Send Topic Print
Brick bullets ? (Read 8060 times)
xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Brick bullets ?
Jan 31st, 2021 at 7:16am

I have realised that pretty much any question asked has been answered..... Twice !
However, I have yet to find any reference to sling bullets made by a brick maker.
Has anyone researched standardised sling ammo made by a brick maker ?

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Brick bullets ?
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 7:51am

Fired clay ammo has been made by some of us, it is very hard and survives impacts well

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 9:05am

Just don’t take the brick maker’s straw away unless you want your crops to be devoured by a plague of locusts  Wink

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 11:13am

Just lateral thinking....... If Romans used bricks,  ...... We know they did, and if Romans wanted industrial (army size) quantities of glandes it follows you would give the contract to people skilled in the use of those materials. Today, there are brick makers who make "specials" eg bricks made to order in special sizes or shapes for a particular building. You see where I'm going or please tell me I'm mad !........

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 9:34pm

Did Romans also use smaller lead glandes? Sling history in not my forte. Seems crazy to use big bricks when the logistics of carrying that much heavy ammo for hundreds or thousands of slingers to use in battle. Not doubting you, just curious about their reasoning.

And no you’re not crazy. Right or wrong it makes sense.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 6:09am

Ok, if I'm not crazy I will stick with my usual odd, and return to the theme of standardised ammo for sport or data collection.
I know there are as many opinions as slingers, but in general is there any demand for standard ammo in a range of sizes ?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 7:47am

Everyone likes different weights of ammo. In the Balearics, where there has been plenty of time for such a standard to emerge if it were natural or necessary, everyone provides their own ammo and it is all different. All the stones are marked and when they collect at the end of a round, they all swap ammo around until everyone has their own stones back.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 8:19am

David oder sie stehlen dir deine steine wenn sie besser sind. 😂
Ich selbst habe schon sehr viel Munition hergestellt. Auch aus Ton. Oder beton. Ich schieße sehr viel. Und es lohnt sich fur mich nicht. Der aufwand ist zu groß.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 8:49am

Good point, well made Jaegoor.
DM, I don't think I could muster an argument, rox will always be the default ammo.
However, there seems to be a lot of thread time spent on physics, maths and data collection as well as, in the past, sport slinging.
I have yet to find a thread on eliminating variables, hence my question on standardised ammo.
Cheers.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:43am

Standardized ammunition is good.  Most of the Balearic Islands don't want it.  Paying money for something that breaks.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 11:08am

Jaegoor wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 8:19am:
David oder sie stehlen dir deine steine wenn sie besser sind. 😂
Ich selbst habe schon sehr viel Munition hergestellt. Auch aus Ton. Oder beton. Ich schieße sehr viel. Und es lohnt sich fur mich nicht. Der aufwand ist zu groß.

Du musst sie ja nicht zerdeppern, ich arbeite gerade an einer Zielscheibe mit Loch als Diane.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 11:19am

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 8:49am:
I have yet to find a thread on eliminating variables, hence my question on standardised ammo. Cheers.

Your wish is my command.

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1527869492/12#12

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 12:15pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 11:19am:
xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 8:49am:
I have yet to find a thread on eliminating variables, hence my question on standardised ammo. Cheers.

Your wish is my command.

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1527869492/12#12

Xud, I've started working on a mega-post that will eventually make its way over to the maths section.  Instead of trying to exactly model the physics of the sling, I plan to take an approach that has never been done on this forum before (to my knowledge)... I will start with a stupid simple model, analyze it until the model fails to explain what we see in the real world.  Then I will introduce a new model that is slightly more complex to specifically address the failures of the previous model.  Rinse and repeat...

The goal is not to arrive at an exact mathematical model of the sling but instead to build an intuition about slinging and how theory can help improve your understanding of it even when the theory is less than perfect.

Stay tuned.  I might get around to posting this monster treatise some time in the next decade Wink

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 5:21pm

How happy I am to be allowed to play with the boys with the big brains. Hubert, often the simplest ideas are the best  Wink
Morphy, thanks for the link, an eye opener and I note in it another reference to slinging as an olympic sport !!
NooC, taking the message out of big reports is what I was born for ... bring it on  Grin
I was taught; the essence of the scientific method is replicability.

Would it therefore follow that giving 100 slingers 10 standardised slings (in different types and lengths) with standardised ammo (brick glandes, or otherwise) and asking them to sling at targets (balearic or otherwise) at set distances and recording the results (painstakingly) would produce a huge amount of useful data  which could produce unexpected results, an evidence base for the olympic bid  Grin and anomalies which could be relevant to producing working hypotheses ?

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 5:24pm

AND, yes I know I am building uncosted castles in the clouds but, for me, the answers could be a starting point to a proposal.

Cheers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man)