Range issues (Read 9310 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Range issues
Reply #60 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 11:24pm

To second what JudoP said, I also want to mention, that although I've put a number to where the power-stroke should occur, it really isn't a particular point, but a slow acceleration to that point where the maximum force on your arm and the projectile should occur. Really, when the pouch is about at 7:30 to 4:30, that is where most of the pull against the sling should be felt, but you don't start that pull suddenly, it is a smooth transition into the pull (really a push forward with your arm, but the sling feels like it's pulling back, so that's what I call it).

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #61 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 10:41am

IronGoober wrote on Mar 17th, 2021 at 11:24pm:
To second what JudoP said, I also want to mention, that although I've put a number to where the power-stroke should occur, it really isn't a particular point, but a slow acceleration to that point where the maximum force on your arm and the projectile should occur. Really, when the pouch is about at 7:30 to 4:30, that is where most of the pull against the sling should be felt, but you don't start that pull suddenly, it is a smooth transition into the pull (really a push forward with your arm, but the sling feels like it's pulling back, so that's what I call it).

Really important point. One of the most important for accuracy IMO.

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #62 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 12:13pm

I agree with Morphy about using a shorter sling for better control, especially for Byzantine.  With a short sling, I start out with my firing arm hanging straight down and relaxed then do a quick loop and ker-snap.  I don't do a backswing at all.  A very long sling makes it hard to listen to the stone, and if you can't "hear" it well, it's harder to harmonize with it.  If you move your arm faster than the stone is willing to accelerate, the movement comes out uneven and jerky.  You want to feel the flow, and in time take charge of it. Also, if you're going for pure distance, you may want to try underhanded.  It feels like bowling.

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #63 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 4:25pm

Just went to a ballfield threw from the 305 marker to 32 paces (one foot directly in front of another) away from home plate.

This was with a 4.8 ounce stone using Balearic   and my shorter sling, is this good, bad, pathetic?

Google earth says this is about 86m

I also attempted to do the what David suggested with the stirring coffee upside down thing.

I cant feel the bite hes talking about, however I think I am doing it right.

The bite should be created by the sling being ripped out of orbit and drifting to the right and i feel like that is what is happening I just don't feel a noticeable pull .

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #64 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 5:00pm

90+ METER THROW TOday 4.8 ounces of stone

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #65 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 6:00pm

Thats a decent distance for a bigish stone.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #66 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:02am

Great stuff! Just thinking how you'll be doing in a few more months Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #67 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 3:27pm

i broke 100m with a gold ball, not sure how it will far with a rock, i changed 2 things about my technique.

I shifted my weight to my rear, and i allowed myself to continue to spin after i released the ball.

I was advised against this but it got results, next time i go out ill video both my non spinning technique and my spinning tech for review

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #68 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 3:52pm

Sounds good!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #69 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 6:59pm

Josephusflav wrote on Apr 3rd, 2021 at 3:27pm:
i broke 100m with a gold ball, not sure how it will far with a rock, i changed 2 things about my technique.

I shifted my weight to my rear, and i allowed myself to continue to spin after i released the ball.

I was advised against this but it got results, next time i go out ill video both my non spinning technique and my spinning tech for review

Slinging is a very individualistic sport.  What's best for me might not be what's best for you.  Yes, do watch videos and emulate the better slingers.  But you also need to experiment to find what works best for you.
     I'd just like to add that David is an excellent mentor.  It was mainly his videos that taught me how to sling correctly many years ago.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #70 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 7:46pm

any chance of sharing the gold balls ......please.

Cheers

Zud Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #71 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 2:29pm

Josephusflav wrote on Apr 3rd, 2021 at 3:27pm:

Golf balls are probably my favorite ammo.  If you can get a perfect backspin on them (I can) they will fly over the hills and far, far away.

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #72 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 7:00pm

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #73 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 9:03pm

Timing with short sling looks much better. Keep it up

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #74 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 10:10pm

How should my foot work be.

I was leaning really hard on my back foot, however i changed my stance so i leaned moderately on my back foot and took a large step forwards.

This didnt break any records for distance but it did make my accuracy better and i was expending less effort to achieve the same shot distance.

I how do i get the most out of my driving (rear) foot?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man)