Tried some byzantine, lost some power, but gained some accuracy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Range issues
Reply #46 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 8:52pm

Still a little timing issue but doing well. A heavier stone might sort out the timing, looks like your ammo is a little light for that sling .
Keep it up !!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 9:10pm

I have trouble throwing larger stones

I had a smaller one, but i threw it in the river by accident

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #48 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 9:14pm

Keep it up your very close and once you get the timing down power and accuracy will come naturally

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #49 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 9:37pm

There's some progress! Right on, man.

As Mersa said, keep it up. I think if you delayed your power-stroke (the pull forward) by a fraction of a second, you'd get a bit more power overall. (on average, some of your throws were timed nicely).

John R.

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #50 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 11:36pm

For byzantine when should i execute the throw? Where should the sling be pointing on a clock face

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #51 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 11:43pm

Nooc can you please post up some diagrams???

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #52 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 11:59pm

Mersa wrote on Mar 16th, 2021 at 11:43pm:
Nooc can you please post up some diagrams???

As you wish...

https://youtu.be/z-iYJJvYdmw

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #53 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 12:01am

Grin

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #54 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 12:20am

probably 8 o'clock or 7- ish (for a right-handed throw).  it depends on the cadence of the beginning of the wind up, the sling length, and if you have the sling taut up into the power-stroke.

John R.

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #55 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 4:56pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSj61cK2CAY

https://youtu.be/cRd6q9hk9Go

Had a real hard time getting power from the Byzantine method

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #56 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 5:33pm

Try this: The short sling, and 2 ounce stones, nothing bigger.

Set yourself up in a nice gentle helicopter, elbow back, hand up, wrist turning the sling, nothing more. Arm is relaxed, just holding up your hand. Your wrist is stirring coffee upside down, thats all it takes.

As the sling crosses from the right side to the left side, as it crosses the line between you and the target, start a count. The count is 'one, two, three, throw!'

During the count your hand only turns on your wrist, dont telegraph to the sling that you are going to do anything different.

On 'throw!',  drive your hand forwards. Not sideways, not in a spiral, do not make any account of the fact you have a sling in your hand or that there is any rotation happening at all. Straight forward.

Because of the timing you are using now it will feel like this is crazy early, like you are throwing nothing at all. Do it anyway.

Halfway through throwing nothing into empty space, the sling will suddenly go "what the £$*&"  and you will feel a bump or grab, a spike of centrifugal force behind you. Power through this, straight forward, follow through.

Do not wait for the sling's permission to throw. Do not wait for the weight to come behind your hand and give you something to throw. Do not move the way the sling wants to move.

Take the sling completely by surprise by throwing when it is blind, hand and sling should be like ships passing each other in the night. Rip the sling out of its comfortable circle and dont let it fight back.

When you get this right you will probably drag shots way to the left. Dont let your release pinch turn into a death grip. Half your maximum grip strength is plenty. Keep looking right at the target, dont reward bad shots with your attention. Only stones that fly towards the target are in your field of view. You aim will soon fix itself, dont try to 'think-fix' it.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #57 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 6:00pm

2nd video. The timing of the throw at 2:35 was good.  You mostly just need to drive your arm forward harder to get more power, the timing was just about perfect. You just need to get more force moving from your legs/hips up the kinetic chain and into your arm.  You tend to move up off of your plant foot, when you need to be moving more forward, rather than up. (see the subsequent throw)  But try what David suggested. These are just things I'm noticing, its easy to notice, hard to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRd6q9hk9Go&t=2m35s

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #58 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 6:36pm

If there was only one thing I think you should work on it’s rotating the sling with the wrist while holding your arm still. Once it’s second nature to keep the ammo in the pouch, you can more easily work on arm movements. You are using your entire forearm to spin the pouch most of the time in the videos.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #59 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 9:13pm

I watched some of it in slow motion, I think the main thing is just tightening up that chain of motion coming through your feet, legs, hips and then into your upper body. It may be you are 'snatching' at the throw a bit which is putting the motion out of sync and overly relying on your shoulder and arm for power. Try to keep pretty loose and let the upper body motion follow the lower body. Hope it makes sense.

It may well be the case that trying to throw harder is spoiling the timing and making the shots less powerful. Better is to focus on smoothness and then with repetitions the power and speed naturally come in.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15)