Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Range issues (Read 9303 times)
Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Range issues
Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 8:37am

Update: While awaiting the arrival of my good ammo for the video I did some tests.

I used my sub par ammo to mimic some bois in a video.

In the video a man is doing long range slinging Balearic style.

I noticed he was bending way over sideways make the helicopter action way far  behind his back.

I was making the helicopter action just behind me, mimicking the videos of competition slingers shooting at 20-30m.

So I tried the way i saw in the video and was able to hit the bank with relative ease over and over again.

When my good ammo arrives Ill demon straight the change on vid

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 10:27am

Great news! Yes, throw length is important for distance. A common beginner error is to try and make their head the center of the circle, this always leads to a weak throw. Another error is to think that the slinging action is a 'faster spin', when really it is a simple forward throwing motion.

I teach "Create a circle, hold the center of the circle as far back as you can, throw the center towards the target."

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 12:35pm

Here is the video

https://youtu.be/twjuFLdFBXo

At 8:45 the longest throw i have ever achieved is performed

The rest of the video demonstrates to methods of release

1 vertical 1 horizontal 

When I reference the berm I refer to a little ridge in the middle of those trees.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 1:33pm

Honestly, I think you're doing fine. You just have to work out the timing in the muscles. It looks like it's just a new movement. More practice will gain more fluidity.

To help, I'd say try to move with less force, just smoother motion. That will help develop the timing. I had the same issue with disc golf. If I tried too hard, I wouldn't throw far. As soon as I started slowing down to get the timing down (timing of each muscle firing in succession), I started throwing further.

I can't help think of this clip from Paul Rudd in  "I Love You, Man".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKIpCPS-oZc

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 3:33pm

I agree, with time this will be easier.

A couple things I would suggest and of course these are just my theories. Keep your back foot on the ground and push off it while twisting your hips. Imagine a boxer throwing a punch. The power comes from using the entire body. Now keep this in mind I am not the strongest slinger, but Ive never been interested in distance so eh. With a short 24 inch sling I’ve gotten about 120-130 I believe... With denser smooth stones and a slightly longer sling I might hit 160 or more but still not great. So take this with a grain of salt.

Second I would try a slightly shorter sling. Until you get used to them longer slings can be hard to get a good pull through.

Third, what type of stones are you using? If you showed them or said it in the video sorry, I havent had a chance to watch the whole thing.

You can see the push off your foot here on this video I made earlier today. Also be aware that a slight step forward can increase the length of your powerstroke giving you more time to accelerate. It also likewise makes it easier to be accurate as your arm is not trying to speed up really fast over a short period of time, which makes you more erratic.

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1614975833

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #20 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 3:50pm

Expanding on what IG mentioned, I think you need to back off on how much force you're trying to put into the throws.  One thing I notice is that when you step into the throw, you end up jumping off the ground.  I'm a big fan of the forward step, and use it all the time.  But after you take a step, that front foot should be planted and not move again.  You want your body to be stable so your energy can be concentrated into the throw rather than keeping you on your feet.

I would recommend two things.  Do some practicing without moving your feet.  Just turn your hips and then shoulders into the throw.  After some time with that, add your forward step back in.  But after taking the step, don't move your feet again.  When the throw is done, you should be standing in a wide stance with your feet in the same position as they were when you threw the stone.  You may notice that your back foot comes off the ground a little bit, but it shouldn't be turning your entire body around.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 6:53pm

That was excellent advice. Joe is a powerhouse hes a good one to listen to on this.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #22 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 7:22pm

Perfecting your timing and slowing down your power stroke just enough to make your lag angle better will increase the distance from a throw with slightly less power . Add the power after you perfect the timing. Your close , it will come naturally with more practice, keep it up

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #23 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 11:03am

I have been looking through your throws on 0.25 playback speed which isnt true slo mo but I think it show something.

I suspect you are beginning your throw a little late, waiting for the pull of the sling to come behind your hand before driving forward. Try advancing the timing so that you wait for the sling to cross in front of your hand and then throw, so that you start moving during the backswing and when the sling comes around behind your hand you are in full motion. You will feel a powerful 'bite' when this happens.

I would also recommend reducing the weight of your ammo by at least half, and trying to find fatter rounder stones. A lot of what you were throwing was very flat and they never fly well.

With a round fat stone that is three fingerwidths long you can be knocking branches out of those trees on the other bank.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #24 - Mar 6th, 2021 at 12:55pm

There's some really great advice here. One thing I would suggest is try and throw flatter, more perpendicular to the ground. The reason I say that is because it seemed like you were leaning back to get height but then that prevented you getting your weight behind the stone. Throwing flatter, at least at first, will help get a more consistent form which you can then get further distances with. But yeah, as others have said, keep at it. Simply practicing will iron out a lot of kinks. It's not all that natural a movent at first and it can take some adjusting. Keep hold of this video and look back at it after a few months. You'll surprise yourself Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 11:22am

Dave when I throw my intent is to start moving when the sling is pointing at the ground after rotating.

Using a clock face,tell me what number the sling should be pointing at when I start the throw.

Thx

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #26 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 1:06pm

@Josephus. Generally the power pull starts when the sling is at 8 or 9 O'clock (for a right-handed throw).  If you see the throw from overhead, the pull starts at "1" in the picture, or a bit sooner.

John R.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #27 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 1:55pm

12 o'clock is the trigger point. Once the sling is up and spinning, as the stone crosses the forwardmost point I start a count and start my throw on 'three'.

Have a look at this link, jump to 45 seconds and you can see this happen. Same again at 1:55

https://youtu.be/Wz5Uc9XlkWA

Going back to your video and looking at your throw of 8:00 and frame-advancing (pause playback, press comma and full stop keys), when the pouch is at 9 o'clock your hand is moving sideways towards 3 o'clock. You hand then executes a sharp left turn and is travelling forwards when the sling is directly behind at 6 o'clock.

Throw like you are throwing a javelin, straight forwards. Dont let the sling drag you around, you push energy into it by making it do things it doesnt want to do.  Reducing your stone weight by half will help.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #28 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 2:15pm

Your form looks pretty good.  More than anything you just need practice to smooth your style out.  I did find one flaw that you can easily correct.  Your follow through with your right foot is way late.  Your throw is over by the time you follow through. This is costing you a good bit of power. You can correct this by starting your follow through earlier.  You should almost double your power right away. There's something else I'd like you to try though.  In that you're throwing yourself off balance I want you to try eliminating the follow through with your right foot.  Don't lift your right foot off of the ground.  You can lift your heal but leave your toes planted. Just be sure to turn your hips into the throw. Many of us sling this way, myself included, and find it more accurate. Whether or not to follow through with your back foot has been a source of debate on several threads here.
     Jaegoor is one of our better slingers. Maybe our best.  Study his videos.

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 1:39pm

So I attempted to start launching when the sling was in the 12o'clock position.

The result was a massive loss of power, I only hit the bank twice.

I changed over to a longer sling which helped marginally.

Angry

Ill try again tomorrow and see what happens

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)