Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Diagonal Angle Pitch is the Best? (Read 4469 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Diagonal Angle Pitch is the Best?
Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:19pm

Lately I’ve been wondering if this is possibly the best angle for the pitch on a throw. It’s more powerful and biomechanically sound than a true vertical pitch and it doesn’t have the draw backs of a true side arm in horizontal aiming.

One reason I’ve usually been reluctant to use it is because the angle can change more easily than a true side arm or vertical pitch which can affect consistency. But then Jaegoor and others seem to do just fine with it.

I’ve usually used as close to a vertical pitch in both my Apache and Fig-8. Yet I also love the side arm two spin so not sure if I really have reason to change but I guess I’m just bored. What do you think?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Diagonal Angle Pitch is the Best?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 11:25am

I've found this too. Works surprisingly well with a staff sling.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 1:54pm

In kenjutsu it is called kesa giri.  Angled cut.  It's optimal because my hip is well behind the shot.  My stomach works, I work physically.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 2:38pm

Very interesting. Hmm. Gives me a lot to think about.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 2:21pm

There are a couple of Greek diagonal throws in this https://youtu.be/DHHeQQfFt94

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 2:46pm

I had to go pull up a video to see what I do.  It's not something I pay much attention to.  From the video I did in slo-mo for testing paracord with and without core strands, it looks like my throw is pretty much in the horizontal plane.

Although I sometimes change the position of my rotor.  Sometimes at the side, other times almost directly overhead in a helicopter style.  The next time I'm out just playing around I might do some recording and see if the rotor position affects the release angle.  I would imagine it would, at least a little bit.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2021 at 6:48pm

I've explained it before.  The rotor has a crucial function.  It's simple geometry.  Face your target and shoot sidehand.  Then your sling makes a semicircle.  180 ° within this semicircle you have to find the point to solve.  Varying the height is difficult.  If you shoot overhand, your angle is only 90 °.  So only half.  Within this 90 ° you vary the height with the position of your rotor.  If your rotor is facing forward and tilted downwards, you will shoot very briefly at an acute angle.  Turn your rotor horizontally over your head and the shot will fly at head height.  The further back you move your rotor and you will throw great distances.  With a position of 45 ° you will achieve maximum distances.  Set your rotor even steeper, then you will reach a greater height.  It is not unimportant.  If a projectile falls from 200m, it will have maximum impact.  You can also undermine their shot.  The projectile flies forward, but turns backwards.  That leads to an interesting effect.  If the energy is applied forward, the projectile will fall almost vertically.  Some remaining ballistic will remain, but the fall will be almost vertical.  This is devastating in a battle.  But you have to train it.  I tried to film that.  I do not succeed.  You no longer see the projectile with a camera.  Something you should try too.  Shoot an hourglass.  You will learn to shoot exactly horizontally.  It's a very difficult shot.  You need absolute control over your handspin.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2021 at 2:22am by Jaegoor »  

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 3:34am

With Greek style you can vary the height like wise by the position of your left hand (if you are a righthanded slinger). Your left hand is holding the pouch and stone in front of you. If your hold is forward you shoot at head height. If your hand is facing  downward you can shoot at an acute angle downwards. If your hand is facing upward you can shoot upwards.

A benefit of Greek style is the lack of multiple rotations so can throw heavier stones with light slings accurately, stones which would give a problem if you used a rotor with them and said light sling. And light slings are efficient.

I still use rotor styles, but usually only with medium to heavy slings. A nice feel of the rotor is the fluidity, maybe it adds some power, I am not sure.

I agree with Jaegoor that when there is too much force in the arm it reduces accuracy a lot, for me it is better to have a smooth throw with a 200g stone for accuracy.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2021 at 7:00am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 4:29am

Sorry ich halte es für Quatsch. Aber wie sie wollen.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 4:58am

Try it out. The higher you hold the stone in your left hand, the higher you can shoot. Vice versa. No rotor required for it. Height variation with Greek style works very gut.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 5:09am

I don't have to try that anymore.  I don't think it's a style either.  There are only three styles.  Everything else is just a sequence, an excerpt.  There are also reasons why a rotor rotates.  But do as you think.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 5:13am

There are other reasons to use a multiple rotor style, ja.

But height variation is not something that is only possible with multiple rotations or a heli-rotor. This is quatsch.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 6:26am

Shoot an hourglass in Greek.  Then we talk again about nonsense.  What they call the Greek style is just a sequence.  And sorry to say that.  Even if your rotor isn't turning.  You also ask him as described by me.  You can sing whatever you want from me.  As far as I am concerned, they jump backwards and yodel.  😁 I added my mustard.  They don't have to like it.  I don't like their sauce either.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 6:51am

In your hour glass video you shot sidearm, not a diagonal pitch that is described in this thread. So why bring that up even. There is also no reason such a feat can't be performed with Greek sidearm, granted the user is trained with it.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 7:27am

I wrote that why in a previous post.  You're a good Greek-style shooter.  Try it.  It's about angle cautious.  So I'm fully on the subject.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)