Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slings on display (Read 845 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Slings on display
Jan 15th, 2021 at 1:13am

My grandfather and I built this display case about 25 years ago from cedar that had been cut from his own land.  It originally displayed a collection of knives when I was a teenager, but it has been sitting in storage for years. Today, I finally pulled it out again.

There was only room for 3 slings, so I had to make some difficult decisions about what to display.  Some amazing slings didn’t go in, because I still want to use them Smiley

I decided that I would try to cover the largest geographic spread and also try to show a variety of sling construction styles.  I plan to eventually engrave little plates to tell about each of them (the paper is temporary).  I hope this display is something my children fight over one day when I am gone, because I consider it to be a real treasure Grin

The slings top-to bottom are:
1. Amdocraft wool Tibetan sling, 2020, Tibet
2. Willem’s Rockman and clay glande from SITH 2019, South Africa
3. Judo’s Apache from the time he gave away a bunch of his old slings, 2019, UK

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

a

a

a
Re: Slings on display so you have something really different.
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 3:26am

Nice, you should include a strip sling so you have something totally different.

I collect machetes. I have quite a few different ones from the region and a couple from South America, even some old hand made ones.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Slings on display
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 5:45am

Thats awesome.  Nothing like building stuff from trees on your own land

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 6:51am

I love that. I've never even thought of doing that. Might have to steal this one from you.  Cheesy

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 8:41am

@Morphy, If you want to build one, it’s not too difficult. The back of the display case is pegboard covered with blue felt that is stuck on with carpet tape. You mount things using blue pipe cleaner that blends into the felt. Just poke the pipe cleaner through the pegboard holes wherever you need them, then set the pegboard inside the box face after everything is mounted.  I doubt he’s the only one to ever think of that, but as far as I remember, it was my grandfather’s design.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 12:27pm

That's really nice.  Beautiful!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 12:46pm

Honoured to be displayed! Looks great.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 5:16pm

JudoP wrote on Jan 15th, 2021 at 12:46pm:
Honoured to be displayed! Looks great.

Thanks for the sling!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man)