Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Prepping, homesteading thoughts (Read 3529 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Prepping, homesteading thoughts
Reply #30 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 8:20am

I definitely have a soft spot for old tools. If I see an old axe or a rusty draw knife, I can’t not buy it.

The funny thing about “preppers” is that they seem to always think the solution is to hide in the woods like a cave man, make a bone knife, and rub sticks together until they start a fire.  Camping for a few days is fun, but personally I don’t want to downgrade my lifestyle any more than necessary most of the time. I’d rather fall back to the 1950’s than jump straight to 10,000 years ago the minute the lights go out.

One resource that would be abundant in any major collapse scenario is broken down cars. You can start a fire with a car battery (or make an improvised welder from a few),  make knives out of leaf springs and other tools from the spring steel in wipers. You can generate electricity with an alternator. You can make shoes with tire rubber. The chassis can provide shelter or act as a defensive barrier... the list goes on... and broken cars are not the only resource preppers ignore.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #31 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 8:54am

It's because their goal isn't survival, it's to live out some romanticized fantasy of what they think being a hunter gatherer is like. It's why they are all about living on their own (despite the fact that humans are group animals) and using stones (despite, as you say, metal continuing to exist now for hundreds of years even if all the knowledge we have on how to make new metal is lost). A lot of them actually have no idea how to survive. They might know a few tricks that will keep them alive long enough to kill themselves rather than freeze to death.

I don't want to sound like I'm some expert by the way. I know enough to know I know absolutely nothing. I think Finland can be a good example to use. Finland is a vast, lake and forest covered country. There are plentiful resources here if you know where to look, but you better be storing up those resources as soon as you find them because you will die when winter comes if you don't. No question about it. It's still possible to find food in winter but it's a thousand times harder than in Summer and you will be using almost as much or more energy getting that food as you get from it. Before industrialized farming and modern food distribution, starvation was common and that was WITH an entire village all working the fields. One guy on their own in the Finnish forest, with no food stores in, let's be generous, October? They won't make it to Christmas I can tell you that.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #32 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 9:30am

Oh come now, Kick... all you need is a flat rock!  Use it to break the ice on a lake, then sling it at the water and the stunned fish will just float to the surface  whistle

We just won’t mention how you can literally freeze like a statue in a Finnish winter when your blood circulation slows down after an otherwise moderate gash on the hand or leg.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #33 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 10:02am

Grin I hadn't considered the flat rock trick! I take it all back!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #34 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 8:06am

There are three things I would love on a homestead. To produce raw unpasteurized goat or cow milk, free roam chicken or duck eggs and pure biological honey and honeycomb. These are my favourite foods.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #35 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 9:09am

We have a flock of chickens, ducks, guinea hens, and a single female turkey.onlyy eggs. Only eggs we haven't eaten are Turkey,  which we wll this year. All our toms got sick and died.  I am lookimg to get a couple of hives this year up and running as well. We were debating on goats or behives this year. We made the decision to do bees. Especially since they are in such decline.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #36 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 9:25am

vetryan15 wrote on Feb 11th, 2021 at 9:09am:
We have a flock of chickens, ducks, guinea hens, and a single female turkey.onlyy eggs. Only eggs we haven't eaten are Turkey,  which we wll this year. All our toms got sick and died.  I am lookimg to get a couple of hives this year up and running as well. We were debating on goats or behives this year. We made the decision to do bees. Especially since they are in such decline.

Sounds wonderful!

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #37 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 11:49am

Its really good healthy living. Love it

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)