Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jigs (Read 969 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Jigs
Jan 29th, 2021 at 8:44am

Two things to share today. One, a bit of a shocking revelation. And two, some thoughts.

First the revelation. This thread is about Jigs.

Second, for those who don’t know a jig is a device that’s used to make a specific project easier and more efficient. They can make a huge difference in time spent and frustration. One 64 strand braid using cordage that is basically thread makes me want to hurt myself.

So I love making slings but I despise doing the set up. My current set up involves drawing out the correct amount of cordage and wrapping it around my fingers until I have the correct amount of length, finding the center point and then wrapping the other side of the cordage until I have both in manageable “butterflies” ready for braiding. Needless to say this is a major pain in the butt and it makes me put off what otherwise would be an awesome and enjoyable process.

So enter the jig.

Originally my good man NOOC suggested something like this for my project:

The magnet goes on the bobbin and the counter counts the revolutions as the magnet passes the sensor. Once you know the amount of cord for one revolution you can easily turn that into a number of revolutions for the amount of cordage you need.

This is exactly what I was looking for but hold on...what about different cord diameters? Thicker cords will bulk up on the bobbin more and increase the circumference which would increase or decrease the amount of cordage spooled out for a given number. Now you can easily work around it but why bother.

Enter my new toy, the line counter:

The cordage goes into the slot and it automatically counts the amount of feet going through. Cord diameter is irrelevant since it’s counting the actual amount of cord instead of the amount of revolutions on the bobbin.

Anyways, I am very excited about this as it will help me make slings much faster. I’m sure there’s better ways to do this but my tama are home made and I figure it might be better to simply design this machine to them instead of using a more traditional design. Anyways thats my story, thanks for reading.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Jigs
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 8:49am

I prefer Irish ones.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 9:42am

Should have  video and tutorials for those.  Those some fancy toys.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 10:15am

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 9:42am:
Should have  video and tutorials for those.  Those some fancy toys.

Definitely will be. I have probably two or three worth of video on various projects that are needing to be finished. Along with 5 slings promised to various people. Once I get settled it's go time.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 10:40am

Speaking as someone who just built a tabletop sling factory for leather and paracord slings... I love it!

Spool systems do get complicated if you have to account for thickness of the cord, spool size, and the changing diameter as cord comes off the spool.  You eventually decide that a tensioner and/or a spool brake are nice to have too. The brake keeps the spool from continuing to spin after you stop pulling, and the tensioner gives you more even tension even if you pull inconsistently. I’ll try to draw a picture when I am at a computer.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 11:31am

Here's a quick sketch.  Cord comes off a spool, goes through a ring, and then you hang a weight on the cord.  then it goes through another ring.  The weight on the hook goes up or down if you change the tension as you pull, so it evens out instead of pulling too hard on the spool and unwinding the spool too fast

tensioner.png (51 KB | 12 )
tensioner.png

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 11:45am

Grin Grin

I drew this yesterday at work but stopped halfway through when I realized fish line counters exist so my design could be easier. Is the hook and the weight the tensioning adjustment?

The things I need to add in addition to the things you mentioned is a worm gear for evenly wrapping the cordage (optional) ; might have to cannibalize an old bait caster for that one or I guess just buy one. Also plan on adding a motor for turning the bobbin with a dimmer switch to adjust speed.

I'm not great with machines but I'm pretty sure I can manage that much.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:04pm

Well, I like your sketch better Grin

The inertia and friction on that pulley would double as a brake/tensioner, plus you get more braking from the rubber on the eyelets.  I like the idea of putting the counter magnet on that in-line pulley too... if the pulley circumference was a nice round number, then counting would not require math, but the fishing line counter looks like a good math-free  solution too as long as you don't need to measure down to the centimeter.  I could easily 3D print something that would work for that.

If you really wanted to get fancy, do the weighted tensioner, then the counter, then another tensioner on the other side so your friction would be consistent and you wouldn't lose measurement accuracy to slippage.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:07pm

... and yes! you did have some time on your hands yesterday!  When you're too busy to design sling-making machine jigs, somebody else is having a bad day.

If you come up with a basic design, I will gladly print and mail you some parts.  I have a 3D printer that has been collecting too much dust lately.  This would be a fun project.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:14pm

Ohh.... those modern kids... Straying from ye olden ways.
I use two chairs with some weight on them at an appropriate distance. It makes it easy to find the middle  Cheesy.
Other options: Warping pegs (aka screw clamps). Or if you go fancy: a "Zettelrahmen" (german, just google pictures of it).

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
If you really wanted to get fancy, do the weighted tensioner, then the counter, then another tensioner on the other side so your friction would be consistent and you wouldn't lose measurement accuracy to slippage.

Wrap it round the drum once? A nice idea. I have to remember that.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:42pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:07pm:
... and yes! you did have some time on your hands yesterday!  When you're too busy to design sling-making machine jigs, somebody else is having a bad day.

If you come up with a basic design, I will gladly print and mail you some parts.  I have a 3D printer that has been collecting too much dust lately.  This would be a fun project.

Damn NOOC I really appreciate that. I'll get back to you as it progresses.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:44pm

Teg wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:14pm:
Ohh.... those modern kids... Straying from ye olden ways.
I use two chairs with some weight on them at an appropriate distance. It makes it easy to find the middle  Cheesy.
Other options: Warping pegs (aka screw clamps). Or if you go fancy: a "Zettelrahmen" (german, just google pictures of it).

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:04pm:

Actually I blame you, Jaegoor and most recently NOOC.  Grin Grin

Too many fun projects not enough lottery winnings to do them.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 1:14pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:44pm:
Too many fun projects not enough lottery winnings to do them.

Lockdown helps in my case  Roll Eyes
I've been braiding like crazy to pass the time. No slings though  Cheesy

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 1:39pm

Teg wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:14pm:

The capstan effect will pretty much guarantee that you won’t get any slippage. It’s even better if you have a spiral groove with two wraps around your wheel. 

As long as you’re wrapping around the drum, you can also exit the drum coming back the other direction and make it more compact too.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:18pm

Kick wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 8:49am:
I prefer Irish ones.

Marabou or Bucktail work well. Plastic skirts too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)