Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Selecting a board for bows (Read 1775 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Selecting a board for bows
Jan 17th, 2021 at 12:16pm

https://youtu.be/uAVXLLy8-aQ

In this video I sometimes use rings and grain interchangeably even though they are not. Even so this works the vast majority of the time on most decent boards.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Selecting a board for bows
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 5:58pm

Good information.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 2:28am

I liked and subbed to your channel for this video, before I ever found this forum. Thanks, it is much appreciated. Would you mind if I post some pics of my bow with questions here about your opinion on if I should keep working or find a new board?

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 3:14am

Absolutely post it here. That way I can get tips on the sly from Morphy giving you tips  Wink

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 9:51am

Duckhands wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 2:28am:
I liked and subbed to your channel for this video, before I ever found this forum. Thanks, it is much appreciated. Would you mind if I post some pics of my bow with questions here about your opinion on if I should keep working or find a new board?

Of course. If you had any idea how much time I have off you would understand why you never need ask that question. I work 8 days a month by the way.  Shocked

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 10:37am

Morphy wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 9:51am:

Of course. If you had any idea how much time I have off you would understand why you never need ask that question. I work 8 days a month by the way.  Shocked

And here's me working 8 days a week, like a chump.  (More than 64 hours per week)

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 11:03am

Oxnate wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 10:37am:
Morphy wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 9:51am:

And here's me working 8 days a week, like a chump.  (More than 64 hours per week)

Ya we work 24s but that is very decieving as we are completely on call work. So I might come into work in the morning, get station duties done and then sleep or work on projects for the next 8 hours. Maybe mix it up and watch some youtube or even video games. It’s a tough life.

But it works out very well. For example, departments around here pay pretty well. Houston after all is one of the major hubs for medical in America, so there’s high demand for paramedics. If you are a paramedic with a good background and decent skills you can have a second job in the snap of a fingers. You have to beat companies off with a stick.

The other thing that people don’t understand is the pay scale. If you look on Indeed it shows us as pitifully underpaid. In reality that’s a very decieving number. For example let’s say you are really worked hard at a department and you work say 9 days a month...  Roll Eyes Paramedics at Texas City, Pearland and others start out at 63k a year. Right out of school. Of course, no one wants to sit around all the time so most get second jobs and work maybe...oh 15 days a month. With a yearly or 3 yearly raise at those departments and a going up in rank you have a good pention, pull in around 80k a year and live an easy life besides the whole infectious patients and running into burning buildings while others are running out.

With the second job you can very easily hit well of 100k a year. Now, I say this and full disclosure I choose not to make that much. I spent years in school and I missed a lot of my daughters early years because of it. We will take less than that so I can be with my family and start my side buisness/write my book.

All in all it’s a nice lifestyle and the best thing of course is helping people.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Question about this wood for making a bow
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 7:42pm

So I initially was worried about using this piece because of the cracks in this knot, so I chased the deepest ring I could, while leaving enough material for tillering. However I wasn't able to get below the knot. So my question is if there is a good way to stop those cracks, or if I should abandon this board? I initially thought maybe some wood glue or epoxy in there could help. Either way I plan on backing the bow with raw hide and a sinew wrap. Oh and I am new enough here that I don't know how to resize images. My apologies

20210311_173734.jpg (2923 KB | 19 )
20210311_173734.jpg

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Further shot of the board
Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 7:45pm

This is my first attempt at a self bow btw

20210311_173725.jpg (2922 KB | 25 )
20210311_173725.jpg

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 8:09pm

Abandon ship.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 8:37pm

Mersa wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 8:09pm:
Abandon ship.

Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 9:03pm

walter wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 8:37pm:
Mersa wrote on Mar 11th, 2021 at 8:09pm:
Abandon ship.

Thumbs Up

At this point it might be more helpful to throw him a life vest.

Duck let me do a quick picture to show you why that bow breaks in multiple different ways at the same time...

These are just the places in this picture where that bow breaks.

https://youtu.be/6x7FN6BVK80

This is part one. Please forgive that piece of poopy saw. I have sinned. The next video will go into detail on more tools and layout, tillering etc. But this is kind of what you need to know but that particular stave is barely fit to burn. I would be ashamed to put that in my fireplace.  Grin  Wink

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 6:39am

Duck I hope you didnt take our teasing as serious. Its when we dont tease someone that they should be worried.  Wink Cheesy

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 3:31pm

Oh no worries haha. I am just curious why it would break at my pencil lines, and sharpy marks lol. The sharpy marks were just marking bits of the growth ring above the one I chased. The knot is pretty obvious why it might be an issue lol. I might make this one into a staff for a staff sling. Can't complain for a free board really.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 3:33pm

I am new to bow making, and trying to read wood grain. Been in metal work since I was 12, but there is no grain involved in that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner)