Giant Lead Glande? (Read 5196 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Giant Lead Glande?
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 11:21am

the weight is not prohibitive for a hand sling.
Use a wrist strap and that would be an easy thing to throw.

And against an opponent in armour  - oh yeah !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 12:09pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Feb 26th, 2021 at 11:00am:
Kick wrote on Feb 26th, 2021 at 6:11am:
Yeah there is no damage at all. I think decoration or a "sample" piece. Who knows, it could be a prize or trophy. I seriously doubt it was ever actually thrown. Other bullets of a similar size? Maybe some were used, but this one is too perfect.

Did you look at the other photo of the other side?
Not sure what caused that mark but it's more than superficial.

Do you know what? I think that might be from a spade. It doesn't say how it was found, but if it was dug up I can imagine a spade leaving a mark like that in soft lead.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 7:13pm

Kick wrote on Feb 26th, 2021 at 12:09pm:
Archaic Arms wrote on Feb 26th, 2021 at 11:00am:
Kick wrote on Feb 26th, 2021 at 6:11am:
Yeah there is no damage at all. I think decoration or a "sample" piece. Who knows, it could be a prize or trophy. I seriously doubt it was ever actually thrown. Other bullets of a similar size? Maybe some were used, but this one is too perfect.

Did you look at the other photo of the other side?
Not sure what caused that mark but it's more than superficial.

Do you know what? I think that might be from a spade. It doesn't say how it was found, but if it was dug up I can imagine a spade leaving a mark like that in soft lead.

Geez. No offense, but you guys are doing a lot of speculation. I'm just going to guess that the simplest answer is probably the best one.

Was it ammo for a mysterious siege weapon that shoots giant glandes with some mechanism to make it spin, and that no one has found any other trace of? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Was the dent in the side from a spade? Maybe I'm just pointing out the obvious, but I think that dent might be from the fact that it's a projectile and it probably hit something hard.

Unless we get evidence of otherwise, it would make sense that it is exactly what it looks like.

And I can't believe I have to say this, but let's be real. This is slinging.org, who here hasn't wanted to sling around a big ass lead sling bullet? I can't speak for the ancients, but I can only imagine that at least some of them felt the same way.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 5:55am

I was saying a spade because it looks like a cut and is in the side. If it was flattened at the tip or on the side, like I've seen with the lead I've slung, I would be much more confident saying it had "seen action". I can't see how that damage would have occurred if it had been slung. I don't doubt for a second that bullets this big have been slung, but this one doesn't seem to have been and it would also seem it is really pretty rare to find these. Two simplest reasons for that: they didn't make very many of these or they didn't keep them and didn't let the large amount of lead go to waste so melted them down for other users.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 8:00am

Im a relatively weak slinger and can sling an 800 gram stone 1 handed 100 meters with very little practice with a long sling. (Its been close to 8 years the last I can remember throwing with a sling greater than 24 inches.) Imagine what a strong trained slinging warrior could do with that? It would obliterate anything it hit.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #20 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 8:17am

According to the museum, the object was bought from Martin Charles in 1865.
Martin Charles, according Wikipedia, participated in purchase of the building which became the embassy of France in Greece.
The museum reports the unusual size of the object.
There is therefore no evidence that this is an object dated dated to antiquity.
The hypothesis of an infringement is not to be excluded.
In anycase, it is my idea.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 8:41am

Kick wrote on Feb 27th, 2021 at 5:55am:
I was saying a spade because it looks like a cut and is in the side. If it was flattened at the tip or on the side, like I've seen with the lead I've slung, I would be much more confident saying it had "seen action". I can't see how that damage would have occurred if it had been slung. I don't doubt for a second that bullets this big have been slung, but this one doesn't seem to have been and it would also seem it is really pretty rare to find these. Two simplest reasons for that: they didn't make very many of these or they didn't keep them and didn't let the large amount of lead go to waste so melted them down for other users.

I don't think in this case that we can completely draw from modern data. If it was exposed to the elements for a couple thousand years, it might have had such a gash expanded. There are sling bullets that are missing chunks, this one might be different because of its extreme size. I also don't think anyone ever tested such a large bullet, and it might be that it hit a pretty uneven surface.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #22 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 12:46pm

Could be an imperfection from the casting.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #23 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 2:43pm

Hirtius wrote on Feb 26th, 2021 at 7:13pm:
Was it ammo for a mysterious siege weapon that shoots giant glandes with some mechanism to make it spin, and that no one has found any other trace of? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

There is far more lost to history than that which survives to be apart of our 'knowledge' today. It is often the case that only prolific, widespread technologies are the one's we get to know about. There is no doubt in my mind that such things were experimented with, even if they didn't turn out to be as practical as other designs. As an extreme example, practically none of us would have thought such things as the Antikythera mechanism could have even existed until it was found. We are hardly talking about 'high' technology required for a device to chuck a chunk of lead in a slightly alternative manner.  Wink

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 6:16pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Feb 27th, 2021 at 2:43pm:
There is far more lost to history than that which survives to be apart of our 'knowledge' today. It is often the case that only prolific, widespread technologies are the one's we get to know about. There is no doubt in my mind that such things were experimented with, even if they didn't turn out to be as practical as other designs. As an extreme example, practically none of us would have thought such things as the Antikythera mechanism could have even existed until it was found. We are hardly talking about 'high' technology required for a device to chuck a chunk of lead in a slightly alternative manner.  Wink

True, but I think even similar devices to the Antikythera mechanism were described by Cicero, so there was some context for it before. Claiming that this lead bullet is for a siege weapon is done without context. We don't know how it would be launched, and from my knowledge we have no artifact or textual evidence for a weapon that you would be describing. To be fair it wouldn't be discussed or have been used very often. However, it doesn't make sense since we already have a perfectly reasonable explanation for it (as a sling bullet) that already has precedent. We know we can sling objects of that size, and the shape, material, and even having an inscription are all characteristics of a sling bullet.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #25 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 11:11am

For those they are interested in false archeology :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiara_of_Saitaferne

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #26 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 12:52pm

That's a good point. A lead glandes would be one of the easiest things to "fake" or make at a later date than it is presented as being from.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 10:37pm

True, it could be faked. But why? I would imagine many fakes are made for some financial gain or some other sort of purpose like prestige. By the way, the tiara of Saitaferne mentioned earlier had great value but wasn't even intended to be a fake.

This object, we can probably say with confidence that it is a sling bullet. To go back to the earlier question, why would someone fake it?

The general public doesn't really give a crap about slings, so this probably isn't to impress them. Despite the prevalence of the sling throughout the world, slings and sling ammunition are really ever on display in any museum or anything.

This probably won't impress too many archaeologists or historians either. As we probably all know, archaeologists in many cases even forget slinging is a thing.  Thankfully in the cases of Greek and Roman lead bullets, they get identified easily since they are fairly common. However, they aren't prestigious finds. Sometimes bullets have messages on the sides that spark interest, but this bullet doesn't even do that. The inscription is essentially unintelligible.

The only thing remarkable is its size. While impressive, its an object that most people don't care about, and it doesn't give any monumental insight. Who would gain from faking this? Theres no money or prestige in it.

One last and most important thing is that Tombelaine also mentioned that there is no record of it, besides that it was obtained in Greece in 1865. That's true. However, most artifacts before modern archaeology in the early/mid 1900s weren't tracked and documented in their original context. Archaeology was often a hobby of rich people taking souvenirs. For this to have little to no documentation is actually quite normal.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 8:41am

I'm with hirtus.

It'sa just a  big lead glande.

Actually 500gm of lead is not 'big' just heavy.

It would be both an easy item to sling and a highly effective projectile against anyone - armoured or not.
Hell it would take out a horse fairly easily.

why aren't there many found ?

well unlike the 50-70gm lead bullets that bury themselves deep when hitting ground - these would stay on the surface and ether be recycled as other lead items or just re-used.

Just because something doesn't show up in the archaelogy record does not mean it's a fake.  It can just mean it was never buried in the first place and was a great, easy to find item, that the battlefield scavengers kept an eye out for.

If it walks like a duck and looks like duck, it's going to taste great with orange sauce Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 11:04am

I never said that it's a fake.
I'm saying there's some evidence missing that it's real.
Is there another specimen ? Is there a text of the period ? Has the object been dated ? Three times no ! Sad
So the hypothesis that it's a false, is not to be excluded.
If someone can answer yes to only one question, then this slingstone will be true.
For now, your opinions, (interesting by the way), are built on sand. Keep a cool head, don't believe what may be wrong.  Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar)