Send Topic Print
Brick bullets ? (Read 7790 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Brick bullets ?
Reply #75 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 7:17pm

Jaegoor wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 7:02pm:
Please do not get this wrong.  Of course it is clear to me that a beginner will not shoot high end sling.  And I also know that you can make a sling very quickly.  Even with the simplest means.  I also like to look at such a sling.  I even shoot them.  But I don't think it will surprise me.  There is actually a historical sling from Haithabu.  This is built very quickly.  But is that what I imagine  The answer is no.  I have a particular model in mind.  They are made of synthetic fiber.  It would be very durable and also very attractive.  I think that something like this is no longer a problem on a programmable loom.  I've been pursuing this idea for some time.  We'll see what comes out of it

Ahh see. That really is kind of brilliant. I’ve thought of using a braiding machine to make complicated braids more easily but never even considered a programmable loom. I am both intrigued and horrified.

I’m sure you can understand both sentiments. It allows so many more people to have a beautiful, highest quality sling but an item that is handcrafted has a certain sentiment that is impressed on it by the maker. Yes I am silly but this is how I see it. Either way, really an interesting idea.

So here’s an idea from me...NOOC sends you one of his slings. You hold onto the package and if some day you feel like trying it out for a couple throws it takes all of 30 seconds. Especially with how fast you reload.  Grin Grin

You could try it one day and do a huge favor for one of our members. A member who has sent many people slings just to help out and be nice. It would be a really nice thing to do. I hope you will consider this option. It will cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time. Anyways, that’s my sales pitch! Looking forward to seeing your post on the programmable loom!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #76 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 8:27pm

Jaegoor wrote on Feb 16th, 2021 at 7:02pm:
Please do not get this wrong.  Of course it is clear to me that a beginner will not shoot high end sling.  And I also know that you can make a sling very quickly.  Even with the simplest means.  I also like to look at such a sling.  I even shoot them.  But I don't think it will surprise me.  There is actually a historical sling from Haithabu.  This is built very quickly.  But is that what I imagine  The answer is no.  I have a particular model in mind.  They are made of synthetic fiber.  It would be very durable and also very attractive.  I think that something like this is no longer a problem on a programmable loom.  I've been pursuing this idea for some time.  We'll see what comes out of it

I only suggested it because you said that we should go to a sports manufacturer to standardize and mass-produce slings.  Why not let an engineer who is already part of the slinging community give it a try first?  Since I know you have strong opinions and I also know you will be totally honest with me, I offered to send you one or two of my current design to review. The asymmetric design is intended to closely mimic the function of a split pouch sling but have better retention so beginners don’t throw as many stones backwards.  You have much more experience with traditional slings, so I would love to hear your opinions on how it compares.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #77 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 1:17am

Ok 👌

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #78 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 7:37am

Wow, what can I say. I never expected, as a newbie, to start a thread which would lead to Jaegoors most excellent revelation.

I have always found people of good heart do what they can. I didn't presume to suggest anything on sling development because I know I'm out of my depth and I leave it to my betters.

Ammo on the other hand.......

Perhaps it's a chicken and egg situation.......

Jaegoor says sport sling first then ammo.

Why not twin track development. ?

Or better yet three groups working, one on sport development, one on slings and one on ammo.

I humbly await input.🤔

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #79 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 8:09am

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 7:37am:
Wow, what can I say. I never expected, as a newbie, to start a thread which would lead to Jaegoors most excellent revelation.

I have always found people of good heart do what they can. I didn't presume to suggest anything on sling development because I know I'm out of my depth and I leave it to my betters.

Ammo on the other hand.......

Perhaps it's a chicken and egg situation.......

Jaegoor says sport sling first then ammo.

Why not twin track development. ?

Or better yet three groups working, one on sport development, one on slings and one on ammo.

I humbly await input.🤔

Thats the most logical way of doing it I can see. We all have different interests and specialties and it would make sense we all focus on our strong points and share information to meet in the middle.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #80 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 9:25am

Thanks for that Morphy.
I think that places us at;

Please can I have volunteers to help me with ammo, whatever works for you, input, research, or approaching manufacturers ?

Jaegoor and Nocc appear to be way out there in front to sort sling standards ..... Are you up for the challenge, or am I being presumptuous ?

And..... Anyone interested in sport development ?  Possibly the worst area as it means dealing with humans in sports organisations.

I humbly await input........ Either to

"Suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles"

Or more hopefully to work towards a goal 👍👍👍

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #81 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 9:37am

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 9:25am:
Thanks for that Morphy.
I think that places us at;

Please can I have volunteers to help me with ammo, whatever works for you, input, research, or approaching manufacturers ?

Jaegoor and Nocc appear to be way out there in front to sort sling standards ..... Are you up for the challenge, or am I being presumptuous ?

And..... Anyone interested in sport development ?  Possibly the worst area as it means dealing with humans in sports organisations.

I humbly await input........ Either to

"Suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles"

Or more hopefully to work towards a goal 👍👍👍

I volunteer to provide input. I feel like we neglect ammo innovation in comparison to sling innovation.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #82 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 10:19am

Woo hoo ! and so it starts.

SerKraus, many thanks for being first to stick your head above the parapet.

So we now have 2 in the ammo group.

I suggest we look for an odd number of people (so always a majority possible) in each group, at least 5 to allow for holidays and other absence.

If sufficient volunteer for each group I propose a month to settle out and sort what they want to achieve and report back in one month to assess progress.

Cheers.👍

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #83 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 10:21am

Mods, does this thread need moving, re naming, sticking or something else please. ?
Cheers.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #84 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 10:28am

NO STICKIES!  We just cleaned up the stickies!  LOL Shocked

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #85 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 10:45am

Stickies are important for a few topics but typically threads have a life of their own. There is no rhyme or reason why some go so longer and some don’t. If this is your thing the absolute best way to get more discussion is to do testing and then post pictures and videos. We are essentially hungry fish. Just give us some bait and let us go at it.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #86 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 3:53pm

Sarosh wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 3:23pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 3:04pm:
You need customers who want to buy the slings.

we need more wolves then all shepherds will want to buy slings.

This is the way of the fastest popularization of the sling, you submitted a good idea, it is necessary to breed wolves and increase their population
Grin

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #87 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:03am

@scorpionvin
Oh the longing to have a wolfskin sling, hat  or jock strap 🤓🤣

Beavers have been released into the wild here in the UK. There is serious discussion about doing the same with wolf and bear....a step too far for me but I see the logic.

Cheers   👍
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:26pm by xud9a - call me zud 👍 »  

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #88 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:09am

Update,
SerKraus and I are moving apace on Ammo and I think are on track to post some conclusions in a few weeks.

We would be delighted for any others to join our Ammo working group particularly if you are young, old or middle aged and to prove no discrimination we don't mind wether you have hair or not.

If anyone is interested in working on sport sling standards or sport development please check in or pm me.
Cheers

Zud.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #89 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:19am

The only thing I want in this life is cheap but quality ammo.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)