Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Brick bullets ? (Read 8057 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Brick bullets ?
Reply #30 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 6:29pm

I'll try to explain again.  The idea is good.  But not new either.  Certainly you can make a lot of bullets with good equipment.  But that wouldn't be cheap.  The Balearic Islands tried.  They have many workshops on the islands.  It did not work.  For me personally, clay is too easy.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #31 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 7:00pm

David Morningstar wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 7:47am:
Everyone likes different weights of ammo. In the Balearics, where there has been plenty of time for such a standard to emerge if it were natural or necessary, everyone provides their own ammo and it is all different. All the stones are marked and when they collect at the end of a round, they all swap ammo around until everyone has their own stones back.

Thanks Jaegoor, respected but contrary opinions regarding the balearics. I also explained the moulding kit would be two worked planks. Hardly hi tech kit !
So .... What I'm driving at is
A) is there a desire for we as a community to move to an international standard for sport slinging ?
B) what would those standards be ? I am simply asking if anyone has, or is there a desire to investigate standardised sport ammunition i.e. brick bullets or something else ? Cheers  🤓

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 9:13pm

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Feb 8th, 2021 at 7:00pm:
Everyone likes different weights of ammo. In the Balearics, where there has been plenty of time for such a standard to emerge if it were natural or necessary, everyone provides their own ammo and it is all different. All the stones are marked and when they collect at the end of a round, they all swap ammo around until everyone has their own stones back.

Thanks Jaegoor, respected but contrary opinions regarding the balearics. I also explained the moulding kit would be two worked planks. Hardly hi tech kit !
A) is there a desire for we as a community to move to an international standard for sport slinging ?
B) what would those standards be ? I am simply asking if anyone has, or is there a desire to investigate standardised sport ammunition i.e. brick bullets or something else ? Cheers  🤓

I want to see slings in the Olympics one day. Not gonna happen anytime soon but one can dream.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 1:25am

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Feb 8th, 2021 at 7:00pm:

I dont think a standard ammo would work except that perhaps its all stone or clay or what not. As for weight no there is simply too much difference in body types and slinging styles.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #34 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 3:01am

Sling at olympia?  Please do not.  Olympia is a juggernaut today.  It's about money.  Not a thought.  Everything will be regulated.  Your shoes too.  Or which fiber your sling may be made of.  I can respect.  But I don't have to.  Because you should also respect the Balearic Islands.  A rule of the Balearic Islands, no man-made ammunition.  Another rule, no plastic.  Figure 8 is also normally not welcomed.  Much of what happens internationally is tolerated, but not necessarily welcomed.  So where is the respect?  Hubert once had pretty good clay glands.  They were burned too.  And some could be used multiple times.  About the cost.  You have to buy good clay.  You rarely find it just like that in the landscape.  And if they are not allowed to promote on a large scale.  Even a large manufacturer will be paid for this.  Burning also costs.  Time, energy and manpower.  You need to store the glandes.  And then you have to.  still send.  How big should a pack be?  One hundred, two hundred or five hundred rounds?  We're not talking about soft air balls.  And then they also want to earn money.  So with all due respect.  What should the whole wihl cost?

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #35 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 6:04am

The best sling stone maker, ask the Palestinians

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #36 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 6:35am

Serkraus, dreams are good, without the dream where does the drive come from ?
Olympics, why not. But internationally recognised sport slinging would have to come first.
Paleolympics have already been held so Jaegoor, I take your point about IOC and agree, what's  wrong with an alternative wether that already exists or not ?
As to your questions about cost etc ? I do not know. But unless and until an enquiry is made no one can know.
Things I do know, bricks are made to a tested standard, if they weren't, buildings would collapse.
There is a European standard for bricks, compressibility, weight, size etc.
America too has standards and testing.
To my mind it follows that if bricks are tested to a standard then glandes made from the same material fired in the same way would meet that standard.
Once a standard is agreed, world wide replication becomes easy with manufacturing done close to delivery point. The same lorry which delivers bricks could and would deliver glandes for a similar distribution network.
So yes cost is a huge factor but without agreeing it should be done where do we start ?
Once something is known targets and objectives can be set but without dreams, ambition and desire nothing will be achieved.
Golf balls, tennis balls and rusty balls are already ammo standards.

My soap box has now collapsed, I am whimpering on the floor and I'm off outside to sling some snow in a seatbelt sling   Shocked    Lips Sealed        Cry

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #37 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 6:37am

J,   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Cool

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #38 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 7:05am

A form of slinging is in the olympics already, it is called hammer throwing
The only sling aside from that I can see work in the olympics is the bola, specifically the bola perdida (bola with only 1 weight).
It elimates all the variables of different sling types (uniformity.) and that way you can ensure the only variable is the athlete

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #39 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 7:59am

J, a fascinating thought and something I was intending to try.... In spring. However, if there was an appetite for sport slinging surely pursuing  a single ambition would be more sensible.   🦄

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 9:47am

We have already tried to take part in the palaeo Olympics.  That was refused.  Reason.  There are no historical finds from this period.  Only atlatl, jevelin and bow.  But I was able to demonstrate and introduce the sling several times at this event.  You can of course use clay glandes.  I do this occasionally too.  But I shoot about 250 to 300 rounds per training.  Four times a week.  I would have mountains of rubble that I would have to dispose of again.  Which also costs money again.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #41 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 6:16am

Jaegoor, I'm sorry, I have built a new soap box and now have a megaphone  🤓
I take your point about rubble and I am not asking you personally to change anything you do.
What I am trying to find out is if there is an appetite for international sport slinging and if there is how would it be progressed ?
As to rubble, there are 2 types of brick bullet I have in mind. In the UK known as concrete commons and silica brick.
The commons are very fine concrete mix and used as footings i.e. underground and so have very high compressibility.
The silica brick is a lot lighter but again very fine grain and mainly used for industrial buildings due to good wear characteristics.
So.......... Unless someone was slinging at a concrete wall I'm fairly sure either of these would be repeatedly reusable.

It's simply a case of more options opening up if there was a general desire to investigate. It is really easy to find reasons NOT to do something.
👍🖖💐

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #42 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 7:14am

There is another way to make sling stones not so often discussed
That is by chisel. It goes quick when I use soft rock. I use broken street stones.
I made a good dozen of these in the past. Wear eye protection if you chisel.
Don't sling these against a steel back stop, they can break.
these are a pound

lachisch.jpg (330 KB | 16 )
lachisch.jpg

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #43 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 7:31am

They look fun to hurl at targets.
If they were good enough for the Assyrians, then they are good enough for us!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 7:41am

Yes, I am quite amazed at the velocity possible even with such heavy stones, they might not fly very far as a a smaller stone, but they stay on course, punching through the air effortlessly. I find that a wrist loop and a full fist tab helps a lot to handle them. A wrist loop I now use because on thinner cords it does not seem to interfer with me holding the release tab. It does help a lot to control heavy stones in my experience. I can feel the force of the stone dispersed over the wrist and hand instead of on the fingers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man)