Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simple fabric pouch sling (Read 2136 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Simple fabric pouch sling
Feb 15th, 2021 at 6:59am

I was looking for a simple denim pouch sling. Something that you can make without stitching, eyelets or takes long to make.
I came up with this quick and simple design, inspired by the Chumash sling.
I find this way of tying the cords to the pouch produces a very secure and good spread of the load, doesn't seem like its likely to tear off very quickly, considering the many layers of folded fabric used and the way the cords are attached.

tutorial.png (3822 KB | 52 )
tutorial.png

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Simple denim pouch sling
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 7:02am

edit: double overhand knot should be the simple overhand loop knot, seems that a double overhand is a different knot

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Simple fabric pouch sling
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 9:47am

I would call that a double overhand knot, or maybe a double overhand noose.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 3:00pm

Fast and simple to make and functional.  Why not?  Good job.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 5:31am

It is a common man sling that should cost nothing, a survival sling pouch, that can be made from some of the most readily available fabric everywhere in the world, in the dumps. I made the design a little better by making the piece of fabric a little wider, and folding the top and bottom inward one time as well. Now there is not a single frayed side exposed to the outside of the pouch, except the two holes.
I haven't found any other way to make a more durable sling pouch as quick and as easy from cotton fabric compared to this method. You could use shoelaces for the cords.

So far it is holding up strong. I love this method of tying down a pouch, because the load is distributed not exclusively on the two holes, but on the complete ends of the fabric. It can also be used on thin leather, like the Chumash originally did. It means I am not required to use metal eyelets to get reasonable durability from thin leather or thin fabric. Cotton fabric is so easily accessible everywhere. Leather is harder to come by than cotton fabric in my experience. The release is clean when I use the non cupped side of the pouch. It acts like a very finely woven solid pouch, because thats what it is, more finely woven than we could do by hands. The width of the pouch is easily adjusted to fit varying sizes of projectiles.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 11:53am

So if that doesnt cup i bet it would release very cleanly. Thats awesome man

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 12:36pm

I like it. Very simple to make and requires minimal materials.

You could get it added to tutorials thread maybe? It seems a pretty novel way of making a solid pouch sling.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 1:46am

https://youtu.be/MR_e0YL56xU

This is a pretty good solution as well. Posted fairly recently.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 11:31pm

Nice tutorial J. We should definitely put it with the other tutorials.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 8:32pm

Love it  Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 11:01am

I see this as Jaukes greatest strength here on the forum. Thinking up and making weird designs that are actually really fascinating. I see a lot of designs made that I like but never use. Shoot I love the Egyptian and have still not made one. This design though is something Ive looked for for years. A very strong solid pouch that can be made in seconds that looks great and judging by it probably works great too.

Thanks man.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 12:08pm

Thanks. Last week I proved to myself you can hunt with it. In fact the last few weeks I've only used these slings, and slings of the same design but with thin couch leather. All my recent slings are all below 20 grams. The only style I still use is Greek sidearm/overhand hybrid.

I've tried many hunting styles and I think it is by far the best for my situation. Using multiple rotations I have absolutely no use for when hunting. And I can use a far greater range of ammo weights with this style without having the cordsi twist. This week I learned a lot of real life sling hunting. Around 150 grams for the stones and clay seems to be the ideal for me. I moved away from the sub 100 g stones.

The denim pouches are holding up better than I expected.  None of them seem to have gotten any worse, yet it's still expendible.

its not primitive, its not traditional, but it just makes sense and I bet if ancient man had this material in this great abundance they probably would have used it for slings.

The denim pouches do have a tendency to cup if you don't place the stone correctly. But as long as the sides of the pouch do not stick out beyond the stone, so the stone is not surrounded by the pouch, I haven't run into real issues.

geese.png (571 KB | 35 )
geese.png

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 2:52pm

Awesome image there J.  Beautiful action shot with the birds in the sky. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 12:31pm

standard butterfly pouch with my loop attachment method works really well.
because the cord grips the sides of the pouch, very little strain is put on the holes.
So even works well with single ply denim.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)