Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
will there be an internatinal in 2021 ? (Read 7232 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: will there be an internatinal in 2021 ?
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 2:19pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:21am:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 8:23am:
I don't do whatsapp.
if you think I'm giving my mobile phone number to a faceless multinational conglomerate - you've never met me lol

I do facebook messenger and that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

Facebook is way more likely to violate your privacy than a phonecall, CA.  Just saying.

nope.
That's just messenger and you can switch that off.
It's not about privacy (that and 'rights' seems to be a mainly american obsession) - I just hate the telephonic aspect of telephones. And I really hate being hassled by machines.

Ibiza is good - should make that, be great to see elvis again - alas he can't come to mallorca (elvis is sonia and marco's dog).
Plus we enver got to the hippy night market last visit.

But not holding my breath yet - still a looonng way to go before october.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 4:38pm

Ok, so if there is some sort of virtual international competition via livestream... when will it be?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 7:55pm

For distance, what about a tennis court?  If a target is at the back of no-man’s land on one side and you throw from inside the other no-man’s land, you’re at 20 yards, which is just under 2m short of a 20m distance. Regulation tennis courts can be found all over the world, and it’s easy to see that the distances are correct.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:54pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:08am:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 9:37am:
We need some kind of handicap for jaegoor. He actually suffers from competition nerves - why he doesn't win everything and has yet to score a perfect 40 points in competition. On his home range - well we've all seen how he slings at home !
Pretty much unbeatable.

These guys are in Berlin.  I'd pitch in some money if we want to hire them to play at Jaegoor's sand pit Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf2P8SnOwLo&t=1m11s

LOL!  That is so distracting.  Just post the GoFundMe link and I'm in.  Wink

In regard to the competition, I'm in as long as it's something I can set up in my yard.  Balearic target, no problem.  20 yards, no problem.  I think any location should be fine as long as the distance can be demonstrated in the video.

I'm not sure about a live stream though.  That would have some of us slinging in the dark.  Assuming there is the widespread participation on the forum that we've seen for some of the challenges.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 8:23am

20 METRES NOT YARDS.

Yards are a little shorter than metres - so no cheating Wink

It's definitely easier to find a field than a tennis court.

Wouldn't know where to start for the latter.

And yeah the vuvuzela guys would be ideal Thumbs Up

livestream probably not realistic.

so we'll have a week in march when qualifying videos can be posted.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #20 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 12:22pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 15th, 2021 at 8:23am:
20 METRES NOT YARDS.

Yes!  Mistype, sorry.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 5:15pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 15th, 2021 at 12:22pm:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 15th, 2021 at 8:23am:
20 METRES NOT YARDS.

Yes!  Mistype, sorry.

You can get 20 meters on a tennis court, but 20 yards is already marked, so there's no other visual verification needed, and it's within 10% of the original.  If everyone switches to 20 yards, then if you don't have a tennis court, you are in the same boat of having to figure out how to prove the distance, but anyone with a tennis court can just start slinging.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #22 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 8:35am

There is a poster available already  Smiley

Ticket is cheaper from Austria at the moment, so booked swift-handedly  Wink
Lets see how the overall situation is if travel is really possible.

Last year there were many tournaments with ample warm-up possibilities, the international nagging paif out finally.
This year a 13person Indian team is expected, looking forward to them!

There will be also a lecture about the history of the sling, Alex has seen it already.
I promise to make the side comments in English also this time, not most of them in ,perhaps a few also in Spanish, which I have to brush up upfront...

Is anyone else here planning to come?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 10:45am

where did you hear about an indian team ?

that would be both weird and amazing.

I don't think we've even got ANY indian members.

Well pep's put an indian flag on the poster - mind you there's also a lithuanian one there and I can't remember any lithuanians - was that last year ?

Intertesting.

Oh god (lol) not another lecture to dodge, and it's not like I drink any more either, so can't even go hide in the nearest bar whistle

I can follow most of the side comments in german and i knoiw dave speaks a lot more german than he lets on.
He's sneaky like that Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 3:48pm

India has a good team.  kachale is also a master of Indian martial arts.  now something else.  Pep is no longer president.  there is a big argument with the feratio Balear.  He is not allowed to use the name of Mateo and he is not allowed to assign any titles.  Pep did a lot for sport.  but now it is dividing sport and destroying ten years.  and that in order to profile yourself politically.  I will therefore no longer support Pep.  for me it is a question of loyalty to the Federacio.  if we want the sport to endure, it won't work without the Federacio.  I will therefore not be there.  I also find a meeting of several countries at the moment just stupid.  Corona is not over.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #25 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 6:29pm

I'll probably be along if the travel arrangements hold up. Have a few friends also that may potentially tag along too.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2021 at 6:54am

I'm with you on the covid thing, the more I look into it, the more complicated and expensive it gets.

As far as the politics goes.
The old school federacio are too stuck in their ways.

If slinging is ever to become an international sport, then a lot of their rules and petty squabbling needs to change.

Competitions need to expand and embrace different aspects of the sport, with different events.
Something that will never happen under the traditional federacio rules.

Pep is a guy who makes things happen and who understands that the hard-line, out of date rules and regulations are killing slinging as a sport.

You're backing the wrong group Jaegoor.

Every year there are fewer slingers in the Balearic Islands.
If things do not change, soon there won't be enough for leagues and competitions.

Pep's not perfect, but his way is the future. If Balearic slinging continues on the old path, it will continue to dwindle and eventually vanish.

It comes down to whether you support tradition and pointless regulations OR do you support slinging and want to expand it as a sport ?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2021 at 3:14pm

you have a big mistake in reasoning.  and maybe also know little.  Pep looks first what is good for himself.  what brings him money.  what is of use to him politically.  and at the moment he uses all international participants.  why is he doing it in Ibiza?  why was he fired?  Pep is a doer.  that's right .  he does for pep.  for no one else.  every sport has fixed rules.  what are the rules of international.  shoot at cans?  to allow everything that somehow makes a stone fly?  in which sport does it exist?  who here has ever read the rules of the Balearic Islands?  so what bad rules are you talking about?  do you even know who is now president of Federacio?  what the international are doing right now is nothing more than going to a party in Ibiza.  there is neither an international federation nor something similar that is allowed to award official titles.  the Federacio Balear would be an important basis.  if this is not understood, they will be Pep's lackeys.  but slingsport will lose its value.  I will not take part in it.  I proposed a good system internationally.  it works very well.  Alex can you get a yellow t-shirt after so many years of shooting?

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Sep 1st, 2021 at 4:53pm

yeah probably, with my ammo - no problem hitting a target.
But how many rules do you have for your 'slinging levels ?'

The whole belt volours in martial arts is a western invention.
The true roots of martial arts had no such nonsense. 

I linked to the full balearic rules this week.
https://tirdefona.es/en/competicion/

In there own words: Quote:
Nowadays the Balearic Slinging Federation is made up of more than 100 members

Not sure how old that informatuion is - but are there still 100 club slingers in the balaeric islands ?
I doubt it.

We have never had anywhere near that number of balearic slingers at any of the internationals.
And they incorporated the interisland teem competition - so pretty much every club slinger would have been there.
Even if you count the ones who just stand and scowl at the foreigners.

So yes I have read the rules and wow - there are a lot Smiley
There is a lot of stuff that is out of date and no longer used.
And there is almost as much bureacracy as competition rules.

We have different agendas - I want to promote the use of slings and slinging as a pastime and to as many people as possible.
Only when you have a lot of people slinging in a lot of countries can you truly have enough people for a serious international sport.

But it needs to start with fun and variety or people just won't be interested. 

You seem to be fixated on the historical aspects only.
And the controlling aspect of rules and bureacracy.

Before pep there was no real interest in the balearic islands in spreading their sport. Year on year there are less balearic slingers.

If nothing changes, it dies.

at the moment pep is the only one offering change.

So you don't like him - so what.
At the moment he's a lot better for slinging than the mallorcans who are opposing him.

And why should a slinging meeting not be a party ?

You seem to want slinging to be an elite 'sport' with rules and levels and all the crap that has created the very tiny number of slingers left in the world.

That's fine - you do that.

The rest of us will try and save the slinger and promote slinging as a sport for all - not just the hidebound few. 

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Sep 1st, 2021 at 5:54pm

sorry.  but you have no idea about martial arts either.  Graduations are not a western invention.  you can find them in Japan, China, Philippines.  yes even in European martial arts.  you find them with guns and without guns.  sorry but you have no idea.  And I never said I hated Pep  I just hate what he's doing.  And even if I am interested in history, I am neither traditionalist nor in an elitist sport.  but hurling the forest and meadows is perhaps movement.  but no sport.  however, i am interested in sports.  what you want is fast food.  fast food cardboard something.  you savior of the slinger.  but do it.  I'm out of it.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)