Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Mushroom Hunting 2021 (Read 11009 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Mushroom Hunting 2021
Feb 24th, 2021 at 5:36pm

Friends, Family, Lurkers, and that cat that is sitting in front of your screen pretending not to be able to read perfect English:

It is time for the annual, or at least, hypothetically annual Mushroom Hunting thread.

I would like to invite anyone who wants to to please post any pics of both fungi and pictures involving mushroom hunting. Such as a nice forest scene with mushies, or really anything nature or that can be called in some way related to the activity of mushroom hunting. Sling pics of course are fine just take it on the ground near a mushroom lol.

The only I thing I ask is we do our best not to spam too many pictures of non-mushrooms. Some are always nice to set the mood though.

This year I “borrowed” an ID template for anyone interested in getting ID’s on mushrooms (or taking part in the ID process itself. ) We have several members here now that have grown considerably in their ID skills so whether right or wrong we will have a guess for you at some point lol.

Please understand that the mushroom kingdom is incredibly complex. For best results on ID’s please see the template at the bottom of this thread and give all pertinent information you have available, multiple pics in good lighting for each ID requested is strongly suggested. One from looking down but close to see the substrate it is in and how it grows in relation to other mushrooms in the same group, one from the side, a close up of the gills etc. More the better but not necessary.

Please be aware nothing on this thread is meant to indicate you should eat a mushroom that you personally are not 100% sure is a safe mushroom. I, nor anyone else here, can definitively ID a mushroom as safe or toxic. Find a local mycology group in your area and start learning from experts face to face. That is the only safe way to learn.

I could care less if you are trying to get high. If it’s a mushroom and you want an ID, post it. Really could not care less. No trip reports though. This is not a thread for glorifying drug use no matter how little I personally care about it. Jokes are fine always, but please no long detailed reports on captaining a pirate ship across the galaxy.

If you are new here please feel free to take part even if you have no pictures to add. Questions, comments, concerns etc are all welcome. Pictures are what make’s these threads really pop. Keep that in mind.

Any post suggesting a person should eat a mushroom they are trying to get ID’ed on this thread will be deleted. No exceptions. You can however say that you tried it of your own accord if you so choose and give us any details on dishes prepared with it. This is one of the best parts of a thread like this. Just please, one more time, DO NOT EAT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT 100% sure on. Assuming you are not a minor, that is, in which case find an expert to help you and get your parent’s permission of course.

Sorry about all the rules, but hopefully you all can understand. This is a great thread until it isn’t if you catch my drift.

Ok,

Template:

* Habitat What kind of trees were nearby?  What was it growing from? 
    * Location Where in the world was it?
    * Gills What do they look like?  Always try to take photos that show the gills of both young and mature mushrooms. 
    * Stem Carefully dig it out of the ground so you can get a picture of the whole thing.
    * Spore print color (if you have time)
    * Scent of the mushroom.
    * Color that the mushroom bruises when damaged.
    * Anything else you might find important

Remember when digging mushrooms that some can grow from egg like sacs under the surface. Remember to dig all the way down until you are sure you find the very bottom.

Poisonous mushrooms can be touched without danger but care must be taken to wash hands well afterwards. Obviously don’t suck on fingers and keep them out of your mouth lol. In fact, just ask yourself this question, “Do I want deadly poison on this part of my body?” If the answer is no, don’t do it.  If you have any cuts consider wearing latex gloves, which is simpler anyways all the way around.  I’ve held and handled most of the extremely deadly mushrooms available in NA, still here and kicking. Just be safe and use common sense: Death Caps are not lollipops, but they sure are beautiful. Just respect them because they don’t respect you.

Other than that, Let’s make this the best year yet!   Cheesy

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Mushroom Hunting 2021
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:15pm

Snow wont be done melting till MAY

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:25pm

vetryan15 wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:15pm:
Snow wont be done melting till MAY

You and Ms. Woods have my address. Its a fine day here.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:43pm

Lol

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 7:46pm

I’ll start us out with a very magical spore print. This is from Psilocybe Cubensis. A well known Magic Mushroom. Spores from active mushrooms are not illegal to own. How I got this print is quite the miracle. I was walking in a field and someone took the mushroom cap off and placed it on a piece of aluminum foil an hour before I got there. I flicked the dirty, evil, illegal mushroom cap away and took the pure, virtuous and legal spores.

Psilocybe spores when new are purple. Some are quite a beautiful shade of purple. I can’t imagine a better color for a magic mushroom’s spores.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 7:48pm

I think i remember that,  unfortunately i am not digging 4 ft of snow. But once all the snow is melted. I will be sending u all the pics i got Wink

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 3:45am

I’ll be posting to this very soon as we come into autumn in the Southern Hemisphere.

I would like to add a little extra rule/disclaimer.
“Picking” a mushroom without any knowledge of its rarity or identification should be avoided.
No need to destroy anything that May be detrimental to the lifecycle.

Any how happy hunting

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 5:06am

Mersa wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 3:45am:
I’ll be posting to this very soon as we come into autumn in the Southern Hemisphere.

I would like to add a little extra rule/disclaimer.
“Picking” a mushroom without any knowledge of its rarity or identification should be avoided.
No need to destroy anything that May be detrimental to the lifecycle.

Any how happy hunting

Thank you  Wink

These are pictures of a species Ive been looking for for quite sometime. Amanita Jacksonii basically the American equivalent to A. Caesarea. Supposedly a very good mushroom Ive personally never had the desire to try it. I have some nice pictures from last year and since we didnt have one last year here they are.  Grin

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 7:03am

As a boy my daddy said to me.....

If you aren't going to eat it, don't kill it.

I think this applies to people, animals, plants and fungi.

Amen, Mersa.

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 9:17am

So thats a good point to bring up early in this thread.

Mushrooms are actually the fruit bodies of the actual organism. So the real organism itself is mycelium which is a cotton like mass living on whatever the mycelium is consuming. The mushrooms are like apples on an apple tree. If you dont pick them they will be dead in a few days and nothing is gained or lost.

Once the caps open and the spores drop the mushroom serves no more purpose to the organism except consuming more nutrients unnecessarily.  Dont be afraid to pick at this point.  Picking them for research is also considered fine but picking a whole patch thats close together instead of cutting them at the base of their stems is considered poor form as you could be ripping up large amounts of the actual organism. It will of course be just fine but there's no need. I always have one knife thats only for known edibles. The other is for everything else.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 9:40am

Tiny puffballs in my lemon tree pot.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 6:03pm

Although your mostly corect in regards to the mushroom being an “apple of sorts” there are other considerations. Mushrooms and fungi may be problematic in certain situations. Moving them can be potentially bad for the ecosystem.
Most of the time it’s fine but theses are some considerations.

Also not picking the mushrooms means there’s can potentially enjoy their beauty.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 8:47pm

Just so long as we dont enjoy them too much?? Lol check this out. I give him credit for an interesting idea at least.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/magic-mushroom-injection-ca...

Im actually surprised it started growing. I wouldve thought boiling it would kill the spores.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 5:20am

A picture of the most uninspiring fungus ever  Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2021 at 1:08pm by Rat Man »  

Mushroom.jpg (417 KB | 29 )
Mushroom.jpg

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 5:24am

And guys, I'm so sorry, I have failed the initiation test. Despite all efforts I have not learnt the dark art of resizing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)