Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll closed Poll
Question: Vote for the most unique idea with the most potential.
*** This poll has now closed ***

Sling #1    
  3 (21.4%)
Sling #2    
  3 (21.4%)
Sling #3    
  3 (21.4%)
Sling #4    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #5    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #6    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #7    
  2 (14.3%)
Sling #8    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #9    
  2 (14.3%)
Sling #10    
  1 (7.1%)

Total votes: 14
« Last Modified by: Morphy on: Mar 14th, 2021 at 12:23pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Abstract Sling Designs 2021 (Read 13228 times)
MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Re: Abstract Sling Designs
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:19am

I was thinking of a chain mail sling. I got the idea from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWOQHXFf3Hg
At 3:40 he pulls out a chain mail whip and it looks flexible enough to use as sling material.

It would never break but it would be hard to store. Also you'd have to be careful not to get hit by it after you release the stone. Maybe not the best idea but I found it interesting.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:27am

Rat Man wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:25pm:
   It's late now but I'll post a picture of one of the side by sides tomorrow. Probably.

You really should my friend. Lead the way. We need actual "made" designs. This thread is to promote taking design elements and producing an actual sling to test it. Theories are great of course but ideally people would want to post an actual design they made to show it has potential (or doesn't).

Doesn't matter if it doesn't work like one thought. So long as effort is made to take something from an idea to a finished product. Fails only show us what we need not worry about. In that way they are just as important as successes.

Hope people will take this to heart and give it a try. A little effort can produce unexpected outcomes.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:29am

MirkoSling wrote on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:19am:

At 3:40 he pulls out a chain mail whip and it looks flexible enough to use as sling material.

It would never break but it would be hard to store. Also you'd have to be careful not to get hit by it after you release the stone. Maybe not the best idea but I found it interesting.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to have it swirl around me after each shot. I'd probably use Greek or some other style that won't strike me as often as one like sidearm.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:29am

MirkoSling wrote on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:19am:

Honestly sounds exactly like something Kick would make lol. On top of that if they closed in on you getting hit by a sling made of chainmail would hurt a lot more than jute.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:55am

Here's a new design I'm looking at, not sure if it's abstract exactly, but it's different  Cheesy

The inspiration is partly from Joe Meadmakers signature slings and from a discussion me and Albion slinger were having about a possible 3-split apache sling.

The goal is to make a paracord sling which can handle larger ammo better whilst still being quite efficient for small ammo.

The sling pictured needs a little adjustment before I present the finished article. At present the pouch is totally flat, which doesn't work very well as projectiles sort of sit on the middle cord and flop to one side or other of the pouch. This is easily remedied by using a wider leather cross to bind the cords which will add some element of cupping.

I think it has decent potential, even though it doesn't hold ammo properly at present it is actually quite a safe pouch from some initial testing. Also, if it doesn't work out I can simply cover the cords apache style which I'm sure will.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 10:05am

Judo figures you would be the one to get us going here. Thanks man. I do appreciate that.

And see this is what I'm talking about. I've thought many times how I don't like bigger pouches with normal ammo because it seems like too much wind resistance leads to losing excessive efficiency. Never once even considered this type of design. I hope you can get any bugs worked out. But for the purpose of this thread beta test slings are just fine.

Ok I'm going to set a poll and let this thread marinate for awhile. I really hope we get more real world designs made as opposed to theories which for better or worse we are already pretty good at lol. There's so much more to this thread than people understand and this is a good start.  dancing banana

Judo’s sling entry is #1, the next sling will be #2 and so on.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 10:35am

JudoP wrote on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:55am:
The goal is to make a paracord sling which can handle larger ammo better whilst still being quite efficient for small ammo.

My solution to tackling this problem is simple. A long, flat, strip of belt leather for the pouch, and the paracord strings tied to this strip of leather at its ends in such a fashion that the pouch is secured really tight to the cord (so it cannot hinge).

a strip of belt leather that is about 4 cm wide, and quite long, around 20 cm. I find that this pouch is very suitable for a very wide range of stone weights, but also slightly flattened biconicals (because round biconicals and round spheres have a hard time on a flat strip of belt leather.).

The problem with solid pouches and small ammo arrives when the pouch is too wide and encapsules a rough stone. Now a 4 cm strip of belt leather will hardly ever be too wide, yet it's secure enough in my experience to hold rocks well in the 300 g range.

Sometimes  I add a slit in the middle, some times I don't

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 8:52pm

Here is mine. Got a bunch of my flock feathers. Chickens, guineas, roosters. Might be duck in there. I think it will make the sling faster

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 1:10am

Well as long as they are all from the right wing

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 1:21am

Might be. Not sure. Collected these last year. But the feathers by the release knot are rooster tail feathers. Dont worry we clean em

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 2:52am

Morphy wrote on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:29am:
Honestly sounds exactly like something Kick would make lol.

More than once I've considered making a sling like that Cheesy It might not be entirely necessary for flaming ammo but would be the most aesthetic way of doing it. But yeah the thought of getting hit by it has put me off Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 5:22am

Vet you are sling #2.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #27 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 5:32am

Sounds good, hopefully my design takes off

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 9:05am

vetryan15 wrote on Feb 4th, 2021 at 5:32am:
Sounds good, hopefully my design takes off

If  you flap it up and down, it just might Grin

Great looking sling Vet!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 9:08am

Have you tried slinging with it yet? Can you yell if the feathers make a difference in the release?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris)