Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mythbusters Shock stickers (Read 768 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Mythbusters Shock stickers
Mar 1st, 2021 at 7:35am

Question for you all: Mythbusters used to use shock/impact stickers to judge lethality from concussive forces. Does anyone remember the different levels? Like perhaps 75G for instant kills etc.
I remember them mentioning this on several occasions but would rather not sort through several dozen episodes until I find it. Im wanting to get some for project at some point.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: Mythbusters Shock stickers
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 8:48am

Morphy wrote on Mar 1st, 2021 at 7:35am:
Question for you all: Mythbusters used to use shock/impact stickers to judge lethality from concussive forces. Does anyone remember the different levels? Like perhaps 75G for instant kills etc.
I remember them mentioning this on several occasions but would rather not sort through several dozen episodes until I find it. Im wanting to get some for project at some point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2016_season)

Ball Fall
Myth      Status      Notes
A person who falls out of a helicopter while inside an inflatable zorb ball can survive the impact and walk away uninjured.      Busted      Adam and Jamie attached "shock watch" stickers to Buster, calibrated to register impacts of 50, 75, and 100 g. With Jamie watching from the ground, Adam rode with Buster in a helicopter up to an altitude of 1,000 feet (300 m) and dropped a sandbag to ensure that he could hit the target zone. Adam then kicked an unprotected Buster out of the cabin hatch as a control run. Buster hit the ground at an estimated 120 miles per hour (190 km/h), tripping all the stickers and indicating fatal injuries.
Adam and Jamie then loaded Buster into the ball and suspended him from the helicopter by a tether with a quick-release catch. When Adam dropped Buster from the same height in this trial, his impact velocity was reduced to 56 miles per hour (90 km/h), but all the stickers were tripped again. A final attempt, with several bundles of bubble wrap inside the ball to cushion Buster, gave the same results; in addition, some of the bundles were dislodged and Buster sank to the bottom of the ball's internal cavity. Adam and Jamie called the myth busted, since none of the impacts were survivable.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 10:35am

Thank you for that Oxnate.  So i could just get all of them. Do you remember what each level indicates? Like minor injuries, severe, dead etc? If its in the link you provided maybe Ill have to peruse through it but if anyone knows it off hand that would be even better.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:45pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 1st, 2021 at 10:35am:
Thank you for that Oxnate.  So i could just get all of them. Do you remember what each level indicates? Like minor injuries, severe, dead etc? If its in the link you provided maybe Ill have to peruse through it but if anyone knows it off hand that would be even better.

No.

I did find this study.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100624092526.htm

100 Gs is pretty dangerous.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 6:45pm

Thanks!

In your honor either the analogue knight or the huge sling will be named after you. Im thinking Sir Oxnate has a good ring to it.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2021 at 7:19am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 8:01pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 1st, 2021 at 6:45pm:
Thanks!

In your honor wither the analogue knight or the huge sling be named after you. Im thinking Sir Oxnate has a good ring to it.

I like it!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 12:08am

Is this what those rappers talk about keeping in their pocket?

John R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)