Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Prepping, homesteading thoughts (Read 3532 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Prepping, homesteading thoughts
Jan 15th, 2021 at 7:14am

I hate the word 'prepper' due to the shows on TV, that make them seem bat sh*t crazy. I perfer the words self sufficient, and  self reliance.  Thats why i am in the woods and building my own personal homestead. it seems that most members here are into wilderness survival,  and bushcraft as well. I am curious if other members are into 'prepping'. My gf and i and always learning new skills, mostly long term food storage, canning, pressure cooking,  dehydrating food,  i am currently teaching her about bug out bags, which i am in the works of building mutiple up. Which our current plan is to bug in, which is to stay home for as long as possible. Which the bags are a last resort. We are surrounded byy 1000 acres of privately owned land, and the border of Canada is about 2 miles away. Which opens up a few towns, and about a million acres of woods. Our town population is about 200 people, the nearest town has maybe 3000 people which is about 13 miles away., but most residents are the outdoors type. I figured this thread can be about prepping, or any type of survival, maybe homesteading.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Re: Prepping, homesteading thoughts
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 8:33am

I like the easy life if possible. But we're prone to cyclones here so I have a storm proof house, a big water tank, food stores, fuel, generator, tools, a bit of solar, first aid kit etc,.

Having gone through a couple of natural disasters the one thing you really miss when it runs out is toilet paper. So we've always got a couple of big packets of that these days.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 9:10am

I took an interest in wilderness survival a few years ago, and then I realized that nothing for 100 miles around me resembles anything like wilderness. There’s still some value in knowing how to forage and trap and build fires and  shelters, but in an urban disaster/collapse scenario, those skills have limited value, and there are a lot of other things to worry about.

The US government recommends everyone have what they need to hunker down for a while. You don’t have to be a “prepper” to be resilient against major disruptions to life. In my day job, I used to work with search and rescue teams who were interested in using tactical robots, and I sat through a lot of interesting briefings on real-life rescue and recovery operations following hurricanes, mud slides, fires, and even the aftermath of hostage situations.  It’s nothing like what you see on tv, and there’s a lot of things you will never prepare for, so you have to be good at adapting on the fly.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 9:34am

If I remember correctly there were parts of Houston out of power for weeks after Ike. (Don’t quote me on that lol.) But that’s what I’ve been told. Nothing wrong with being prepared. My wife and I used to have years of wheat food storage and other things because we really like the idea of having something if you need it. I got laid off at one point and it was really helpful for the time it took to get back to work. We had lots of dried soups and different things as well as puddings, jellies etc. Made our own homemade bread every morning... Man we ate pretty good come to think of it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 11:10am

Oh man!  One of the best things that came out of the early lockdowns last year at my house was that I finally pulled out the sous vide cooker my wife bought me a year before and started learning how to cook with it. We are still eating really well because of it!

... and when the grocery stores were running out of food, we had 10-year-old freeze dried food to fill in the gaps. Definitely need to restock all that now.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 12:17pm

Tp can be used as currency eventually lol. I keep some in my bag, can also use as a pillow. Ever since we moved up here, my gf learned the pressure cook.  On Thanksgiving we can pressure cook a Turkey in 4t minite. It falls off the bones. Its amazing. We try to make everything homemade as best we can. I do have to build up my reserves of staples.

Before we moved, i built up our staples, mylar bags, O2 absorbers. I packed 100lbs of flour, 80lbs of rice. Made almost 100lbs of dehydrated food, fruits, veggies, snacks.that took us almost 2 years with 2 people eating daily. We even traded some eventually.  I did that since i knew we wouldnt have electricity,  or storage. Rice and flour doesnt need it, as long as its dry it will keep i had a ton of prepped food.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 1:50pm

Really NOOC? Man I'm hungry now...

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 6:33pm

I got 5 kids, so a 2 year store of food would probably last a month. It doesn't really seem to matter how much food I have, they'll eat 10 times a day of given the chance. On the bright side I can send them out foraging when it all runs out I guess.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 6:55pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 15th, 2021 at 1:50pm:
Really NOOC? Man I'm hungry now...

Let me tell you... that brisket was amazing! I still have 3-4lbs of it fully cooked and waiting in the freezer... You know I'm only a 3-4 hour drive away Morphy. 

brisket.jpg (75 KB | 7 )
brisket.jpg

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 7:05pm

a wrote on Jan 15th, 2021 at 6:33pm:
I got 5 kids, so a 2 year store of food would probably last a month. It doesn't really seem to matter how much food I have, they'll eat 10 times a day of given the chance. On the bright side I can send them out foraging when it all runs out I guess.

I am sure in your area, that youhave plenty to forage for. I dont have kids, just a few dogs. But they can eat just as much.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 2:25pm

These days it's bat sh*t crazy to not be as prepared as possible.  Like NooneOfConsequence, there is no real wilderness anywhere near me here in South Jersey.  There's the Pine Barrens but the soil is very sandy and poor there.  It's not the best place to try to survive.  I'd be better off hanging tough here in the suburbs.  Consequently my prepping is different from Vetryan's.
    We have increased our arsenal here just because you never know.  I intend to increase it more in the near future.  To assume that the supermarkets will always be full is foolish.  I generally keep in a very good supply of non-perishables.  My biggest ace in the hole is rice.  At any given time I have about eighty pounds of it in.  A little goes along way and it keeps forever.  I also keep in a good supply of pasta, ramen, beans, canned goods, and other various non-perishables.  Even without  foraging, scavenging,  poaching, fishing, hunting, trapping, road kill, etc. there's enough food here to last more than a year if properly rationed.  I am also fortunate to have a good knowledge of edible plants.  I could easily supplement our stores with food that most around me would completely ignore.   
     One can only do so much to prepare for the collapse of civilization but to do absolutely nothing is IMO lazy and insane.  If the chit ever really hits the fan some will survive and many won't.  Stocking up isn't expensive or hard to do. 

Edit:  I also keep in a good supply of kibble for the dogs.  I usually have three fifty pounds sacks in.  In a bad situation they don't really need cans or home made stew.  Those things are a luxury.  The quality kibble I buy is nutritionally complete. They can thrive on just that.   In fact people can eat it too if necessary. 
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2021 at 7:19am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 8:43pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 18th, 2021 at 2:25pm:
I also keep in a good supply of kibble for the dogs.  I usually have three fifty pounds sacks in.  In a bad situation they don't really need cans or home made stew.  Those things are a luxury.  The quality kibble I buy is nutritionally complete. They can thrive on just that.   In fact people can eat it too if necessary.

I'm not going to feed my dogs enough, there will be plenty of unwelcome people roaming about that they can top up with. Probably start with the neighbours, their stored supplies wouldn't last an hour and there's 3 families over the fence on one side, two on the other..
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2021 at 11:37pm by a »  

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2021 at 11:26am

I will be taking up hunting soon. We have moose, and if i get one.  Its 6months of meat. It taste delicious since i know a few hunters up here. Some like to share

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2021 at 4:07pm

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 19th, 2021 at 11:26am:
I will be taking up hunting soon. We have moose, and if i get one.  Its 6months of meat. It taste delicious since i know a few hunters up here. Some like to share

I’ve heard rumors that the hide makes nice sling pouches too! Wink

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2021 at 5:08pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 19th, 2021 at 4:07pm:
vetryan15 wrote on Jan 19th, 2021 at 11:26am:

I’ve heard rumors that the hide makes nice sling pouches too! Wink

Sinew and hide sling with moose testicle ammo.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)