Send Topic Print
Is it Really Safe? (Read 1013 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Is it Really Safe?
Feb 4th, 2021 at 12:38am

A lot of people are having their groceries and such delivered "contact free" by a so called shopper.  I guess it makes them feel safer than going to the store and maybe they're right. 
    This is probably just how my sick mind works but how do you know that your shopper isn't an arsehole who blows snot and wipes his butt on your packages?  You don't. So  maybe it's safer but then again.....

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Is it Really Safe?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 1:19am

My grocery stores in town. They only have shoppers. But u have to come into the store to a register to pick your order up, and pay for it. No opportunity to wipe snot. I used to work at one. Lots ogf caneras. But there was a reason i was matience lol

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 10:01am

The world runs on trust RM. when you trust people to not do terrible things, that means there’s a small chance you’ll get burned, but the alternative is to treat the other 999 normal people like they’re all sociopaths too.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 10:33am

Well, it has to better for you than going to the store.  You only get exposed to one person.  And if enough people use the service, then the number of people in the store go way down so there's much less transmission.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 2:15am

Oxnate wrote on Feb 4th, 2021 at 10:33am:
Well, it has to better for you than going to the store.  You only get exposed to one person.  And if enough people use the service, then the number of people in the store go way down so there's much less transmission.

Yep, I agree. The other thing is you can probably disinfect most of the packaging on the groceries if you want to be super careful. And soap and water on produce shouldn't hurt the produce.  I don't think the disinfecting is necessary, but it wouldn't hurt if you're worried.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 10:08am

Neither is all that safe. You have no idea what the driver might have and its not only covid they might give you. And in their car their is virtually no accountability. I can go to the store with an N95 at slow times and virtually never be within six feet of someone else. Also dont have to worry about someone coughing in a small enclosed space with my food 2 feet from them.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 10:13pm

IronGoober wrote on Feb 5th, 2021 at 2:15am:
Oxnate wrote on Feb 4th, 2021 at 10:33am:

Yep, I agree. The other thing is you can probably disinfect most of the packaging on the groceries if you want to be super careful. And soap and water on produce shouldn't hurt the produce.  I don't think the disinfecting is necessary, but it wouldn't hurt if you're worried.

All of our produce is treated with insecticides that aren't water soluble so they don't wash off when it rains.  Consequently, just rinsing your fruits and veggies off with water when you get home doesn't do squat.  You're eating bug spray.  Some of the insecticides used will react to acids and others to bases. Since learning this in the 80s I've washed my veggies and fruits in a solution of a little dish soap, vinegar, and luke warm water.  So I'm already doing the disinfecting thing.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 1:18am

I think it's much safer just based on less people being gathered in one place.
I wonder though, how much the quality of fresh food would vary from order to order since it's all random and not personally selected.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:07am

Tomas wrote on Feb 6th, 2021 at 1:18am:
I wonder though, how much the quality of fresh food would vary from order to order since it's all random and not personally selected.

This is my problem with having my produce delivered. I'm sure I'd get at least some stuff I'd normally reject and leave on the shelf. But if things get worse who knows?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar)