Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Totally Unique Talents (Read 1544 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Totally Unique Talents
Jan 13th, 2021 at 12:27pm

This thread is about talents that very few have.  I'll start the ball rolling.  I can fit an impossible amount of food in my mouth at once.  Big deal?  Not long ago I shocked and  disgusted my bowling team be eating a large slice of pizza in one bite.  I can literally eat a Big Mac in one bite.  My all time record was when I was drunk out of my mind about thirty year ago and a friend's wedding reception.  I ate a whole loaf of bread in one bite.  I doubt I could do that sober.  I don't remember much of that night afterward.  My younger sister Donna has the same ability.  I once watched her eat eight big sandwich cookies in one bite.  I'll  admit it's not much of a talent, but I've never seen anyone else match it.
    So, keeping it clean, what strange or unique ability do you have?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Totally Unique Talents
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 8:46pm

My unique and totally worthless talent is the ability to make up the craziest crap on the fly. Conversations are never boring with me except when they are. I'm also possibly one of the loudest introverts you'll ever meet.  So while I can get my point across fairly well in type, talking is a feast or famine. Either I'm super quick with comebacks or I have days where I just don't feel like talking. Which is fine. I'm also a fairly decent non-fiction writer.

In high school I was failed on an essay because she felt only a professional writer could've written it. Not a teenager. Essentially a not so nice way of saying "you're too stupid to write this." I still get the warm fuzzies when I think of it.

In the same vein I've read lots of older fiction and non-fiction so at times if I'm not careful I slip into speaking what essentially amounts to early 1900s quasi-academic style of speaking. In other words my vocabulary sometimes slips into a different time period.

This was a big problem when I first started working with criminal offenders in 2014. I literally didn't even speak the same language as Crips from Oakland lol. I was way too formal.  Anyways eventually I adopted  some of their coarser phrasing but it's now mixed with the weirdo speak which makes it even stranger.   Grin

And of course working with Firefighters hasn't helped either lol.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 10:04pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 8:46pm:
I literally didn't even speak the same language as Crips from Oakland

With any gibberish speakers I've found the best method is to speak slowly and succinctly while hitting and jabbing them with your umbrella at each syllable.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 10:32pm

I can totally picture you surrounded by a bunch of street thugs, endeavoring to put on a show of your pugilistic prowess Morphy Grin

My super power is the ability to recall obscure movie and television references that nobody else remembers. It’s usually from shows other people have seen, but somehow I just remember things that don’t make a lasting impression on 99.9% of humanity. Things like the Conan the Librarian scene in the Weird Al movie UHF.  Just try looking someone straight in the eye and slowly saying “Don’t you know the Dewey Decimal System?” in your best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice, and see how many blank stares YOU get!

For reference...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHbdoO7uCkk
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:39pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 8:44pm

I dont have a giant mouth like rat, or a photographic tv memory like Noon. I do have a strange talent though. I can balance 2 spoons at once on my nose. It takes about 7 minutes of balancing in just the perfect way. My girlfriend thinks its weird and dumb but yup its my super power.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 8:54pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 10:32pm:
I can totally picture you surrounded by a bunch of street thugs, endeavoring to put on a show of your pugilistic prowess Morphy Grin

My super power is the ability to recall obscure movie and television references that nobody else remembers. It’s usually from shows other people have seen, but somehow I just remember things that don’t make a lasting impression on 99.9% of humanity. Things like the Conan the Librarian scene in the Weird Al movie UHF.  Just try looking someone straight in the eye and slowly saying “Don’t you know the Dewey Decimal System?” in your best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice, and see how many blank stares YOU get!

For reference...

I'm like that with movies too though you probably have me beat. But music? I have a ridiculously good memory for music. Music is practically my life.

Oh also forgot I have an almost photographic memory for interesting scientific facts. I can hear something once ten years ago and bring it up in a conversation when needed. Not sure how but possibly my science area of the brain is larger because my math area is abysmal.

I took a IQ test given by a professional PhD test giver. I answered virtually every random fact question right. Now, granted at some of the other things I sucked horribly but he was pretty wide eyed by the end of the first part. He just chuckled and said "how do you do that?" Lol.

That being said I really am hopeless at math.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 9:58pm

Well, my farts don't stink and my burps come out as a low whistle when I keep them suppressed!
I call them Party Farts and Whistle Burps!!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:03pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 10:32pm:

For reference...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this...

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:07pm

Tomas wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 9:58pm:
Well, my farts don't stink and my burps come out as a low whistle when I keep them suppressed!

Congrats on all the sex you're having.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 4:00am

My wife has an amazing talent. She cannot remember the lyrics to any song. ANY SONG. It could be her favourite song she's heard a thousand times and she will not be able to recall the lyrics. Doesn't stop her singing them, she'll just horribly mangle the lyrics Grin .
Morphy wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 8:54pm:

I have dyscalculia so my superpower is being utterly atrocious at maths, I'm unable to read analogue clocks in less than 5 minutes and I am incapable of knowing how long it will take me to travel certain distances. I lived at my parents place for 17 years and I never worked out how long it took me to walk to the cinema from there. I was always about half an hour early when going to meet friends because I would give myself way too much time to get there. I'm still not entirely sure how long it takes to walk. It could be anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes. My brain just doesn't mesh with the idea of time and space.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 7:38am

Kick wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 4:00am:
My wife has an amazing talent. She cannot remember the lyrics to any song. ANY SONG. It could be her favourite song she's heard a thousand times and she will not be able to recall the lyrics. Doesn't stop her singing them, she'll just horribly mangle the lyrics Grin .
Morphy wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 8:54pm:

I have dyscalculia so my superpower is being utterly atrocious at maths, I'm unable to read analogue clocks in less than 5 minutes and I am incapable of knowing how long it will take me to travel certain distances. I lived at my parents place for 17 years and I never worked out how long it took me to walk to the cinema from there. I was always about half an hour early when going to meet friends because I would give myself way too much time to get there. I'm still not entirely sure how long it takes to walk. It could be anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes. My brain just doesn't mesh with the idea of time and space.

That's crazy Kick. But how do you do drip rates and dosing???  Some of the drips you guys set up are wild. That's one reason I passed on the idea of being an NP. As much as people die around me I prefer not to be the cause   Wink

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:01am

I haven't had to mess with IVs at the old folks home. We are slightly more medical than a lot of places but not quite that medical. With doses and medicines, I know I have trouble so I triple check and, if I have even the slightest shred of doubt, I ask someone to check. The good thing is that most medical calculations are actually very simple. That's the trick with most stuff in nursing: everything is geared towards being as simple as possible because it's safer that way Cheesy I also understand basic concepts like, for example, if I'm working out how many ml of oxynorm to give someone and it comes out as 2ml, I know something's up. No-one is getting more than 0.7ml on our ward at a time and that's a fair amount.

That's the main way I cope with it, I know I suck at it so I'm ultra careful. Sometimes more careful than people that don't have a problem with maths. Also, it's not that I'm incapable of doing it, it's more that I'm just really slow and sometimes take odd routes to get to the answer. My medical calculations teacher was like "Oh yeah there is absolutely no question you have dyscalculia. The way you work stuff out is weird."

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:58am

I'm not good with math but I've gotten pretty darn good at doing all the calculations we have to do. For example some people have a hard time pushing dopamine but there's a trick to it that you can figure it out in seconds. Same with converting pounds to kilograms. I can usually do that in my head in seconds. Just a weird little trick I've had to pick up.

I remember we caught a call for a Stroke/CVA and the attending nurse was brand new. She was tasked with doing the calc for a tPA drip lol. Her hands were shaking as she was trying to draw it out. That's one scary drug to push if you aren't absolutely sure you are right.

The EMS equivalent for us is Romazicon. And that's a hard pass for me. Luckily we don't use it at my department but even if we did I would sooner bag a benzo respiratory distress patient all the way to the hospital than push that drug.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:06pm

I remember theme songs and commercial jingles forever.  I can sing theme songs and jingles in their entirety from shows and products no one even remembers going back to the fifties.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 7:53am

Morphy wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 10:07pm:
Tomas wrote on Feb 1st, 2021 at 9:58pm:

Congrats on all the sex you're having.

Bahaha first date material for sure

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)