Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Are You Happy Where You Live? (Read 1812 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Are You Happy Where You Live?
Feb 1st, 2021 at 4:26pm

I have lived in some nice places and some dumps.  The last place I lived started out nice.  My wife, daughter, and I rented the upper unit of a duplex.  Below us lived an older woman with MS and her daughter.  Things were peaceful and good.  Then the daughter moved out and the woman moved a boyfriend in.  The boyfriend was a world class jerkoff but still things weren't that bad.  Then they moved out and a trash family of gang bangers moved in.  Life became hell at that point.  I won't go into detail because I could literally write a book about them.  Suffice to say I was never so glad to leave a place. 
    After my wife died I bought the haunted little lake house I'm living in now.  It's tiny but I've only ever lived in a tiny house so it seems very normal to me.  It's comfortable here.  I have the lake, the woods, lots of wildlife, a fenced in yard for the dogs, and ghosts.  Short of a major lottery win or some sort of disaster I'm staying where I live now for the duration. 
    So do you hate where you live now and can't wait to escape or are you happy and comfortable?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Are You Happy Where You Live?
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 3:47am

We're living in a student house currently. We moved in when I started studying nursing and then switched who it was under to my wife when I finished my studies and she was still working on her Bachelor's degree. She's doing Masters now (and maybe a phd after that but hasn't decided yet) but she''l lose the right to a student house once her Master's is done in the spring so we'll have to move out. This place hasn't been too bad. It has problems, the biggest being it's dark as hell all year round because the windows aren't big enough or in the right places, but, for a first home and a student house at that, it's pretty nice. My sisters in England have had horrible experiences with student flats. Loads of maintenance problems, arsehole landlords, terrible roommates, loud neighbours... For us, the few problems we've had have been fixed very quickly, we didn't need to cram in with a load of strangers so it's just been us (and we mostly get along Tongue ) and the area we're in is more families and couples so there hasn't been raging parties all night long every weekend. The area around us is really close to nature and the spot I've used for slinging, though far from perfect, has worked out well. I think I will miss this place when we move. At the very least, our new place will almost certainly be smaller and more expensive. Just can't beat those student prices...

Speaking on the slightly larger scale, I've lived in Finland now since 2013 (my god it was a long time ago I moved here...) and there has not been a single second I've regretted that move. Of course, the main reason I moved was for my now wife, but I can't ignore that their are other reasons I've stayed over here. I often speak disparagingly about the UK and talk about Finland as if it has no flaws, but this isn't true. There are things I miss about the UK and there are things I wish were different about Finland. On the whole though, Finland is more my country than the UK ever was. Something about the culture here speaks to me and the sheer amount of nature can't be beat. I don't want to make this topic political (we've all had enough of it at this point), but I will say that I prefer the direction Finland is going than the UK. Again, things are far from perfect over here, but at least it seems, for the most part, politicians make their choices based on actual political beliefs on how they believe the country should be run, even if there are politicians I disagree with. I get less of an impression that politicians are beholden to their own interests and are just out for their own gain. I also feel voters here are not as easily taken in. I've seen decades of voters in the UK get taken in by the Conservatives who do not, even for a moment, care about common everyday people. I think that's something I appreciate about Finland, though their are still levels in society, there is no hard entrenched class system. The UK is not a fair and just society for all. Neither is Finland, but it feels closer to that idea that everyone is equal and equally entitled to help and respect. This is my home.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 7:57am

I am not. But that's ok because I'm driving towards my new house as we speak. We were trying to hold out to buy a house with an acre or two but nothing within the areas we wanted showed up. So we are renting and saving the next two years  to open up more opportunities.

This new house we are in has a good size garage which will be annexed by me immediately to a workshop. Which will make my wife happy as well that random bow staves aren't being stored around the house. Like an Easter egg hunt with logs. So no to answer your question RM but only no for the next thirty mins.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:07am

yesterday I was looking how easy it is to go live in a secluded lighthouse... Tongue

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:11pm

Sarosh wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:07am:
yesterday I was looking how easy it is to go live in a secluded lighthouse... Tongue

In ancient times when I was a child there was a Disney "Wonderful World of Color" episode about an old man who lived in a lighthouse. I was fascinated by it.  I could live in a lighthouse.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:55pm

I’m not sure I would actually love living in one, but I like the IDEA of living in a decommissioned missile silo. There’s a Nike missile site in the middle of a neighborhood in an undisclosed area of Maryland that we used to use as a test site on my day job. Other folks also liked testing there because they could fire live handgun rounds down there and nobody was bothered by it. With a little clean up... it would’ve made a pretty sweet doomsday bunker.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 3:24am

On thing that would put me off living in a lighthouse is that I've heard lighthouse keeper life expectancy is super low...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:22am

Kick wrote on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 3:24am:

On thing that would put me off living in a lighthouse is that I've heard lighthouse keeper life expectancy is super low...

Can't imagine why....

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 10:10am

the salt of life  lol

living in a city is like a mouse utopia experiment

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 12:06pm

Maine has a few lighthouses, every couple of years i see an ad online for one.

When i was single with my dog i actually looked at an open postion of lighthouse keeper.

I am kind of happy. Even with a town population of 200. And living on a dirt road. Too much traffic.  I would rather be in remote alaska

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 12:47am

vetryan15 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 12:06pm:
Maine has a few lighthouses, every couple of years i see an ad online for one.

When i was single with my dog i actually looked at an open postion of lighthouse keeper.

I am kind of happy. Even with a town population of 200. And living on a dirt road. Too much traffic.  I would rather be in remote alaska

Do you think your move to Alaska will ever happen?  I would tend to think yes because you did pick up and move from New Jersey to northern Maine.  Alaska seems the next logical step.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 1:17am

It depends on what happens with my gf, some days she says NO, when she is mad. some days she says YES, But gotta marry her first. Lol. Itd definitely a possibility

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 12:09pm

Lucky man Vet, my wife clearly said "no" before we got married. But Central Wisconsin is a pretty good place.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 1:02pm

If dont mind cold and like your peace and quiet its hard to beat Alaska.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 6:11pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Feb 4th, 2021 at 12:09pm:
Lucky man Vet, my wife clearly said "no" before we got married. But Central Wisconsin is a pretty good place.

Wisconsin is a beautiful state.  I've only been there twice but I was very impressed by it... lots of big lakes and dairy farms.  I could live there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)