Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bow string wax (Read 644 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Bow string wax
Jan 29th, 2021 at 3:27pm

I just got a pack of 5 tubes of bow string wax from Amazon today, but here's the thing...

This is my first time to use bow string wax.  To me, the wax looks and feels just like lip balm without the added coloring and scents.  It's in the exact same size tube as lip balm and everything.  Is it literally the same stuff just sold for a different use?  Does this mean I could just use lip balm which costs half the price?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Bow string wax
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 4:39pm

apparently the answer is: yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8B5JjJfMRs

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 4:46pm

I've always made my own so I can't really say but mine was always much harder than lip balm. I rub it into the string with a piece of leather until it gets hot enough to seep inside. After cooling it has a slight stiffness to it. Smells great too.

I did buy some commercial bowstring wax for my slings recently. It has a greenish tint which I'm not thrilled about. I hope it dries clear.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 9:02pm

Still using beeswax.  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 9:31pm

walter wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 9:02pm:
Still using beeswax.  Wink

Same here.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 11:40pm

Apparently I was asking the wrong crowd.

I do love beeswax. My grandfather used to always keep a block of it nearby when he was doing carpentry to lubricate wood screws.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 3:43pm

BTW, the bowstring wax did wonders for my everyday tennis ball sling. My leather pouch was dry and covered with a combination of mud and dog slobber, but a little wax  on the leather and cords made it look brand new again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)