Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Military slinging comp idea (Read 1965 times)
Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Military slinging comp idea
Mar 3rd, 2021 at 2:12am

So, I have it in the back of my mind to one day organize a competition based on mass accuracy rather than individual accuracy.

I however need ideas on how to run this currently hypothetical event.

In my mind I imagine making 20-30 head and torso mannequins each protected by a shield.

The game would be played in rounds with the army starting at 100m, then 75m, 50 etc.   

Each team would throw paint drenched stones of two different colors and attempt to score as many hits on the mannequins as possible in the allotted time.

Now the problem of course is finding enough people to mass sling in the first place and how those teams would associate.

My first intuition is to perhaps pit two boy-scout troupes against each other or some such.

However if you have ideas for rules or recruitment please let me know.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Military slinging comp idea
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 4:05am

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 12:46pm

Love the idea but you are right finding that many slingers would be difficult. I imagine inviting a large group of people for a football match then when they get there you pick up the ball and pop it right in front of them while cursing unmanly sports (especially if there are women slingers there.)

Then pass out slings  and golf balls and tell them today is the day when your balls drop, both figuratively and literally.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 12:09pm

I am quite fond of this idea..

How about a sling version of clout archer shooting?

-See who comes closest to a flag, which would be direct equivalent.
-or add the distances of shots closest to a either a flag or line, and the lowest score wins. Line would be more similar to a military unit.
-Or mark a rectangle and count the number of shots that landed within.
Or combine rectangle and cumulated line/flag distnces cumulated to judge on participants with same number of projectiles within rectangle.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 1:23pm

Maybe rectangle with a flag and the flag indicates the enemy leader. Points for landing in rectangle, extra points for hitting the flag (or landing within a small area around the flag). That would be pretty fun I think.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 3:01pm

What would be great is to get a bunch of old mannequins to set up.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 4:00pm

Yes! That would be cool to see. It wouldn't be all that accurate I guess but I'd be interested to see how much a stone bounces around in a group. I've always thought that would be a factor slinging into a group, stones hitting one person then deflecting into others around them.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Martin_Greywolf
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Slovakia
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 5:23pm

If you have a band of local re-enactors, I would suggest contacting them, they usually have both the people and the enthusiasm. What's more, they have armor, so you could concievably have slinging at live targets with tennis balls, while said live targets yell and charge at you with swords.

That way, your live targets will be able to do your scoring for you, operating on "well, I just got nailed in the groin by a tennis ball, I'm out" principle.

Honestly, this sounds like a neat novelty bit to insert into an event near you, including a slinging range where you will charge a reasonable sum per shot and make a neat pile of cash once kids see it.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 6:23am

I doubt Boy Scouts would work. They have so many rules now on what they can't do. They are losing kids because of them.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 12:43pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 10th, 2021 at 3:01pm:

I don’t think the dummies would be very good at slinging.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 1:56pm

We don't have an "applause" emoji on the forum do we?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 4:49pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 12th, 2021 at 12:43pm:
Morphy wrote on Mar 10th, 2021 at 3:01pm:

I don’t think the dummies would be very good at slinging.

I can sling quite fine thank you very much...oh...

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2021 at 5:12pm

I had similar idea half a year ago. Get together those few people I taught slinging to, get as many stones as possible, take all of my Franta targets and set them up in a formation somewhere on a field and stand at least 100m away and sling at that formation. Still need to think this through a bit more, but this would be just a fun event and not an actual competition.

Biggest challenge is getting those people together, it is hard even when planning airsoft games and airsoft is quite popular here.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 4:10pm

Am I the only person who saw the phrase: 'paint drenched stones' and could see every slinger, bystander and all the surrounding area just covered in paint.
Smiley

The comp idea is a great idea - but the 'details' need work lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 10:32am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 4:10pm:
Am I the only person who saw the phrase: 'paint drenched stones' and could see every slinger, bystander and all the surrounding area just covered in paint.
Smiley

The comp idea is a great idea - but the 'details' need work lol

Sling paintball? I would so do that. Of course the paintballs would be water balloons and the casualties would be extensive....so....ya count me in!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger, Chris)