Send Topic Print
Range issues (Read 9308 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Range issues
Reply #75 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 2:29am

Footwork is a bit of a mystery, some (like myself) like to step forward in the shot, others swear by fixed footing. I can’t give you a correct answer so I say do what feels natural and gives good results

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #76 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 8:53am

I agree with Mersa.  Stepping into your throw is going to be a personal thing.  But you may find that you'll use both, depending on circumstances.

I also generally use a step, but not with very close targets.  Maybe 5 - 6 meters or less and I don't use a forward step.

I found that changing between the two can also help with accuracy issues.  A while back I completely lost my ability to hit a target.  No idea why.  It was like getting the shanks in golf.  I switched over to slinging without a forward step and gradually got my accuracy back.  As I felt more comfortable with my throw, I reintroduced the forward step.  I still use the technique to this day.  If I find that I'm slinging all over the place, I'll loose the forward step for a couple throws, and that usually gets me back on target.

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #77 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 12:37pm

I really confused about what im doing wrong.

In addition to the foot work problem ( which is the priority)

i have also started to notice a reverb in some of my shots.

like the shaking feeling you get when you shoot a bow with no arrow.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #78 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 7:34pm

I call that recoil, in my experience that’s directly related to the sling weight. A light sling will have less recoil. Also a heavier ammo can reduce recoil and also a whip cracker.

Your not doing anything wrong, this is part of the learning process, your doing great for a relative newbie

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #79 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:33pm

Josephusflav wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 12:37pm:
I really confused about what im doing wrong.

In addition to the foot work problem ( which is the priority)

i have also started to notice a reverb in some of my shots.

like the shaking feeling you get when you shoot a bow with no arrow.

I believe youre struggling to keep cord tension consistent. Try to keep the cords taut throughout the throw. Any looseness before pulling into the powerstroke or the release can lead to that.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #80 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 3:19pm

Your form looks better than in your first video.  You're throwing yourself off balance less and you've smoothed it out some.  I don't think you're doing anything drastically wrong.  You just need more practice.  Slinging can take years to perfect.  Don't get discouraged. 

Edit:  This might be helpful to you.  In a way your slinging reminds me of a  boxer who tries to throw a knockout with every punch.  He ends up burning himself out way early and getting knocked out himself.  Or a baseball player who tries to hit a home run every time at bat and ends up striking out instead. 
    Don't try to kill it on every shot.  Relax. Untense.  Sling at 80% power instead of 100%.  Watch videos of Jaegoor, David Morningstar, or some of our other more accomplished slingers.  They are relaxed when they sling.
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2021 at 8:44am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #81 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 3:50pm

Where should i aim angle wise for range.

also my dog farted

transmission terminated

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #82 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 9:06pm

Josephusflav wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 3:50pm:
Where should i aim angle wise for range.

also my dog farted

transmission terminated

Depending on the temperature outside and the air density... count to three and then aim directly at the dog fart as it rises into the sky, and then you will have the perfect angle.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #83 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 7:02pm

There is an algorithm for this. Follow these steps:

1. Aim at the horizon. Throw as hard as you can.
2. Aim a bit higher. Throw as hard as you can.
3. Aim even higher. Throw as hard as you can.
4. Repeat step 4.

The one that goes the furthest should be your aiming point.

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)