at 20 meters. In trad archery comp they're putting most every shot in the 9 or 10 rings at 50 meters.
Don't get me wrong, not knocking your slinging, maybe this the wrong thread for this, but in terms of accuracy, seems apples to oranges to me, with the oranges being a lot more accurate. Are there videos of guys nailing plates at 50m ranges?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Morphy)