Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Burlap slings (Read 997 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Burlap slings
Jan 30th, 2021 at 8:33am

I just came across another enterprising sling peddler selling slings in bulk to the Sunday school crowd. These are made from repurposed burlap sacks apparently... just like in Biblical times Roll Eyes

https://www.holylandtreasuresonline.com/Store/Products/Item/-57/1/82.html

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Burlap slings
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 8:42am

Ooo boy... I don't see one of those lasting more than, maybe, 10 shots. They look WEAK.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 8:43am

that site sounds vahuely familiar - think we had a thread on it some years back.

It's not a slingshot - sheesh, I know it shouldn't annoy me as much as this - but it still does lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 8:52am

Yeah... I have yet withheld my opinion about the slings themselves, but I will say that the Google search was painful.  I intentionally put the words “shepherd” and “slingshot”  in the search bar to see if I could find anything new. I managed to do it without throwing my keyboard across the room, but I still feel dirty for having done it.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 9:05am

Kick wrote on Jan 30th, 2021 at 8:42am:
Ooo boy... I don't see one of those lasting more than, maybe, 10 shots. They look WEAK.

I love how the website says “we don’t know if this is how they were made in Biblical times” as if to suggest that it’s possible.

Um, no. Shepherds probably made slings that worked reliably since it was their main defense against lions and bears, and I’m pretty sure burlap sacks weren’t the primary source material.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 11:42am

Looking again, the pouches look ok but those cords are just waiting to snap. I would worry using tennis balls in them let alone rocks...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 12:36pm

Wrong David. This particular David had his cords snap on the first shot and was run through with a spear the size of a 4x4.

See we make trash slings for fun but they get paid to do it. You might say they are professional trash sling makers. Bravo.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 1:48pm

Ah of course. I forgot about David the Noodler from the apocryphal Book of Second Strings. Poor guy didn’t stand a chance.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 2:07pm

He was throughly unnoodled.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 10:35pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 30th, 2021 at 8:52am:
but I still feel dirty for having done it.

As you should lol

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 3:32pm

The slings look crude but functional.  One positive... the price is right.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 10:02pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 31st, 2021 at 3:32pm:
  The slings look crude but functional.  One positive... the price is right. 

I’ll sell you a sling that’s at least 3x better for only twice the price Grin

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 6:51am

And....... Just out of curiosity I clicked on buy and went to checkout. To the UK postage by usps is $56.66 so a burlap sling delivered is $65.56.
I didn't go ahead  Roll Eyes

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 9:16am

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 6:51am:
And....... Just out of curiosity I clicked on buy and went to checkout. To the UK postage by usps is $56.66 so a burlap sling delivered is $65.56.
I didn't go ahead  Roll Eyes

Yikes!
I’ve never had to pay more than about $15 to ship a sling internationally. I guess that’s priced to encourage you to buy 100 slings at a time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)