Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll closed Poll
Question: Vote for the most unique idea with the most potential.
*** This poll has now closed ***

Sling #1    
  3 (21.4%)
Sling #2    
  3 (21.4%)
Sling #3    
  3 (21.4%)
Sling #4    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #5    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #6    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #7    
  2 (14.3%)
Sling #8    
  0 (0.0%)
Sling #9    
  2 (14.3%)
Sling #10    
  1 (7.1%)

Total votes: 14
« Last Modified by: Morphy on: Mar 14th, 2021 at 12:23pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Abstract Sling Designs 2021 (Read 13204 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Abstract Sling Designs 2021
Feb 2nd, 2021 at 2:25pm

So as I was reading the other thread about the trick to a good sling it occurred to me that we tend to be traditionalists in a lot of ways. And this is good. But the danger of that is not being open to new ideas. Tradition is great but tradition and progress have always been at odds with each other.

So this thread is for anyone who feels like trying something that might otherwise be looked down on so we can have the freedom to truly test and not just theorize.

I’m considering making a feather sling. I would like to try different bird species feathers to see if one has the greatest effect like turkey and goose does in Archery. Anyways, please feel free to post any weird ideas here if you wish.

EDIT: Ok, set up a poll for people to judge on. The criteria we are looking for is the person who thinks most outside the box with a design element and also it should at least have a good chance of accomplishing said design purpose. It goes without saying, theories on this thread don’t count. Theory and working prototype to test it qualifies a person as an entry fee. I will make a list on this top post and update as necessary. Thanks to Oxnate for reminding me to add this. 

ALSO there may or may not but definitely is a grand prize that you WILL want. Figured it was time to let the cat out of the bag to get people on the fence motivated. If you can, please take part! I would love this to be the time we truly start throwing out new designs en masse. There is no end of possibilities. I have at least 3 things I’m super excited about but obviously can’t take part on this particular contest. So go for it! Cheesy

JudoP-     #1 Low wind resistance sling that can throw any ammo.

VetRyan- #2 Feather sling with feathers at various angles to test increased control.

Ratman-  #3  side-by-side shotgun sling for reduced projectile spread and ability to throw slugs (🤣) as well as elk shot.

Joe_MeadMaker- #4 Feather sling with vanes at right angles to pouch to test increased control.

Albion Slinger- #5 Skeletal sling that resist cupping.

NoOneOfConsequence - #6 Tassel sling for stealth reduced energy transfer to the release cord.

Jaegoor- #7 Jointed sling for increased durability- led to understanding of Balearic knee

NoOneOfConsequence- #8 Silicone grips on the sling pouch for friction modification.

Zud- #9 Whip Sling for no wind up/easier aiming.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2021 at 10:16am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Abstract Sling Designs
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 3:37pm

Hmmm... I haven't thought about this that much. Though I have thought about rubber glandes and whether they are safe and aerodynamic. How about a one-piece rubber sling? A stiff rubber that won't stretch. Cast in a mold and mass produced. I wonder how that would perform. What pouch would be most optimal? I doubt a rubber pouch would hold up to rocks. Just spitballing.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 5:31pm

I like the idea of modern slings, with hi tech, but in reality so far a simple sling is the best performing.

I really want to try a few crazy designs but I’ve been lacking my motivation lately

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 6:42pm

Mersa wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 5:31pm:
I like the idea of modern slings, with hi tech, but in reality so far a simple sling is the best performing.

I really want to try a few crazy designs but I’ve been lacking my motivation lately

You have reasons. We are here to tempt you back into it.  Cheesy

SerKraus- That's an excellent suggestion. Tough as nails, completely waterproof, low twist potential and recycling doesn't hurt either. Actually to be honest I "really" wish I had one now. It would have to be the right polymer but that's actually an excellent idea.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 8:31pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 6:42pm:
SerKraus- That's an excellent suggestion. Tough as nails, completely waterproof, low twist potential and recycling doesn't hurt either. Actually to be honest I "really" wish I had one now. It would have to be the right polymer but that's actually an excellent idea.

Thanks. I was originally inspired by a Swedish army slingshot design that Timpa showed in a video. The pouch and the bands were one piece. They were shaped like a nice one-piece leather sling would be. If we had the right rubber I'm sure it would work.

https://youtu.be/Bd7nVnIk3TM

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:26pm

I’ve been wondering how well you could sling with a stretchy sling and whether you could possibly do it accurately... as in, a sling where the length changes with the tension so that maybe you get a self- regulating system that throws almost the same with light or heavy ammo.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:29pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:26pm:
I’ve been wondering how well you could sling with a stretchy sling and whether you could possibly do it accurately with the right style and ammo

You can definitely sling with a stretchy sling but from what I've heard, they release very inconsistently. A non-stretchy rubber would be best though.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:32pm

The thought of a rubber sling reminded me of this: https://www.pixelandtimber.com/modern-throwing-sling-original.  Doesn't look like much is happening with it though.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:33pm

SerKraus wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 8:31pm:
Morphy wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 6:42pm:

Thanks. I was originally inspired by a Swedish army slingshot design that Timpa showed in a video. The pouch and the bands were one piece. They were shaped like a nice one-piece leather sling would be. If we had the right rubber I'm sure it would work.

https://youtu.be/Bd7nVnIk3TM

Oh yes that's key.

And you know if you did actually make one not only would that type of sling forever bear your name but I suspect whoever makes the most interesting idea for a sling upgrade or even their own design to help the mechanics would like what happens next.  Roll Eyes  Wink

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:49pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:32pm:
The thought of a rubber sling reminded me of this: https://www.pixelandtimber.com/modern-throwing-sling-original.  Doesn't look like much is happening with it though.

Those are the guys who made the Danger Goods slings.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:50pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:33pm:
...I suspect whoever makes the most interesting idea for a sling upgrade or even their own design to help the mechanics would like what happens next.  Roll Eyes  Wink

I don't follow. What do you mean?  Huh

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 10:16pm

SerKraus wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:50pm:
Morphy wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:33pm:
...I suspect whoever makes the most interesting idea for a sling upgrade or even their own design to help the mechanics would like what happens next.  Roll Eyes  Wink

I don't follow. What do you mean?  Huh

Hmm who knows. I say random stuff sometimes. But who knows. Who knows...  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 10:37pm

A stretchy sling is a bad idea.  When I was very new to slinging and slinging.org I asked about stretchy or elastic slings.  I was told it was a bad Idea, that it was dangerous, and that there was no advantage to it.  Of course being me I had to try it.  It was a bad idea, it was dangerous, and there was no advantage to it.
    I have designed some unconventional slings but I don't think they'd count as abstract. I've made a couple of side by side two pouch slings that performed very well.  The more consistent the ammo the tighter the shot group.  They can also be used as a single pouch sling to hurl large projectiles like softballs and snowballs.  I've seen over/under two pouch slings made by other members but I don't think they'd work as well.  I don't know this for a fact though since I've never tried one. 
     I've experimented with many other unconventional designs...  skeletonized pouches, many differently shaped pouches, oversized pouches, etc.  but I don't think any would qualify as abstract.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 10:51pm

Rat Man wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 10:37pm:
   A stretchy sling is a bad idea.  When I was very new to slinging and slinging.org I asked about stretchy or elastic slings.  I was told it was a bad Idea, that it was dangerous, and that there was no advantage to it.  Of course being me I had to try it.  It was a bad idea, it was dangerous, and there was no advantage to it.
    I have designed some unconventional slings but I don't think they'd count as abstract. I've made a couple of side by side two pouch slings that performed very well.  The more consistent the ammo the tighter the shot group.  They can also be used as a single pouch sling to hurl large projectiles like softballs and snowballs.  I've seen over/under two pouch slings made by other members but I don't think they'd work as well.  I don't know this for a fact though since I've never tried one. 
     I've experimented with many other unconventional designs...  skeletonized pouches, many differently shaped pouches, oversized pouches, etc.  but I don't think any would qualify as abstract.

The side by side I think would be in that group. As would Joes shotgun sling and the Red Baron with the three pouches on one sling. There’s tons of ideas, not just multiple pouches or shots. I would love people to post to this thread. I guarantee the more you put into this the more you will get out.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:25pm

It's late now but I'll post a picture of one of the side by sides tomorrow. Probably.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris)