Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Natural fiber treatments (Read 2620 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Natural fiber treatments
Feb 1st, 2021 at 9:52pm

Has anyone else had any luck with modifying the properties of natural fibers using additives or chemical treatments?  I’ve expressed my frustration with how jute breaks too easily, but I started wondering if there may be ways to treat the fibers... maybe not to strengthen the jute necessarily, but maybe if you could soften the fibers somehow, they would bend more easily without breaking and the sling would last longer. Any ideas?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Re: Natural fiber treatments
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:11pm

I made a jute sling last week. It is very soft  but I was  disappointed with it. I then made a cotton, hemp and jute sling. It feels and looks better. I will report back after breaking them in. Jute is cheap, why not experiment. For softening I would be inclined to try hair conditioner ! Others could be coconut oil, beeswax, candle wax, petroleum jelly any other nut or vegetable oil and you could always try washing it !!!   
Good luck.    😇🦄

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:14pm

Hmm.  I don't know.

My first thought would be to do something like how raw-hide is made into leather, by using additives that cross-link (chemically bond) the collagen in the skin.  But, I don't know if there are the right kind of bonds available in plant materials. Cellulose is just a glucose chain repeated.  And crystallized cellulose is super strong stuff. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/cellulose-nanofibers

I have seen some papers on removing the lignin in wood to just keep the cellulose and you can end up with some strong stuff. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-01600-6  I wonder if you could do something like that... It might just make it really brittle though. The lignin is removed via boiling hydrogen peroxide if I remember right.  ...   apparently you can use a strong basic solution too. Either way, not a gentle process.

It would be interesting nonetheless.

John R.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:20pm

I think if there is sisal, horsehair, or manila, it is better to choose them.

With my jute I did this - soaked it with castor oil (ricin plant)

You can saturate it with lard, heat it in a pan and smear it

It's better than nothing anyway

I did the same with the skin on the sling

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:45pm

@IG, you could argue that jute, sisal, hemp, and cotton are all mostly cellulose, but they have very different properties from each other, so there must be some subtleties that matter... the real question is whether you can tweak those subtle differences and change one material to act differently. I guess I’ll have to dig a little deeper into the chemistry of natural fibers.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:46pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 9:52pm:
Has anyone else had any luck with modifying the properties of natural fibers using additives or chemical treatments?  I’ve expressed my frustration with how jute breaks too easily, but I started wondering if there may be ways to treat the fibers... maybe not to strengthen the jute necessarily, but maybe if you could soften the fibers somehow, they would bend more easily without breaking and the sling would last longer. Any ideas?

Can you specify what you mean by break? I've never had jute fail me unless I braided it wrong.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:56pm

An interesting question. This might be what I look into over the next few days. I won't even bother saying beeswax since we already know what that does and doesn't do.  Weirdly enough no one has ever mentioned on here (as far as I can remember) something like a substance that might give more strength rather than more durability.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 11:19pm

SerKraus wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:46pm:

Can you specify what you mean by break? I've never had jute fail me unless I braided it wrong.

When jute fails it’s usually in a place where there is mechanical bending. I have one that broke just under the retention knot, for example.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 12:17am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 11:19pm:
SerKraus wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:46pm:

When jute fails it’s usually in a place where there is mechanical bending. I have one that broke just under the retention knot, for example.

My jute slings have never ever broken. You must be making a mistake while braiding. The only time jute failed me was when I was new to braiding and made a tapering error. Even then, it didn’t break and would have happened to any other material provided I had braided it the same way.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 4:53am

If you want to make any plant fibre braid really loose and floppy:
1: soak it with water,
2: stretch it in your hands,
3: let it sit to dry.
I have no real use for it, but it's an interesting effect.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 6:24am

SerKraus wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 12:17am:
My jute slings have never ever broken. You must be making a mistake while braiding. The only time jute failed me was when I was new to braiding and made a tapering error. Even then, it didn’t break and would have happened to any other material provided I had braided it the same way.

Ah, young Padawan... do not put so much faith in your own personal experiences. The world is more rich and more complicated than the small bubble of one’s personal experiences. Also, your logic is not sound:

1. “This hasn’t happened to me personally”
2. “Therefore the answer is X”

A lack of information is not positive proof upon which to draw conclusions...yet you answer in bold absolute statements.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 7:09am

Archaic Arms wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 4:53am:
If you want to make any plant fibre braid really loose and floppy:
1: soak it with water,
2: stretch it in your hands,
3: let it sit to dry.
I have no real use for it, but it's an interesting effect.

I think it’s going to take more than water, but that might be worth a try too for comparison.

One substance that looks like it may have some promise is methyl salicylate. It’s an esther of salicylic acid, which shows up in a lot of commercial applications. I just need to find a good source for buying it in small quantities.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 7:50am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 7:09am:
salicylic acid

You reminded me of my little bottle of this substance, I used it as a medicine against acne on the face  Grin

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 8:16am

Scorpion Vin wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 7:50am:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 7:09am:
salicylic acid

You reminded me of my little bottle of this substance, I used it as a medicine against acne on the face  Grin

Hmmm... maybe. I don’t know if any form of salicylic acid works or if you need the methylated esther. I would be really careful treating slings with concentrated salicylic acid anyway unless you really know what you are doing. It might be better to look for some sort of dilute gel or something with a lower concentration.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 8:35am

Some of you guys must have much better jute than I've ever used. I've had 8 strand 5mm round braids from jute break on me in a few days or much less even. An equivalent Irish linen cord with all the proper protection would probably last many years.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker)