Send Topic Print
Two-handed slinging (Read 2339 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Two-handed slinging
Feb 9th, 2021 at 10:23pm

I did some playing around with two-handed slinging.  Some interesting results.  Be prepared, this one went pretty long.

https://youtu.be/XpVQCLzfCKI

This was the idea brought up on this topic: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1611233067

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Two-handed slinging
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:24pm

Joe, this is good stuff. I feel like it is some experimental archeology.

When you were just holding it normally and using 2 hands, you were starting to get the timing down and getting some power! You just need to start adding some fast full-body rotations and, 80m here Joe comes!!!

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 3:19am

nice video!
you didnt try the hammer throwing technique. It puts very low stress on the elbows and shoulders it's all on the back and legs so you can put even heavier stuff on the pouch. There will be no tangling of the pouch because it doesnt turn. The downsides are that the technique is more difficult and a good terrain is needed, I tried on sand and it makes things difficult, sturdy dry ground is the best.
a good film about the technique https://youtu.be/DY9XDPa4JMI

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 3:53am

Nice!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 5:30am

Ya seems like hammer throw/pirouette might be an interesting style to try.

Any idea how how heavy the ice is? I was trying to guesstimate based on how big half a gallon is. Maybe close too 3-4 pounds?

So it seems like you increased your power pretty well through out the video. With very little practice. This might be one for us to try as a group. I bet with a little tinkering we could figure out how to begin to maximize the power.

I would love to see what a longer sling could do. Something in the range of 60-70 inches.
If that was stone I have no doubt that would ruin your day. Hell, ice even for that matter. A little faster and it’s pretty much a sure kill. Throw it from a rampart and increase the speed dramatically from gravity and yeah should be pretty deadly in the right hands.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 6:06am

Very good job, Joe !
I just want to clarify something. Beware of modern approaches. We always seek to maximise. The range, the weight, etc...
This throw will not throw big stones very far. And is it really necessary to throw huge stones with short range ?
Testing is absolutely necessary to understand but keep in mind :
1) the actual conditions of the war during the middle-age.
2) our modern desire to always beat records.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 10:10am

I think a pirouette would have the most power but it takes some time to nail down.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 12:39pm

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I completely agree that a hammer throw or pirouette would be more powerful.  I've done some experimenting with pirouette (https://youtu.be/as5HMS_w5qA).  My accuracy is pretty terrible with it.  Honestly it never came to mind when I was doing this testing.  I'll give a whirl (pun intended) the next time I'm working with this some more.  We just got a bunch of snow, so it might be little while.

Morphy wrote on Feb 10th, 2021 at 5:30am:
Any idea how how heavy the ice is?

You're right on target.  There was some variation but they were between 3.75 and 4 lb.

And on your other point about adjusting sling length, etc., I definitely agree.  I think there is a lot more experimentation to do with a two-handed throw.  I'd love to see what others can do with this.

@TOMBELAINE - I'm not sure I agree that maximizing range, weight, etc. is a (strictly) modern approach.  It seems logical to me that since the initial use of any projectile weapon, it would have been recognized that there's an advantage to being able to hit the target with more force from farther away, while maintaining the needed accuracy.

On short vs. long range, can be more specific on what would qualify as long range?  I agreed that throwing such a heavy projectile does limit the range.  But I would be comfortable saying I was getting close to 25 m in the air with a sling and projectiles that were far from being efficiently tuned.  And that was with only an hour or so practice.  With a round projectile, a sling created to hold and release it well, and a refined technique, I don't see why this couldn't easily reach double that.

The drawing that brought this whole thing up shows armoured knights on horseback in front of the slinger.  I think large projectiles could be used to counter an oncoming charge once it was within range.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 4:14pm

Good video, Joe.  If we don't experiment we never know.  More than anything though I think your video demonstrates why we have staff slings.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 2:52am

Yes, Joe. I'm agree with you.
Your experimentation is necessary and useful. Distance, weight and accuracy are good datas.
Now, I ask myself these following questions :
"If a knight in armour take a 500 grammes paver on the helmet, will be four times less hurt than if he take a 2 kilos paver ?"
"At 20/50 meters, can I miss a group of heavily armed riders, or a company of a hundred foot soldiers ?"
Now I repeat, your work is fundamental to know all the possibilities of the sling. That will need to be analyzed in context.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 2:33pm

Rat Man wrote on Feb 10th, 2021 at 4:14pm:
I think your video demonstrates why we have staff slings

That could be interesting.  I wonder what a breakdown of comparisons would look like between a staff sling and a large sling intended for two-handed use.  Max distance, release velocity, max projectile weight, etc.

@TOMBELAINE - Your questions are definitely things to consider.  With a sling this large and the technique used, I think very precise accuracy is lost.  I think a two-handed technique with large projectiles would be most effective in a volley, similar to arrows.

IP Logged

Martin_Greywolf
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Slovakia
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 3:46pm

"I am shocked how much that helps." Frankly, me too. This is the sort of thing I hoped to see when I published the original articles, we can now say for certain that our picture is actually practical and not an artist exaggeration, especially since these chunks of ice are probably worse projectiles than actual rocks.

Accuracy seems to be... pretty good, actually, you don't really need anything better at the range you can send these out to, and these are clearly not precision weapons.

Effect on target, well, if you have the full armor ensemble, gambeson, chain mail, plate and another gambeson on top and heavy bascinet... it may not kill you, if you are lucky, but it will definitely break something - which, in the context of a fight, is just as good since you're out for the duration. And if you happen to not be rich enough to have the best armor, you'll have better luck dodging - which actually seems kinda possible if you are on foot, not on horse. I can't think of any way to test that, though, at least not any that doesn't involve copious amounts of alcohol and attempted murder charges.

@joe_meadmaker I don't suppose you have a way of measuring the speed of these? It would be interesting to plug that into some of the terminal ballistics and car crash test models, if only to see their limitations. From the video, it looks like 2-3 seconds of hang time per 23 paces, so probably less than 7-12 m/s. Assuming an even 10 and weight of 1.8 kg, it gives us a frightening momentum of 18 000 g.m/s, about twice that of a rifle, with a kinetic energy of not-so-impressive 90 J, about 40 times less than that of a rifle, but surprisingly close to a 160 lbs warbow (120 J).

For an idea on how those numbers look, the energy is so small it is equal to lifting 9 kg (18 lbs) one meter/yard. The momentum, on the other hand, is enough to propel the head of an adult (one tenth of total weight of 70 kg/140 lbs, a helmet roughly doubles that, but never mind that now) at almost 10 kmh/6 mph in an ideal collision.

It's also the only weapon short of a catapult that could maybe literally knock someone off a horse - not straight backwards, not in a medieval charging saddle, but deliver enough shock to make someone sort of slide off to the side, especially if the horse is running towards the shooter.

Melee hit looked about comparable to a halberd or a pollaxe (clocking in at ~2.5 kilos/5 pounds) - something that will definitely not kill you in heavy plate but absolutely will in anything short of that.

I think we can safely conclude the following:

1) The two handed style is a practical thing for slinging heavy rocks, not a figment of author's imagination

2) The hands apart method doesn't work that well and is either an artefact of the image, or a product of the image being of a slinger just after loading a projectile and before starting to actually sling it

3) The image in question probably shows a cavalry right after it flanked or busted through a position, because the rate of fire on these is far too slow to let them be anywhere in front and expect them to defeat a charge on their own - you will maybe get two shots against horses and three against infantry, probably only 1 and 2, respectively

4) The myth that it is a bad idea to get hit with one of these has been confirmed

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 5:19pm

Thanks Martin!

Martin_Greywolf wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 3:46pm:
Accuracy seems to be... pretty good, actually, you don't really need anything better at the range you can send these out to, and these are clearly not precision weapons.

I agree.  Especially if throwing into a group.  But something else to keep in mind, I only had one hour with this technique as I recorded the video.  I have no doubt that a better projectile, refined sling design, and more practice would result in a fairly large increase of distance, rate of fire, and target precision.

Martin_Greywolf wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 3:46pm:
I don't suppose you have a way of measuring the speed of these?

Possibly.  I think a better measurement would come from a throw similar to the last one, which was a shorter distance at a target.  Because of the straighter trajectory, we should be able to use the distance and time to get a close estimate.  I've still got a bunch of snow on the ground, so I can't do it now.  But as soon as things clear up, I'll do some more throwing at my target.  I can then provide the exact distance, and a pretty accurate time based on the frame count.  I need to get out and do this again anyway.  I have another throwing method idea.  So once the snow melts, there may be a part 2 coming.

I was just hoping to see if a two handed method was plausible.  And I'm comfortable saying yes, it is.  As to whether this was actually used, or how often, who know?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 5:29pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Feb 12th, 2021 at 5:19pm:
As to whether this was actually used, or how often, who know?

With the mechanical advantage of putting your entire body into the throw and how much extra energy you can put into a projectile that can cause some serious damage...I can't imagine that this wouldn't have been used (read: this MUST have been used) At least in something like defending a siege, or a similar event.

John R.

IP Logged

Martin_Greywolf
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Slovakia
Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 8:46am

I mean, at this point we have:

1) Illumination showing us the technique in use

2) Joe's video showing us the technique in use

3) Joe telling us the technique does help

With all of this evidence at hand, I don't think anyone can argue that this wasn't something that was done at least occassionally.

How often it was used, on the other hand, is definitely something that can be argued about. I lean towards "only rarely", because staff slings and traction trebuchets were a thing - you probably won't resort to this unless you lack time, skill or materials to make those.

Here's a traction treb in use: https://manuscriptminiatures.com/4673/8007

No, wait, that's the wrong use: https://manuscriptminiatures.com/3971/10541 https://manuscriptminiatures.com/5565/19835

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)