Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aches and pains (Read 1295 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Aches and pains
Feb 2nd, 2021 at 10:22am

Ok, I feel old just talking about it, but both my father and my uncle have lost significant range of motion in their shoulders from torn rotator cuffs. My family seems genetically predisposed to shoulder problems.

I plan to keep slinging for a long time, but obviously that’s more difficult if you can’t even raise your arm above shoulder height. A tear may be inevitable since it runs in the family, but I want to give myself a fighting chance. If anyone has recommendations or tips to avoid excessive pain or muscle inflammation after exercise, I’m all ears.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Aches and pains
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 10:53am

dance like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y90yaLFoYoA
"to be free you have to act free" or something like that

pain management tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwj5ORPmX0
basically move as much as you can and rest well.

most of my pains come from bad posture from pc work

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:10am

I sit at a computer a lot too, but the thing that really gives me trouble is when I am trying to learn a new slinging style.  Without the muscle memory on the throws, my timing and coordination can be way off at the beginning.  That's where I really start to have trouble.  It's easier to pull something when you are making motions you aren't used to doing, and since I mostly use tennis balls, there isn't a lot of resistance from the sling to protect against moving the wrong way.  Once I tweak my shoulder, it keeps hurting for days even after I improve my form. 

Has anyone tried topical medications? I'm thinking if I can knock out the inflammation early it might give me less trouble overall.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:11am

I've had good luck with topical creams. There's some that are pretty well known but I'm drawing a blank. I remember they stink but they work great.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:28am

warm up and perform new moves slow and add velocity gradually.

I don't know about anti-inflammatory medication better talk to a doctor.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 1:52pm

Along with a multivitamin, I take turmeric and magnesium every day.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 1:55pm

Anything with lidocaine works.  They sell pads with it on them called Salonpas. But u could look at smoking stuff. I actually  have my medical card for MJ, but i mostly use something else if you want to learn more. Not trying to sound like a druggie, but there are natural remedies that might work

You can text me

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 2:08pm

For most of the history of civilization smoking marijuana did not make someone a druggie. That’s government propoganda of the last 100 years. Sorry had to say that. No I dont smoke anymore but I hate that people feel it’s somehow worse than alcohol when its not. Weird. Sorry Ill see myself out now.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 3:14pm

Since this is a public forum, i dont want people to think otherwise.  I have mutiple heath health issues that has caused me to have to use occasionally

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 3:30pm

Wow... I was expecting someone to say something like "IcyHot" or "Bengay"... or maybe a something more homeopathic like "wintergreen oil".  I did not expect the thread to go in this direction  Huh

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 5:34pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 3:30pm:
Wow... I was expecting someone to say something like "IcyHot" or "Bengay"... or maybe a something more homeopathic like "wintergreen oil".  I did not expect the thread to go in this direction  Huh

Just gotta use what works.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 6:46pm

Eww that's just a pet peeve. What right does a government have to dictate whether you can ingest a plant. Anyways, moving on. 

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 10:59pm

Sarosh wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:28am:
warm up and perform new moves slow and add velocity gradually.

This is very sound advice. Also, the older you get the more stretching before you do anything physical is absolutely necessary.  Sometimes people are amused when I stretch on the floor before I bowl.  Screw them.  If I don't stretch I'm susceptible to bullshit old people's injuries... little pulls, minor sprains, and such, that can cause pain for weeks.   Stretching and warming up will save you a lot of injury time.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:38pm

That’s it Morphy!  I’ve completely lost control of the thread, and the dream is fading fast. Obviously I am going to have to rethink the entire strategy.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 10:27am

Rat Man wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 10:59pm:
Also, the older you get the more stretching before you do anything physical is absolutely necessary.

by the way static stretching (+20second holds) should be performed only after and not before exercise to avoid injuries

https://youtu.be/9gPsr-RHPdQ

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris)