Send Topic Print
Peloton and Such (Read 2042 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Peloton and Such
Jan 19th, 2021 at 9:55pm

I see on TV people working out to a recorded digital coach cheering them on.  Maybe it's because I'm old and there was no internet for most of my life but this looks silly to me.  Working out has been for the most part a personal thing.  The coach urging me on was always in my head.  Does anyone here use or know anyone who uses Peloton or similar aps? Do they work?  Does a recorded coach actually help/inspire you?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Peloton and Such
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 1:53am

You say you’re too old to get it, but workout videos on VHS were a thing 40 years ago RM.

Peloton is way too expensive for me, but my understanding is that it is much more than a recorded coach. The coach is watching in real time and interacting with the people who are in the virtual class. I did try Beach Body on Demand for a while, which is just a bunch of recordings, and it wasn’t too bad. It was good exercise but I never expected to be motivated by a coach. The “coach” is just there to show the moves. Other than streaming over the Internet, the Beach Body videos weren’t really much different than popping in a VHS of Sweatin’ to the Oldies.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 5:19am

That's not really my thing personally. I can see how others might like it though especially during this pandemic. The best motivator for me is either some good music or a YouTube video. So long as my mind isn't on how far I'm running or how hard I’m getting punched it all works for me.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 4:01pm

The voices in my head, make the music i need..  Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 5:46pm

Lol. Even my head voices can't sing.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 6:59pm

a wrote on Jan 20th, 2021 at 6:08pm:
Some probably do it for the company.... personally I used to watch a fitness program religiously back in the day, until the brunette left and they got some anorexic blonde in. Didn't actually exercise though.

I hope you realize how difficult it was for me not to make an inappropriate response. Vets voices sing but mine just make bad jokes.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 7:43pm

Another story here. I once told a shrink i hear voices. Her look was priceless.  Lol. Almost got committed.  But yes. My voices do sing. Its quite nice

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2021 at 9:44am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 20th, 2021 at 1:53am:
You say you’re too old to get it, but workout videos on VHS were a thing 40 years ago RM.

Good point, NOC.  I never did the exercise vids.  Just my preference.  I'd like to add that I'm not making fun of Peloton and similar aps.  I'll all for anything that gets people up and moving. 
     Back in the days before internet we always had exercise shows.  This was my favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-txctmr0pgQ  I cried like a baby for months when they took this off the air.  Like Killisi I was always too distracted to do conventional exercise to this.   

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2021 at 4:18pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 21st, 2021 at 9:44am:

Good point, NOC.  I never did the exercise vids.  Just my preference.  I'd like to add that I'm not making fun of Peloton and similar aps.  I'll all for anything that gets people up and moving. 
     Back in the days before internet we always had exercise shows.  This was my favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-txctmr0pgQ  I cried like a baby for months when they took this off the air.  Like Killisi I was always too distracted to do conventional exercise to this.   

Conventional exercise.  Grin Thanks. Much better than what I had in mind.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 11:23pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 21st, 2021 at 4:18pm:
Rat Man wrote on Jan 21st, 2021 at 9:44am:

Conventional exercise.  Grin Thanks. Much better than what I had in mind.

Here's a bit of useless trivia.  The little beauty leading the class is Bess Motta.  She played Sara Conner's roommate who the Terminator mistakenly kills thinking it's Sara in the original Terminator movie. Now you know.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 11:37pm

Wow!!! I can see her face clearly. I've seen that movie so many times lol...

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 6:59am

Unfortunately her acting career was very limited.  IMDB lists just one other part in a movie called Inside Out.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 9:34pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 6:59am:
Unfortunately her acting career was very limited.  IMDB lists just one other part in a movie called Inside Out.

Terminator 2 was one of my favorite movies in middle school. I got the VHS tape free with the purchase of the official Terminator 2 dagger. I still have that thing somewhere. I snagged a photo off the Internet because I am too lazy to get the knife out of my closet. This is what it looks like...

Because I have young children I’ve seen Inside Out many times now as well... actually a pretty good movie.  It’s Disney’s version of a “psychological thriller” Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 5:12am

Ahh yes 20 minute workout. Now I remember...ish. Definitely didn't Google it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 12:05pm

I’m pretty sure Richard Simmons single-handedly ruined the idea of workout videos for everyone.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)