Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Egyptian sling in paracord, soft-loom method, for tennis balls (Read 6425 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Egyptian sling in paracord, soft-loom method, for tennis balls
Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:04pm

Here is an Egyptian style sling in paracord for tennis balls, using a new (to me) soft-loom method. This method probably has a proper name and a long history but I dont know it. I developed it from my earlier paracord sling tutorial here: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1340105523

This method takes a lot of time but is otherwise quite easy. There are no tools required apart from the usual scissors and a lighter. I do use a large eyed blunt darning needle at the end, but even this isnt an absolute necessity. There is a thing you can get called a paracord needle, I dont have one but it would probably be helpful here too.

First, set up the soft loom. The sides of the loom are 80 cm long, folded and reverse-twisted then tied off. Keep them about 20cm apart, this is what all the other dimensions are based off.

The warps are 4 metres each, these turn into the sling cords later. There will be some excess to cut off.  Zig-zag the first one through the twisted sides of the soft loom so you get 15 warps. Adjust the excess at each end to be roughly equal, you dont want to end up with not enough to complete the cords!

Next run the second warp though the same gaps in the opposite direction. Take time to get the tensions right now, it will make everything else much easier.

« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2021 at 8:38pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Egyptian sling in paracord, soft-loom method, for tennis balls
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:14pm

Now the soft-loom is set up, we can start weaving. For weft I used I used 4 metres of gutted paracord (center strings removed, only the outer sheath remains) but this was only just enough, I would suggest you go up to 5 metres.

I put the center of the  weft under the center warp pair and went out to each end of the loom and back to the center plus one. I continued weaving both sides from the center outwards in the familiar expanding pattern. This helps to keep the tension equal on both side of the pouch.

It is very important to keep the tension equal on both sides otherwise the finished pouch will be lopsided. There is some adjustability at the end which you will see me use, but it is better to get it right first time.

Your first few weaves will look terrible, but once you have laid down a few rows everything falls into line and becomes much neater. Dont rush this! Take your time, make it neat. It is easy, but it isnt quick.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:22pm

Now it is time to form the pouch. The first central row is there to hide the seam. Without this, the places where the row ends meet have little triangular gaps up the centerline of the pouch which is kinda ugly.

Check the length of both sides, they need to be equal. You can see on mine I didnt get that quite right, it shows in the photo but I didnt see it at the time. I recommend taking a break at this point and coming back to it with fresh eyes. This is make-or-break stuff so get it right.

Once the pouch is formed you can take the sides of the soft loom off. The ends of the warps can be pulled tight to the sides of the pouch, working in sequence from the center to each end.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:25pm

Thumbs Up
I like it!
Reuse the soft loom as retention and release cord?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:27pm

This looks ugly. Its fatter at one end than the other, and slightly lopsided too. Both of these can be fixed.

Another round of warp tightening took care of the fat end. The lopsided bulging side was fixed by tightening the outer wefts on that side. This is why the final outer row was only partial on each side, it makes final adjustment easier. A last bit of warp tightening took in the slack left by the removed bulge.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:33pm

Now bury the ends of the weft by passing then under the weave across and back, as in the picture below.

A darning needle (large eye, blunt tip) makes this much easier. Also, cut off the melted end if you did that, it will get snagged on the weave as it gets pulled under if you dont. Pull it a bit tight, trim off flush, and then the trimmed end pulls back under the weave and vanishes.

The last job is to reverse-twist the cords and add the loop, you can see how I did that by passing the end back though the twist in a S-shape and then tying it off so it cant pull back though.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2021 at 7:18am by David Morningstar »  

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:36pm

The end result. It takes a lot of time and a lot of paracord and it weights a lot for a light ball. Objectively, it probably isnt the best tennis ball sling design out there. What it does do is look amazing and impress the heck out of people.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:38pm

Wow...more and more you tempt me to finally make one. It looks great too.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:59pm

You never cease to amaze.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 2:10pm

It is not necessary to weave in half Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 1:52am

Very impressive.  Looks good

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 4:51am

That’s a great sling, one I’d love to try

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 11:11am

Very nice indeed. I've got my loom setup to make a linen version of this but I have a couple other slings to do first!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 1:24pm

What a good idea David! That is great!

It looks like the weaving bug is has dug in deep...

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:57pm

Looks awesome!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15)