Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Mushroom Hunting 2021 (Read 11008 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Mushroom Hunting 2021
Reply #90 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 8:41am

It's not the 1970s, you'll never get that past IRB anymore  Grin

I agree though, it would be fascinating.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #91 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 4:16am

perpetualstudent wrote on Nov 1st, 2021 at 8:41am:
It's not the 1970s, you'll never get that past IRB anymore  Grin

I agree though, it would be fascinating.

Thats because they lack vision. Which, ironically, is where the mushrooms come in. It would be really interesting though.

The purple spored puffball. - Calvatia cyathiformis. This guy was a good sized one and very fresh. In retrospect I shouldve eaten it.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #92 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 9:07am

Those ones you posted with the bluing are the prettiest mushrooms I think I've ever seen.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #93 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 11:04am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 3rd, 2021 at 9:07am:
Those ones you posted with the bluing are the prettiest mushrooms I think I've ever seen.

I like how their beauty is sort of hidden until they either get bruised or start drying a little.
Really if you get a magic mushroom and the bluing is deep its a color you almost never see in nature. At least not among plants and fungi. Its a super vivid almost neon blue at times. Truly beautiful man. The pics dont really do it justice.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #94 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 12:53pm

Found this a few weeks ago when walking through a field, amongst several others.
Aminita Citrina - false death cap?

Aminita_Citrina.jpeg (241 KB | 35 )
Aminita_Citrina.jpeg

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #95 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 3:35pm

Either Macrolepiota or Chlorophyllum species most likely.

The cap has a very pronounced umbo (protuberance or nipple) at the top which is more suggestive of the above genera and not as common in amanitas. The stem might be suggestive of the snakeskin observed on true parasol mushrooms but you would have to spore print it as well as do some further study to differentiate from a false parasol which drops green spore as opposed to the highly sought after and delicious Parasol.

The ring or annulus is thick and appears to be moveable whereas the annulus of the A. Citrina appears as most amanita species, wispy like a flowing silk cloth and easily damaged on touching.

An easy test to see if its an amanita is to dig around and approx 4 inches below the ground under the stem. If its growing out of an egg like case its an amanita.

However this is almost certainly one of the above two genera.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #96 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 3:37pm

Good find Archaic. If its a true parasol they are reportedly very good eating though Ive never had one.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #97 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 5:41am

Found these a few years ago at a medieval festival.
They taste great! You just need to reincarnate for each one you eat...

Death_Cap_3.JPG (267 KB | 33 )
Death_Cap_3.JPG
Death_Cap_2.JPG (225 KB | 34 )
Death_Cap_2.JPG

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #98 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 8:43am

I saw a video on youtube years ago where a guy who fancied himself a shaman had a large death cap and ate the whole thing fresh. Apparently he didnt die or get sick. Im still wondering how he pulled that trick off. Supposedly they are actually pretty tasty.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #99 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 1:49pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 5th, 2021 at 8:43am:
I saw a video on youtube years ago where a guy who fancied himself a shaman had a large death cap and ate the whole thing fresh. Apparently he didnt die or get sick. Im still wondering how he pulled that trick off. Supposedly they are actually pretty tasty.

You could probably dress up another similar mushroom to look like it, or he's built up a tolerance of amatoxin by eating very small amounts over several years (if that is possible).
Thanks for the info by the way! I agree the former mushroom is probably a parasol or parasol variant after looking it up.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #100 - Nov 26th, 2021 at 10:47am

that aminita citrina does look a lot like a parasol mushroom.

If you get them early they look just like chicken drumsticks - we used to get them some years back. And yeah very good eating Thumbs Up

If I remember right, false deathcaps tend to grow in groups and are edible, whereas actul deathcaps - of which I've seen only one, grow solitary.

It's not a theory I intend to ever put to the test Smiley

When the coal mines were still active  - and I basically live on top of a honeycomb of deep mine shafts. At one point there were at least 10 mineheads within a mile.
what's that got to do with mushrooms - bear with me.
As a consequence we also had a lot of coal burning power stations in the area and some truly vicious acid rain.
That stuff used to make your eyes really sting.

However during the years we had the acid rain, we also had pretty much all the species of edible fungi you get in the uk, growing in the local woods and fields.

Gradually as the mines were closed and the power stations shutdown, the acid rain diminished and went and the mushrooms went with it.

I can only surmise that the acid used to break down a lot of materials in the soil into nutrients that really helped the mycelium to grow.

Haven't seen a cep or wood blewitt for a very long time. But once, they were pretty abundant. 

Love that purple spored puffball morphy. Those veins look almost like a brian coral.

I've eaten giant puffball a couple times. if you egg and breadcrumb it, it fries like schnitzel. 
Not a lot of flavour, but good eating.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #101 - Nov 28th, 2021 at 10:06am

Yes, its actually kind of like tofu in that sense isnt it? You choose the flavor to add to it. But at least it doesnt have a bunch of soy which in an age of falling mens testosterone is something we definitely dont need more of. Also you can find one large puffball and its a large meal.

Normal oysters from the tree are similar they dont have a huge amount of flavor but you know, spice them right and you are good to go. King oysters on the other hand are quite good with just a bit of butter and a pinch of garlic.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #102 - Nov 28th, 2021 at 10:20am

Uh Oh, Naughty Morphy with Naughty Mushrooms. Looks like I get psychedelic coal this year for Christmas. Better watch out Santa, those cookies hit hard.

The hand is there for scale. Very poor scale but scale nonetheless. No Im not picking it in these pics its just you dont get the full effect of a good size Psilocybe cubensis from a photo.  Also, observe the roundness and overall texture of the cow sh!+ next to it. Looks like he was eating figs perhaps? How bougie.

This actually isnt a huge cube. They can get quite big under the right circumstances. Yet two shrooms like this would definitely take you places. Jail or to some lizard dimension. Actually been to the second place. 60 fresh grams will do that. Oh the memories. I dont care for magic mushrooms though. I never found them to be fun though theres been some intriguing studies done showing they may play a big role in helping depression.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)