Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll closed Poll
Question: Vote for the most unique idea with the most potential.
*** This poll has now closed ***

Sling #1    
  3 (21.4%)
Sling #2    
  3 (21.4%)
Sling #3    
  3 (21.4%)
Sling #4    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #5    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #6    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #7    
  2 (14.3%)
Sling #8    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #9    
  2 (14.3%)
Sling #10    
  1 (7.1%)

Total votes: 14
« Last Modified by: Morphy on: Mar 14th, 2021 at 12:23pm »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Abstract Sling Designs 2021 (Read 13067 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Abstract Sling Designs
Reply #150 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 7:35pm

Nice idea and execution Zud!  As others have mentioned, I also hope there's a video of that thing in action on the horizon.

One another note, what's the thought on the poll?  Should a new poll be created with just the highest scoring ideas, and we vote again?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #151 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 7:44pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Mar 20th, 2021 at 7:35pm:
Nice idea and execution Zud!  As others have mentioned, I also hope there's a video of that thing in action on the horizon.

One another note, what's the thought on the poll?  Should a new poll be created with just the highest scoring ideas, and we vote again?

Yes. So the timeline I guess was to get the entries in but now that we have a 4 way tie (mersa meant to choose #9 instead of #10). It seems we need to have another poll. This time it will be blind and only go on for a few days.

Thanks to everyone who took part!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #152 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 10:59am

Another abstract sling with the same goal of handling light/rough ammo and large smooth ammo. It's a sort of modifiable paracord apache sling. Basically it has 4 strands and the outer ones are connected with a leather pouch with the inner ones freely floating. When the pouch is opened these float outwards from the pouch but when it is closed on a projectile they come in line. You can either push them to the sides to make a traditional type apache set up or put them in the middle to form a more supported flat pouch.

I've played around with a few projectiles in the pouch and it does have really good retention in both modes. The intention is that using the flat supported mode will give a cleaner release and more stability on poor/uneven ammo whilst the traditional setup will give a bit more grip and adaptability on smoother/heavier ammo. Unsure whether there will be any difference in practice but either way it could be a decent design for a lightweight easy to make apache.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #153 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 11:15am

Now that is what I call innovation! Great job!

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #154 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 1:20pm

That's awesome! Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #155 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 1:25pm

Very nice as always JudoP. I look forward to seeing what you come up with in 2022’s contest of Sling Genius Champions.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #156 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 11:25pm

Love the concept.
Well done Judo!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #157 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 6:58am

Did some throwing with it yesterday and it does indeed work pretty well, I was mainly using the multi-strand supported mode with bad ammo which it handled nicely. I do wonder if perhaps the mid cords coming out of contact with the pouch once it starts opening defeats the purpose of them though.
Either way I will need a lot more shooting with different ammo types to determine the performance of each mode and whether it outperforms my current favourite paracord based slings (aussie pouch, seatbelt and peruvian style with paracord attachment). It seems pretty up there though the latter two in that list have the advantage of being water/weatherproof (a great advantage in the UK!) and the peruvian having easily replaceable cords which has been handy before.

IP Logged

MrYoda
Novicius

make rock go far!

Florida, USA
Re: Abstract Sling Designs 2021
Reply #158 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 3:37pm

SerKraus wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 3:37pm:
How about a one-piece rubber sling? A stiff rubber that won't stretch. Cast in a mold and mass produced. I wonder how that would perform. What pouch would be most optimal? I doubt a rubber pouch would hold up to rocks. Just spitballing.

I had the idea before of 3d printing a rubber sling. My 3d printer is much too small, but you can get a flexible material to print with, and it should work the same as what you suggested. Also, a new printer I saw come out has a conveyor belt as a print surface, so it can make something infinitely long, perfect for making any length of sling you like.

what does sling do? it make rock go far!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)