Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scottish Spear illustrations? (Read 916 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Scottish Spear illustrations?
Mar 5th, 2021 at 1:29pm

So this year my wife and I are learning about Scotland in general. I was leafing through "The Clans of the Scottish Highlands", which I'm aware is not what it purports to be but is still an interesting source.

The spears are presented with round balls on the butt end. I have not seen spears like that. Does anyone know if that is historical? Or artistic license? Google and bing don't turn up much.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: Scottish Spear illustrations?
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 5:37pm

Many spears had counterweights at the other end of the pointy bit.  That's about all I can tell you without a picture or a source.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 4:25pm

I took some pictures today to upload.

The source is RR Mcian's "The Clans of the scottish highlands" published in 1845 and is an......mmmm.... idealized reference.But some of the weapons that are illustrated (all metal pistols, the scottish version of the halberd, the swords) are accurate or at least in the neighborhood. Spears like this I've never seen before.

scottish_spear.jpg (65 KB | 56 )
scottish_spear.jpg
scottish_spear2.jpg (77 KB | 23 )
scottish_spear2.jpg
scottish_spear_3.jpg (75 KB | 33 )
scottish_spear_3.jpg

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 7:35pm

Hm.  I can't find anything about those.

One thing I did find was that the Picts were also described with similar counterweights at the ends of their spears.  And that Mciann's drawings were romanticized.

Be careful googling Pict spears though.  The Picts were said to fight naked and you're liable to get an eyeful.

But here's a Pict spear with the same bulb.

A similar, but longer, spear can be found here:  https://allthatsinteresting.com/picts ; The description reads: "A depiction of a Pict warrior, painted as described in Roman history."

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)