Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idea for American Politics (Read 1450 times)
Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Idea for American Politics
Feb 27th, 2021 at 3:31pm

So I had this idea to improve American Politics:

If you get elected, you become a ward of the state. 

You can never again receive a salary, own property, own stock, work on behalf of a company owned in any part by family members, pay family members to work for you or your re-election campaign, marry anyone who ever worked on your campaign.  You are not allowed to lobby for any bills ever again.  All your assets are distributed to whomever you choose (children/charity/other) before taking the Oath of Office.

Any money in campaign bank accounts can be gifted to the campaign of your choice if you fail to be elected/reelected.  You have 10 years to make the choice.  If you don't choose or you pass away without choosing, it's distributed equally among all active campaigns in the next election.

Trump: no more paying family to work for you.  Give up all your assets, either to charity or to kids.
Pelosi: Has made millions "investing" in IPOs not available to general public immediately after killing bills that would have hurt certain industries several times.
Maxine Watters: Paid her daughter 1.1 million from her campaign fund.
Ilhan Omar: Married campaign worker/manager after paying him hundreds of thousands from campaign.
Mitch McMcConnell: Well, I'm sure he's dirty too.

While in office, you get two government sponsored houses if working for US.  One in DC and one in your state.  You just get the one if you're a state representative.  All travel and meals are paid for by the state for life.  When you retire, you retire to a "political home" in your home state.  All retired politicians live out the rest of their lives in this home.  There are no expenses.  All meals, utilities, medical care, are provided.  Probably somewhat lavishly as those still making the rules want to live comfortably when they retire too, but this could theoretically severely cut down on the rampant corruption in the US.

Unless we can root out the corruption, I don't see the US lasting much longer.

Thoughts?

EDIT: forgot staffers.  Current rules would mean that all the corruption would go to permanent staffers instead.  Basically, "the power behind the throne."  Term limits for staffers then.  Staffers can only serve on two staffs.  So they can be trained in on one and serve on another while training the next generation.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2021 at 11:35am by Oxnate »  

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Idea for American Politics
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 4:07pm

Never gonna happen. Too many greedy people out for themselves. 

Such a shame.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 4:37pm

choose the president at random he gets paid the minimum wage.
ostracize greedy people ,banishment+all of their money/possessions go to the people

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 8:44pm

@
Sarosh

Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 11:50pm

Theres a really easy way to fix our government. It involves a rope, a long drop and a sudden stop.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 6:25pm

Love the idea but as Vetryan wrote, it's never going to happen.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 10:34am

In US (and many other countries) politics is expensive. Every candidate has to spend considerable amount of money on electoral campaigns. One need to either personally invest or get backed by investors to run for both national and local political positions. So every single politician is either part of the elite or backed by the elite, no matter their political positions.

The solution is to make politics cheap. Electoral campaigns should be simple and inexpensive. Only election posters and party members and volunters handling out flyers, candy and pencils on the street.
Then everyone can become a politician, not only the elite.

Morphy wrote on Feb 27th, 2021 at 11:50pm:
Theres a really easy way to fix our government. It involves a rope, a long drop and a sudden stop.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 7:20am

How about anyone who insults or bad mouths another candidate is automatically disqualified from ever holding office.

Campaigns can ONLY contain information about you and your policies.

pretty sure that would reduce the entirety of any american election  campaign to about 2 minutes.

'vote for me - and I'll do my job'.

You can't even say: 'vote for me, I'm better than the other guy'.
'cos that's impugning the other guy. 

You can't mention any other parties or candidates. purely what you claim you will do. Not even:
'well I'll improve union rights because the other guys won't.'
Nope.
You can say you'll improve union rights - but you can't make any comparisons.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 7:48am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 10th, 2021 at 7:20am:
How about anyone who insults or bad mouths another candidate is automatically disqualified from ever holding office.

good for elections but really bad for politics in general, because the strong will enforce it on the weak and it will be practically infringement on the freedom of speech and there will be no criticism on the government.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 10:02am

A couple points.

So over the years Ive become jaded with politics. I used to think there was a way to implement laws that would restrict corruption in power but asking the corrupt to implement fair laws is being a beggar to your own demise. On top of that any good law can be twisted for evil. There is no way around that.

Ultimately its not about using just force to cut off the corrupt its about society in general adopting a moral society and refusing to give into society weakening patterns. A firm resolve in this regard is a long term goal but the only way I can see to fix things. It took us a long time to get to this point and it will take a long time to fix it but I see no other way. Roaches will run from the light and more good people in Congress means the evil feel less embolden to do evil things.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 1:30pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 10th, 2021 at 10:02am:
A couple points.

Roaches will run from the light and more good people in Congress means the evil feel less embolden to do evil things.

Yes, another idea is to make all proposals, amendments, and votes public.

As it is, someone in congress slipped a bill protecting food giant Monsanto into a budget bill.  We don't know who did this.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/monsanto-protection-act/

The person that added the amendment in a closed committee meeting was very obviously bribed, which is why they made sure we don't know who they are.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 1:34pm

Oxnate wrote on Mar 10th, 2021 at 1:30pm:
Morphy wrote on Mar 10th, 2021 at 10:02am:
A couple points.

Roaches will run from the light and more good people in Congress means the evil feel less embolden to do evil things.

Yes, another idea is to make all proposals, amendments, and votes public.

As it is, someone in congress slipped a bill protecting food giant Monsanto into a budget bill.  We don't know who did this.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/monsanto-protection-act/

The person that added the amendment in a closed committee meeting was very obviously bribed, which is why they made sure we don't know who they are.

Happens all the time. People think politicians make the laws. In reality bankers and multinationals that lobby for the laws they need are the true power players. Monsanto is disgusting. As are many of these massive companies.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 10:14pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 10th, 2021 at 7:20am:

pretty sure that would reduce the entirety of any american election  campaign to about 2 minutes.

'vote for me - and I'll do my job'.

You can't even say: 'vote for me, I'm better than the other guy'.
'cos that's impugning the other guy. 

You can't mention any other parties or candidates. purely what you claim you will do. Not even:
'well I'll improve union rights because the other guys won't.'
Nope.
You can say you'll improve union rights - but you can't make any comparisons.

Love this! Great idea! If only....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man)