Send Topic Print
Limits of Accuracy (Read 935 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Limits of Accuracy
Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:19am

In case you are wondering how accurate can humans get...  Shocked
https://youtu.be/aosxdmhXQ-Q
he performed the trickshot more than once, he jumps and moves the bow before shooting.

moral of the story : practice , maybe this Quote:
Among Benjamin's elite troops, 700 were left-handed, and each of them could sling a rock and hit a target within a hairsbreadth without missing.
is not just a bluff.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Limits of Accuracy
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:43am

Lars is very talented and has amazing skill, but I'm a bigger fan of Byron Ferguson.  His shooting seems to be less "for show" than Lars.

https://youtu.be/tbOgwxsVExk

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 12:08pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:43am:
Lars is very talented and has amazing skill, but I'm a bigger fan of Byron Ferguson.  His shooting seems to be less "for show" than Lars.

https://youtu.be/tbOgwxsVExk

Thanks for the link.
I used that video by lars because he is jumping and moving the bow which is closer to slinging than a more static shot or a shot with aiming down the arrow instinctively or not.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 12:08pm

I like Lars for his obvious passion and his insane skill. Byron I would agree is better but Howard Hill is my favorite. The things that guy did with a wooden longbow would make most compound shooters jealous.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 12:17pm

Their abilities cannot but amaze the imagination, show that there is no limit to accuracy! Seriously in a blindfold jump to hit the door lock? Looks impossibly difficult

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 2:05pm

Oh you know what I totally forgot my main point. At one point Lars did claim that his way of shooting was the way ancient archers shot so fast. The problem being that his bow cant be much more than 35-45 pounds which wouldve never been used in war when talking about the archery cultures he is referencing.

No human being and I repeat no one could shoot that fast with accuracy over a period of time with even the lowest range of warbows. So if hes still making that claim it's totally unfounded. Still I enjoy most of his videos and there is definitely a place for what he does.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 4:09pm

I once met a young woman from Vladivostok.  She also shot her bow very quickly.  My father knew this method too.  He called her wrong hand.  I manage to shoot my 65lbs arc with this method.  But it's inconvenient.  The lady from Vladivostok only shoots 16 lbs.  What Lars shows is impressive.  Its historical references are also interesting.  But he neither shoots historical arrows nor a historical bow.  Howard Hill was a millennium talent.  When he went to Africa to show that he could kill elephants, he was through for me.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 6:01pm

I really like James jean for archery trick shots
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxx4zIvvqh4

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 6:33pm

Mersa wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 6:01pm:
I really like James jean for archery trick shots
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxx4zIvvqh4

Dude shot a drop of water out of the air.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 10:31pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 2:05pm:
The problem being that his bow cant be much more than 35-45 pounds

Most estimates I've seen for his bows put them at 15 - 20 lb.  Admittedly this is just someone's guess.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:06pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 10:31pm:
Morphy wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 2:05pm:
The problem being that his bow cant be much more than 35-45 pounds

Most estimates I've seen for his bows put them at 15 - 20 lb.  Admittedly this is just someone's guess.

I would agree with that assessment. Even a 30 pound bow would make it much slower I would think.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 5:02am

James jean shoots a 45# bow for all his trick shots I’m fairly sure

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 7:42am

Jaegoor wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 4:09pm:
I once met a young woman from Vladivostok.  She also shot her bow very quickly.  My father knew this method too.  He called her wrong hand.  I manage to shoot my 65lbs arc with this method.  But it's inconvenient.  The lady from Vladivostok only shoots 16 lbs.  What Lars shows is impressive.  Its historical references are also interesting.  But he neither shoots historical arrows nor a historical bow.  Howard Hill was a millennium talent.  When he went to Africa to show that he could kill elephants, he was through for me.

Although I don't agree with people killing elephants for sport I can understand where they are coming from due to the environment or moral norms of the day.

From a pure talent point of view I would give anything to see that guy shoot in person. The fact that he was actually shooting arrows at actors chests during scenes from Robin Hood is pretty crazy. I mean the show must go on but that is a whole different level. No safe spaces back then.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)