Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My arm hurts! ( A tentative solution) (Read 2028 times)
RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

My arm hurts! ( A tentative solution)
Jan 16th, 2021 at 12:17am

Now, full disclosure: I think mot veterans in the community are probably aware of this at least in some way or other, and it's not like I've never seen anyone else do this, this is just for others like me who didn't really get the memo and have sore arms.

I've been slinging for about 3 months now, I've gotten good enough to throw hard, fast, and pretty accurately, but my arm hurts after a while, especially with bigger rocks! why is this?

Well I believe I have made a personal breakthrough on that, it's basically recoil, you know like a firearm, I realized that I was snapping my arm to a stop to shoot my projectile, powerful to be sure, but my arm was constantly copping the full force of my throw, not ideal.

Through natural development and watching others on YT I found that I should be twisting my body into the force of the throw and letting my arm and the sling twist around my body for better accuracy and consistent power, but, I had yet to really understand why it was so vital.

I found myself keeping my distance from throwing larger rocks for the most part as I was aware that it usually meant a sting of pain and a fairly underwhelming shot, this was deeply unsatisfying as I'd put so much effort into learning this skill.

Thus, yesterday I stumbled upon my solution, "recoil absorbance".

For a little context, I throw in two main styles, greek overhand (I'm fairly sure) and some version of underhand I saw on YT a while back, I do not use more than one spin usually and my goal is always power, distance, then accuracy. During yet another of my daily sessions throwing into the water, I messed up a shot with a largish rock and my arm followed through and rebounded off my upper stomach lower chest region.... No pain..? Confused I tried it again trying to replicate the same mistake, again, no pain, a sucker for punishment I ran around finding all the biggest rocks that would fit in my sling pouch and threw them all as hard as I could, not even a mild twinge from my arm.

Learn from me brothers and sisters, slinging may be painful to learn, but it can just be your pride, not your arm!

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: My arm hurts! ( A tentative solution)
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 4:35am

Es gibt mehrere Ursachen.
Sie werfen falsch
Sie werfen falsch
Sie werfen falsch

Schmerz sagt ihnen immer, das sie etwas falsch machen.
3monate slingen? Das ist ein Anfang. Mehr aber auch nicht.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 4:56am

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 8:32am

A sling is not a gun. All acceleration of the ammo happens before the release. There is no recoil on the release. It’s impossible. If you don’t believe me, and are convinced that the rock creates some reactive force on your arm, then try this:

Lay a sling or just a cord out on the floor and pull it until it is straight. That’s the wind up. Now to demonstrate “recoil”, push (don’t pull) on one end of the string really hard. How much force can you transfer to the other side?

The way to hurt your arm is when you extend the elbow or shoulder too far or when you pull a muscle. The terminology “recoil” is the wrong choice of words and does not accurately describe the situation, but you are correct that proper follow through helps avoid injuries. Slinging injuries are similar to tennis, because the body mechanics are similar. 
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2021 at 9:32am by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 6:47pm

There is no recoil.  But the sling can hit.  I hope I can explain.  It depends on how well the letter opens.  If the stone stays in the letter for too long, you will feel a strong pull forward.  This happens very often when you shoot without a brake.  The whip at the end isn't just good for a bang.  The whip brakes the sling.  That way it opens up better.  There are other factors.  For a better recommendation I have to see the slingshot and a video.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 7:43pm

If I could sum it up... the amount of recoil is roughly equal to the amount of energy stored by the sling throughout the throw.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 7:53pm

The sling does not store any energy.  It works like a lever.  Energy is transferred.  Not saved.  In the end, the energy is transferred.  On the stone.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 7:55pm

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 7:53pm:
The sling does not store any energy.  It works like a lever.  Energy is transferred.  Not saved.  In the end, the energy is transferred.  On the stone.

Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 8:48pm

If we want to be pedantic about it, a sling can store energy the same way a flywheel does. It maintains kinetic energy as momentum, and you can transfer more until the release, but it is a “leaky bucket” which is constantly losing energy too. That’s a very different storage mechanism than the energy storage in a bow or slingshot, which is potential energy stored by some form of spring.

...and for the most part a sling is more a transmission system (lever) than energy storage system, so I would have to agree with Jaegoor as long as we’re NOT being pedantic Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 11:07pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 8:32am:
A sling is not a gun. All acceleration of the ammo happens before the release. There is no recoil on the release. It’s impossible. If you don’t believe me, and are convinced that the rock creates some reactive force on your arm, then try this:

Lay a sling or just a cord out on the floor and pull it until it is straight. That’s the wind up. Now to demonstrate “recoil”, push (don’t pull) on one end of the string really hard. How much force can you transfer to the other side?

The way to hurt your arm is when you extend the elbow or shoulder too far or when you pull a muscle. The terminology “recoil” is the wrong choice of words and does not accurately describe the situation, but you are correct that proper follow through helps avoid injuries. Slinging injuries are similar to tennis, because the body mechanics are similar. 

I probably didn't adequately explain that when I say "recoil" it's not because I truly believe that it's like a firearm, it was just meant to be a way of explaining to people like myself who didn't understand the more accurate and correct explanation Smiley

But thank you for the more detailed explaination.

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 11:11pm

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 4:35am:
Es gibt mehrere Ursachen.
Sie werfen falsch
Sie werfen falsch
Sie werfen falsch

Schmerz sagt ihnen immer, das sie etwas falsch machen.
3monate slingen? Das ist ein Anfang. Mehr aber auch nicht.

Yup, that was the point of this post, basically me realizing I had been throwing wrong and explaining the process which seemed to be more correct Smiley

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 11:25pm

RickkyBandit wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 12:17am:
it's basically recoil, you know like a firearm,

I'm thinking that I should have said something like " It's basically like recoil from a firearm, in that if you do not brace yourself and manage it correctly it can be very painful, I use this term, though it is not very accurate, because it is more familiar to people like me, and I took ages to understand the more correct explanation and basically stumbled on it by accident and now have a sore arm as a result."

So I'm sorry for all the confusion, I was maybe a bit delirious from pain while typing this post initially and I can see a number of missing portions and spelling errors that support that theory.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 5:20am

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 6:47pm:
There is no recoil.

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 7:53pm:
The sling does not store any energy. 

Morphy wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 7:43pm:
If I could sum it up... the amount of recoil is roughly equal to the amount of energy stored by the sling throughout the throw.

While it may not be recoil the pain is definitely real. The way I describe the pain is similar to dry firing a bow where the energy is not properly transferred to the stone from the body through the sling and instead to some extent gets transferred to the body. Usually the shoulder, elbow or arm in general.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 6:20am

Yes.  Therefore it is completely pointless to only shoot power power power.  Many methods of shooting transmit energy better or worse.  Figure 8 looks easy, is easy to learn, brings quick results, but is not a good sling method.  In the long run, it leads to greater wear and tear on the joints.  There's a reason a sling is turned.  A moving weight is easier to steer than a resting weight

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 6:42am

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 17th, 2021 at 6:20am:
Figure 8 looks easy, is easy to learn, brings quick results, but is not a good sling method.  In the long run, it leads to greater wear and tear....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris)