Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Release cord under retention cord on release sidearm (Read 479 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Release cord under retention cord on release sidearm
Mar 2nd, 2021 at 9:24am

#1 When I use a sidearm style, and I have the fingerloop grip or any grip that has the retention cord exit from the fingers, done correctly, upon release the release cord is above the retention cord and this gives me a right-turning spiral spin.

#2 But when I throw sidearm, and instead place the release cord under the retention cord on release, which I can achieve when both the cords exit from the hand in the same place, I get a left-turning spiral spin. This method you have the retention cord running on the inside of your hand with a wrist loop or fingerloop turned inwards.

I've seen Guam slingers sling like this, and it was probably popular in other cultures as well. But I wonder if it worth exploring more.

I tried slinging like this today, but felt a little less accurate. The wrist action is a little different. The pouch seems to angle  more or less on itself. I am not sure it is worse or better. Overall the release felt a little dirtier, but it probably can work if you practice enough, I think it was a popular way to sling with some primitive cultures, although I think I will stick with convential grip #1

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Release cord under retention cord on release sidearm
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 9:39am

Hope this explains it better, this is #2

picture.png (924 KB | 11 )
picture.png

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 12:02pm

I understand the text but the picture confuses me.
I would use a grip like in the picture(side by side grip) for sidespins for sidearm or backspins if it was overhand.

edit: parenthesis

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 4:33am

I can get left rotational spiral spin with this method when I sling sidearm, but it requires a different wrist position on release, and spiral is not as clean as I get with #1. The yaw angles are often slightly angled upwards. The cleanest spiral/rifled shots I get with a middle to ring finger retention cord exit. I believe #1 is a superior grip overall, although I do think that with enough practice this method of gripping can work, it's mostly a matter of what you're used to.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 9:09am

So let me get this straight... when the release cord is on the left side of the retention cord, it spins left. When the release cord is to the right, it spins right. That sounds like a simple fact of how the ammo rolls out of the pouch.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)