Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Brick bullets ? (Read 7799 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Brick bullets ?
Reply #90 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:28am

I have a challenge for you guys: get the material cost of your ammo down below $0.10 per piece

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #91 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 11:55am

SerKraus wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:19am:
The only thing I want in this life is cheap but quality ammo.

whats is cheap for you? ($/gram)

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:28am:
I have a challenge for you guys: get the material cost of your ammo down below $0.10 per piece

I think that is impossible unless you are selling 10gram bullets or something

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #92 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 12:01pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:28am:

My land has a ton of clay. I COULD just shovel it up, and roll it on the mokds. Then dry it out.

But i am lazy. I might do that one day

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #93 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 12:36pm

I specifically said “material cost” which excludes labor. If you’re making ammo in bulk, I think it’s very possible, but not if you assume that it isn’t before trying.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #94 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 1:02pm

Impossible isnt the word i would use. Easy is more like it.

Less than 2 cents per 4 oz shot. Extremely durable and almost as dense as a river stone. Perfect shape etc. Also anyone has access to it. Hard to beat

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #95 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 1:09pm

already done concrete ammo a single concrete egg(117g avg)  cost 0.0034€

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #96 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 1:30pm

Sarosh wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 1:09pm:

Not being sarcastic here Sarosh.... but wouldnt that be less than 10 cents per shot? Im too tired to figure out where my brain is going wrong here.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #97 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 2:47pm

Sarosh wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 1:09pm:

Sure. We can go with 0.10€ if you want. That leaves a lot of room for fiber or chemical additives to achieve different properties.

I’m just trying to eliminate some of the “gold plated” options like machined tungsten.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #98 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 3:05pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 1:30pm:
Not being sarcastic here Sarosh.... but wouldnt that be less than 10 cents per shot? Im too tired to figure out where my brain is going wrong here.

I meant more than I wrote. Yes that is 0.0034€ per shot which means the challenge Nooc proposed has been accomplished. In reply #91 I thought he was talking about price including labour. Clearly he isnt. My bad, I didnt read the material in material cost Tongue

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #99 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 3:11pm

Sarosh wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 3:05pm:
Morphy wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 1:30pm:

I meant more than I wrote. Yes that is 0.0034€ per shot which means the challenge Nooc proposed has been accomplished. In reply #91 I thought he was talking about price including labour. Clearly he isnt. My bad, I didnt read the material in material cost Tongue

I see. So ya you are right though. Its the labor cost that is the real problem. Actually material in slinging is super cheap. Its labor in gathering, making and regathering shots that is the real cost. Which is why im so big on backstops. Because even 2 cent concrete ammo isnt a viable solution if you only get a couple shots from each.

What I really would like though is a moldable epoxy putty that I could use in CAs rollers. But that stuff is so much more expensive than normal clay or concrete. Sooo much more convenient though.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #100 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:52pm

People are now 3D printing concrete houses using a small crew. If you can do that, you can also automate the mixing and pouring of cement into glande molds. It’s a solvable problem at scale.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #101 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:56pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:52pm:
People are now 3D printing concrete houses using a small crew. If you can do that, you can also automate the mixing and pouring of cement into glande molds. It’s a solvable problem at scale.

Ive dreamed about something like that for years. If the material is cost effective that might be the beat solution

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #102 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:57pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:56pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 4:52pm:

Ive dreamed about something like that for years. If the material is cost effective that might be the best solution

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #103 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 5:03pm

It’s conceptually simple, but the devil’s in the details. There’s a lot of design that must go into the mold, the cement formulation, mold release agents, automated mixing, pumping, and material handling.

The ideal solution would be an ammunition “factory” that is easy to replicate around the world. Local production is preferred because the shipping costs for the final product would be fairly expensive.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #104 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 5:06pm

If you really want to get fancy, add fibers under tension to make pre-stressed concrete ammo

There’s also going to be some secret sauce in the curing process.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man)