Send Topic Print
Unexpected skills (Read 1740 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Unexpected skills
Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 7:45pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 9:43am:
The hardest thing Ive found about the whole thing is swallowing your own pride and never revealing this stuff to anyone. Or else then you lose much of your advantage.

True. It's the "YES, they're underestimating me, that could be a vital advantage... dammit I'm tired people thinking I'm incapable"

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 8:06pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 7:45pm:
Morphy wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 9:43am:
The hardest thing Ive found about the whole thing is swallowing your own pride and never revealing this stuff to anyone. Or else then you lose much of your advantage.

True. It's the "YES, they're underestimating me, that could be a vital advantage... dammit I'm tired people thinking I'm incapable"

A very fine line actually. Im not a stupid person PS. No where near your level but im not dumb. Its a balancing act between being me and being the person they need to see. But its fun.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 9:37am

It is a balancing act for sure.  Whether you're using it to opt out of politics, avoid hustling, avoid stupid fights, I think it always chafes a bit. There's a reason we have Ulysses yelling at the Cyclops "Ulysses did this to you!" when he otherwise would have gotten away clean. The voice of ego is strong.

Looking at it as "what this person needs to see" is a good way of thinking of it.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #18 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 8:58pm

My grandchildren have no problem lowering themselves to my level  🦄

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)