Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling Stones of Guam and the Mariana Islands -- Archaeology Studio (Read 682 times)
Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Sling Stones of Guam and the Mariana Islands -- Archaeology Studio
Mar 2nd, 2021 at 9:14am

Sling Stones of Guam and the Mariana Islands -- Archaeology Studio 037

Been going through Youtube to find the best slinging videos.  Just found this one on the history of slinging in Pacific islands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-zg86E2V4w&ab_channel=ArchaeologyStudio

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Sling Stones of Guam and the Mariana Islands -- Archaeology Studio
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 2:19pm

It's probably among the best slinging videos because it's among the only slinging videos.

This video makes a pretty crucial mistake by portraying the sling stones of Guam as unique. They were by no means unique at all! "Slings and Slingstones: The Forgotten Weapons of Oceania and the Americas" by Robert and Gigi York, covers sling stones in the pacific, and shaped clingstones are found throughout the pacific.

It isn't even accurate to say it's unique to the pacific, as shaped biconical sling stones in the Americas and in Europe have been dated to long before their appearance in the Pacific.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: Sling Stones of Guam and the Mariana Islands -- Archaeology Studio
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 7:56pm

Hirtius wrote on Mar 2nd, 2021 at 2:19pm:
It's probably among the best slinging videos because it's among the only slinging videos.

This video makes a pretty crucial mistake by portraying the sling stones of Guam as unique. They were by no means unique at all! "Slings and Slingstones: The Forgotten Weapons of Oceania and the Americas" by Robert and Gigi York, covers sling stones in the pacific, and shaped clingstones are found throughout the pacific.

It isn't even accurate to say it's unique to the pacific, as shaped biconical sling stones in the Americas and in Europe have been dated to long before their appearance in the Pacific.

Sorry, to be clear: I'm looking for the best.  This was not among the best.  But it had so few views that I doubted anyone would see it ever again unless I shared it.  So... it's a pity share.   Cry

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)