Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Power comes from the hips? (Read 1731 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Power comes from the hips?
Mar 1st, 2021 at 11:16am

Someone please explain the phrase “power comes from the hips”

It gets repeated on this forum all the time, but it makes no sense to me.

Arms and legs generate power, but I am not aware of “hip muscles” that would be the main source of energy in slinging. What is meant by “power comes from the hips “ then?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Power comes from the hips?
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:04pm

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:30pm

vetryan15 wrote on Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:04pm:

LOL that may be TOO MUCH power there vet. Also, I may have completely lost my appetite for slinging now.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:36pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 1st, 2021 at 11:16am:
Someone please explain the phrase “power comes from the hips”

It gets repeated on this forum all the time, but it makes no sense to me.

Arms and legs generate power, but I am not aware of “hip muscles” that would be the main source of energy in slinging. What is meant by “power comes from the hips “ then?

There's no sites about it for slinging, but it's a similar motion to throwing.

https://www.weckmethod.com/articles/baseball-throwing-mechanics-using-rotation-f...

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:41pm

I guess it's referring to movement of the hips, which in turn moves/turns the upper body. The hips themselves aren't generating the power, it instead comes from the legs, abdominals etc.

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 1:49pm

I think it is rotating into the throw, not just throwing with your arms. Practical Paracord on YT has awesome slinging videos and demonstrates this very well.  Wink

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 1:53pm

The phrase really should be "power comes from turning of the hips followed by rotation of the torso"

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 2:23pm

"Power comes from your core" would make more sense too.

Talking about hips implies hip thrusting, which is a linear motion, not rotational.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 4:23pm

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 4:41pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 1st, 2021 at 2:23pm:
"Power comes from your core" would make more sense too.

Talking about hips implies hip thrusting, which is a linear motion, not rotational.

Dancers also use hips to generate more power in their turns. I wonder how a background in dancing would affect someones power.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 6:00pm

I wonder if there’s a advantage at the hips for overhand. Or is it only true in horizontal throws.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 9:14am

So... power from the hips really means “hip rotation”

This question is specifically for you Jaegoor: you have said you aim with the belly button.
How does one rotate the hips and aim with the belly button at the same time?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 3:01pm

Yes, I aim with my stomach.  It is part of an overall concept.  It's not easy to explain.  I always read a lot of skepticism and doubt here.  The concept of using power from the hip is also barely understood.  It is absolutely nothing new.  You can also find this concept in many martial arts.  A short movement results in many other movements.  You do not have to actively control them.  Many perceive such success as instinctive shooting.  But there is no such thing as instinctive shooting.  You just call it that.  In reality, they have managed to keep their movement to a minimum.  This minimized movement results in other movements.  These then only need a little force.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 3:33pm

Jaegoor wrote on Mar 3rd, 2021 at 3:01pm:
Yes, I aim with my stomach.  It is part of an overall concept.  It's not easy to explain.  I always read a lot of skepticism and doubt here.  The concept of using power from the hip is also barely understood.  It is absolutely nothing new.  You can also find this concept in many martial arts.  A short movement results in many other movements.  You do not have to actively control them.  Many perceive such success as instinctive shooting.  But there is no such thing as instinctive shooting.  You just call it that.  In reality, they have managed to keep their movement to a minimum.  This minimized movement results in other movements.  These then only need a little force.

I still don’t understand how you rotate your hips and aim with your stomach. Are you saying that the stomach stays pointed at the target while hips and shoulders rotate?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 3:37pm

Try the following.  Stand normally.  Take your left foot a small step forward.  Your belly button should now be pointing at the target.  Now raise your left arm and point your hand at your target as well.  Two points now point to their target at the same time.  Navel and left hand.  Now they raise their firing hand as well.  Your shoulder should now be in a line.  This is important.  Now take your shot hand far back.  The following will happen.  Your stomach will move too.  So he goes out of line to the goal.  Your hip, too, of course.  You will now feel a slight tension in the hip area.  This tension is inconspicuous to many.  But she will control her shot.  If you want to shoot now, forget about your arm.  Just move your belly button back towards your target.  It is recommended to practice this movement slowly.  Your head wants to move your arm first.  So try it slowly a few times.  I bet you that if you move your hip forward, your arm will follow.  He must follow.  There is a connection between the shoulder and the hip.  Called the spine.  This is not easy for a beginner.  Many will always power out of their arms.  You will always shoot past the target to the left.  If your shots miss the right, check your navel.  He won't point at the target.  He points in the direction of your shot.  The better you manage to control your hips, the better you will hit and your power will also increase.  You will notice that your hip and shoulder are only minimally apart in time.  Now more and more muscle groups will flow into the movement.  Your power will reach a maximum.  You yourself will find it instinct.  😁 Have fun with it

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker)